PDA

View Full Version : GPS

NewCasa
01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Hey - I've got a question for everyone here - what's the best GPS around $150-$250 or so. I might even stretch to $300 for a really good one.

My biggest concern is that the GPS gets me there with as little hassle as possible. The one I'm currently using has been guilty several times of telling me to do a u-turn on the 401 and take the 75B off ramp when there is only a ramp 75. Within a short time of buying it, the unit took me on a tour of Calgary's south end instead of providing a direct route to my destination. I realize that much of this is to do with map updates, however I think there are better and worse algorithms as well. To me, things like vocalizing street names, etc. are secondary, but nice to haves.

Help?

MaO3
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
My son has a Garmin. Its great. Its very fast and accurate. I think he paid about $300 for it.

The only problem I know of with it is the plug in for the Lighter/power cord. The inside breaks, it still is usable but the plug isn't secure. It has the audible street names ect...

NewCasa
01-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks Ma - I've been checking those out and they seem like the standard for the industry.

H.E. Pennypacker
01-08-2009, 08:11 PM
My son has a Garmin. Its great. Its very fast and accurate. I think he paid about $300 for it.

The only problem I know of with it is the plug in for the Lighter/power cord. The inside breaks, it still is usable but the plug isn't secure. It has the audible street names ect...

i agree. get a garmin nuvi...make sure it has text to speech; which will say the street names instead of just turn right, a lot of the time without being specific it can throw you off!

_daynzy
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM
partsource has the nuvi 250 and nuvi 260 on sale.. one has text to speech and the other just says turn right or turn left.. nuvi 250 is 149 and the nuvi 260 is 179

Evangeline
01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I have a TomTom, and it's really good!

NewCasa
01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey thanks for your comments everyone. Keebler, if you never use it would you consider a fair price for it? That looks like the one for me anyway.

riggs
02-06-2009, 11:34 AM
I use a Garmin Nuvi 260 W and it has been great with one exception.On one occasion I took the off ramp to get fuel and then returned to the I-75 S only to realize it had changed the map route.It gave me an alternative route for no apparent reason.I never turned it off during fueling and I may have only been a half mile away from the interstate.I made it to my destination just fine.I just didn't understand why it would change when there was no detours on the other route.

There is a unit out there that will automatically lower the volume of your stereo to give the audible directions which is a feature I would look for next time.

If you want an easy to use and reliable unit with text to speach I would have to agree with the others and go with a Garmin.

gtman2000
02-06-2009, 10:44 PM
I have a TomTom One XLS that i have had for a year and really don't use, I would be willing to part with it for $150. You can find more info at http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=421&Category=0&Lid=22

PM me if you are interested.