PDA

View Full Version : Should Microsoft ditch Vista?

Hans
01-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Yes78%119631 No22%33037 Total Votes: 152668

Poll was done on cnn main web page. By the looks of the windows 7 presentation, windows 7 might make it to retail sooner then expected.

Upper Decker
01-09-2009, 12:56 AM
ive noticed almost no difference between 7 and vista so far other than eye candy and able to do network transfers at respectable speeds.

filthy
01-09-2009, 12:10 PM
I have been using Vista for over 18 months, and it's been great. Xp can't touch Vista when it comes to gaming, which is my primary use of a computer.

Sorry for those who cannot run it because of a mid - lower setup or who are just too scared of it. But for most out there the fact is XP is more than enough for their needs/uses.

Upper Decker
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I have been using Vista for over 18 months, and it's been great. Xp can't touch Vista when it comes to gaming, which is my primary use of a computer.

Sorry for those who cannot run it because of a mid - lower setup or who are just too scared of it. But for most out there the fact is XP is more than enough for their needs/uses.

Well said, you should hear the dumbass things people have said why they dont run vista. One was " a guy i knew ran vista and it killed his hard drive" or " vista still doesnt have any working drivers and none of the software is compatible still".Even on lower setups vista can still run superbly. One laptop vista is running on has a crap x2 athlon mobile (i consider it a dual core sempron myself) and 2gb of ram and it runs hands down better than xp ever did. even my old laptop with a 1.4ghz celeron M ran vista better than xp.

Andre
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
ive noticed almost no difference between 7 and vista so far other than eye candy and able to do network transfers at respectable speeds.

Windows 7 is Vista SP3.

Upper Decker
01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
um no. Its a completely new system actually.

Andre
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
is not

Upper Decker
01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
7 has a new kernal, which is different to the one being used in vista.

Hans
01-09-2009, 01:27 PM
How come Vista is better for gaming then XP?

SSMguy2009
01-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Vista is a lost cause and I am glad Microsoft realized it sooner rather than later. They tried to patch it up but Windows 7 looks like its gonna be good.

Upper Decker
01-09-2009, 01:33 PM
for me the better gaming was the lack of stupid game crashes for no reason , and the error code always ended in 256_1 in xp. Vista ive yet to experiance this problem entirely. And the games that do make use of DX 10 is a little bit prettier too,

Upper Decker
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Best way i can describe 7 was going from 95 to 98.

theGuy
01-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Vista's fine. There were issues at first, but most of them have been solved by now. Vista kicks XP's ass.

I agree that Windows 7 seems to be closer to a Vista SP3 than a whole new OS

Upper Decker
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
thankfully they finally put a public beta out so i can run a 64 bit version and use all my system resources. The 32 bit beta is rock solid so far. only issues ive had so far is msn being trapped in the taskbar vortex

filthy
01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Vista hammers XPs bum in gaming for the reason that Fudd mentioned...Dx10. I've ran Crysis, Far Cry 2 and GTA4 in Dx9 and Dx10 and the difference is very obvious.

I'm sure if you ask anyone here who games a lot, before in Xp and now with Vista, that dx10 provides a visually superb gaming experince, if you have the hardware. It's just evolution. I remember when I upgraded components to XP from Win98...and how Dx9.0c was great for so long (Far Cry, HL2 ect..)

Here's a nice little survey from Techpowerup (GPU-Z) Focus on the DirectX stat.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Hans
01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
DX10 is an API, while Vista is an OS. It's to bad we can not compare DX10 running under XP, as DX10 is Vista only. Smart move from Microsoft.

Upper Decker
01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
and dx10 is out the window pretty soon too, 7 is using dx 11. ive yet to actually test it out myself.

DoubleXL
01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
thankfully they finally put a public beta out so i can run a 64 bit version and use all my system resources. The 32 bit beta is rock solid so far. only issues ive had so far is msn being trapped in the taskbar vortex

This can be solved by running Windows Live Messenger in XP Compatibility mode

Hans
01-10-2009, 12:50 AM
XP wins again, lol. j/k.

Scoff
01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Vista is a lost cause and I am glad Microsoft realized it sooner rather than later. They tried to patch it up but Windows 7 looks like its gonna be good.

Here's someone who would fall hook, line & sinker for the 'Mojave' experiment.

Seven is Vista ... as buddy said, it's the difference between 95 & 98, only by changing the name Microsoft can eliminate the "voodoo" attached to the Vista name for consumers like this.

By the way ... Vista >>>>>>>>>>>> XP.

Perhaps if you have a lower end system & curse at Vista you can try running a version of "TinyVista" ... capable of booting on a P3 with 128 Mg of RAM.

SSMguy2009
01-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Here's someone who would fall hook, line & sinker for the 'Mojave' experiment.

Seven is Vista ... as buddy said, it's the difference between 95 & 98, only by changing the name Microsoft can eliminate the "voodoo" attached to the Vista name for consumers like this.

By the way ... Vista >>>>>>>>>>>> XP.

Perhaps if you have a lower end system & curse at Vista you can try running a version of "TinyVista" ... capable of booting on a P3 with 128 Mg of RAM.

Actually before you disregard me for someone who sits at home on an Windows 98 box, I'll let you know that I tried Vista, several times and even beta tested it for months. I'll admit that Vista does have some nice features but Microsoft incorporated them in the wrong way. The aero GUI is nice but takes up way too much resources. The start menu search proved to be very useful. When I was trained on Dell for the public release of Vista, the training manual stated that Vista was so secure that "sector zero" could not be accessed even by the user in any mode unless booting to DOS. Even viruses and spyware were a thing of the past. I cant even count on my hands and feet how many viruses out there that can cause Vista to crash. I have seen Vista react slowly on high end systems the same as low-end systems. So for some Vista <<<<<<<<<< XP

\m/ Rich \m/
01-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Actually before you disregard me for someone who sits at home on an Windows 98 box, I'll let you know that I tried Vista, several times and even beta tested it for months. I'll admit that Vista does have some nice features but Microsoft incorporated them in the wrong way. The aero GUI is nice but takes up way too much resources. The start menu search proved to be very useful. When I was trained on Dell for the public release of Vista, the training manual stated that Vista was so secure that "sector zero" could not be accessed even by the user in any mode unless booting to DOS. Even viruses and spyware were a thing of the past. I cant even count on my hands and feet how many viruses out there that can cause Vista to crash. I have seen Vista react slowly on high end systems the same as low-end systems. So for some Vista <<<<<<<<<< XP

I guess while you were training for dell i was on the other side training for microsoft.

I've found vista to be far better, even since day 1 - i was one of the lucky one's who's hardware worked straight out of the box. I've been running the same install for well over a year now on this newer build - and go figure, its still running smoothly. XP would require a format/reinstall every 6 months.
Most of the problems i have found with vista have been errors between the keyboard and chair.
Another thing that kept vista in the dirt is all these idiot people who've never tried and their "oh my friend had a really hard time, blah blah" - considering most of these people's friends can barely turn on a computer, no wonder they had problems. Another big part of the uproar was the interface change - go figure, people *****ed when the change was made from 98 to XP.

Some people are just afraid of change and refuse to adapt - i saw screw em, let them rot in the dust.

V Code
01-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Agreed with rich

most people fear vista only because of what their illiterate friends say.

my sister was the same way till i forced her into the x64 version. she had "heard" that it was horrible and wanted to stay with XP but with the system she built she would have been thowing away money unless she went for vista64.

now she loves it.

and to this comment by ssmguy2009

"The aero GUI is nice but takes up way too much resources."

turn it off if your computer cant handle it, or build a computer that can. aero does not use that much resources at all for any newer class computer that can handle the visual specs needed to run aero.

SSMguy2009
01-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I guess while you were training for dell i was on the other side training for microsoft.

I've found vista to be far better, even since day 1 - i was one of the lucky one's who's hardware worked straight out of the box. I've been running the same install for well over a year now on this newer build - and go figure, its still running smoothly. XP would require a format/reinstall every 6 months.
Most of the problems i have found with vista have been errors between the keyboard and chair.
Another thing that kept vista in the dirt is all these idiot people who've never tried and their "oh my friend had a really hard time, blah blah" - considering most of these people's friends can barely turn on a computer, no wonder they had problems. Another big part of the uproar was the interface change - go figure, people *****ed when the change was made from 98 to XP.

Some people are just afraid of change and refuse to adapt - i saw screw em, let them rot in the dust.

I have had first hand experience running Vista, both in its beta stages and in the RTM stage aswell. I have only had a handful of problems with Vista which was pretty easy to resolve. Even after Vista was released to the public, it was still hard to find drivers for some hardware. Even then, the drivers were unstable.

Cruel_Intentions
01-13-2009, 11:08 AM
I am running Vista/Windows 7 dual boot on my desktop (OC'ed E4300/2Gb DDR2-800/Nvidia 7800GT) and on my laptop (T2450 1.8Ghz/4GB DDR2-667/Intel GMA) and Vista runs smoothly on Aero on both systems, neither of which I consider to be 'powerhouses'. I agree with Rich, I installed Vista on my desktop at launch and have yet had to reformat.

While I agree that it is not "completly secure", I find it alot better than XP. With XP I was reformatting every 6-8 months or so. Vista is still running smooth

SSMGUY - You can't blame driver issues on the OS. Microsoft had to change the OS to become more secure. ALL Hardware Manufactures knew about the changes and had access to the operating system about a year before it was released to market and very few of them provided updated drivers because they didn't see many people using the OS or wanted everyone to upgrade their hardware for the new OS. If people just change to a new operating system but use the same printer, HP doesn't make any money off of it. If they have to upgrade their printer, then HP starts to see some profit from the OS change. Microsoft isn't responsible for writing drivers for hardware, just ensuring they have a stable platform to install them on, which IMHO, they have completly done.

DoubleXL
01-13-2009, 11:29 AM

That's funny, I trained the training on Vista for Dell. Vista works fine as long as you are not an idiot. If you are an idiot, use a Mac. If you like to have a bit more control over your machine use Windows, if you want full control over your machine, use Linux. Vista works fine, if you know how to use it. If I remember the training correctly, in no way was there any guarantee against viruses and spyware. I believe the training explained the benefits of UAC, and how it could protect the user. In the end, the user still has control over their machine. No amount of protection is going to prevent you from getting infected if you are an idiot. I have seen XP react slowly on highend systems, same with Linux. It is all a matter of how your machine is configured.

Upper Decker
01-13-2009, 12:18 PM
dont badmouth the mac now lol.

\m/ Rich \m/
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
jeez... i wonder how many people on this board i actually know from suth, but didnt know posted, LOL!

Andre
01-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm just curious about why so many people are saying they have to re-install/format XP every 6 months? Mines been running at least 2 years now and every computer I've put it on is still running it going back for years as well.

SSMguy2009
01-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Same here Andre. The only reason why I had to reformat my HD was because of something I did. Windows never really just "crapped out" on me

Cruel_Intentions
01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
When you install/uninstall alot of software, Vista reacts better than XP. XP will generally bog down after alot of this activity, hence the reason for the format/reinstall. People who only install the software that they need and then only use the computer won't see this problem as much.

Yes the simple solution is don't install/uninstall a lot of software, but then again, that is what I built MY computer for. Just because you may not do the same thing, don't tell me that I shouldn't. I use Vista the exact same way I used XP, and Vista reacts alot better to it.

SSMguy2009
01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I do the same thing as you Cruel Intentions and I have yet to see my XP machine bog down. I am always testing out new software and uninstalling them after I have no use for them or they are simply not what I had in mind. It has been atleast 2 years since my last reformat.

Andre
01-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Yep, I'm installing/uninstalling all the time as well

Chako
01-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Lets take a look at why many people do not like Vista.

1. Microsoft decided to stratify their OS, confusing most people in the process, and it made them look like the greedy people they actually are. I don't think you will see Windows 7 Basic, Windows 7 home premium, Windows 7 Business, Windows 7 Ultimate...or let us hope not.

2. Microsoft further confused people with all the shenanigans about what your really getting if you buy the full version versus the upgraded version. Can I do a full install with an upgrade version? Why am I not getting the 64bit version or 32bit version etc...

3. Microsoft wanted to crack down on pirates, so they restricted the amount of times one can install the OS in the beginning. This got all the computer enthusiast who constantly upgrade their computer in an uproar. They were forced to relax this somewhat.

4. Microsoft created this little thing called MS Advantage which basically ensures that your running an Official Honest to Goodness OS from Microsoft. What they sort of neglected to tell people is that it constantly checks your version with their server, and if it detects anything odd...like oh, you forget to register your authentic OS for 30 days after install. Of course you can install this on XP..but why would you want to is anyone’s guess.

5. Security features that are all or nothing. It is a good idea, however, it asks you to allow or not allow every single thing. Most people just turn this feature off after some time, or click blindly yes out of frustration. Kind of turned a few people off Vista.

6. Failure to give those little Vista bonuses for those who bought Ultimate. Nice idea but no follow through (which was sort of predictable).

You will note that most of it is about how Microsoft handled and bundled Vista and not the feature set (mostly). I myself have found Vista a rather good OS. Vista had many bugs when it first came out, and as a fairly early adopter, I had my fair share of those..but then so did XP by my memory. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft has learned from their mistakes with the next OS.

Cruel_Intentions
01-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Just another thing that kind of made me a bit mad when I worked for MS Tech support. Most people won't admit to it, although I'm sure quite a few people on this board have done it. How many people have purchased an OEM disk and then called Microsoft Tech Support when something went wrong? Then how many people were mad if they were denied support because it was an OEM disk?

An OEM licence is sold cheaper under the premise that the OEM is to provide technical support for the OS, if you buy the OEM version to install on your system, guess what, you are your OEM. Same thing if you buy a system from Dell/Toshiba/any other OEM, they are responsible for the support, not Microsoft. I always kind of laughed when someone called me and I told them they were not eligible for support and they started to yell. If they were nice, I might have helped them anyways, but if they weren't, it was nice knowing I didn't have to support them.

AmdWolfman
01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
I personally think Vista was a beta for W7 OS. Dell, HP,Compaq all were sold with Vista from PC stores, why?....I don't know why not build one even better then the shelf PC.That's becuase way,way,way too many techs burn their customers.

Hans
01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
What's really annoying is UAC under Vista. Even when logged in as administrator it pops up, but does not require you to enter your password. Makes sense, not?
And when you turn AUC off, you get the little red x sitting in your right bottom corner, informing you of a security problem. Which is rather annoying, as over time you could have more then 1 security problem and still think it's just AUC.

I truly hope they fix these 2 issues under Windows 7.

Upper Decker
01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
ya 7 fixes that issue. i thought it was quite annoying too. but i was able to use group policy editor to shut off UAC without a security warning.

Hans
01-14-2009, 06:55 PM
It's almost as annoying as trying to figure out how to change the location of your monitor setup when in dualview mode, lol.

Scoff
01-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Hans, why not just turn Security Center off completely (the easier way - no policy editing)? Unless you actually rely on it for some reason.

Scoff
01-15-2009, 01:23 PM

Sorry, no disrespect intended ... I thought you were running Windows XP but tried Vista on a sub-par machine. I run a damn good machine so I'll take whatever the PC world wants to throw at me for the most part. You won't find me retracting my words even though you were part of a Dell support team and probably know your stuff, I did computer programming & engineering for quite a few years before I moved on. I've never had Vista come down from Viruses or anything but then again I can't remember any of my machines being inoperable due to a virus.

Same as Rich, Vista and my hardware worked out of the box and I've ran it since NCIX had that blow-out sale on Quads over a year ago.

"The aero GUI is nice but takes up way too much resources. "
imo, if your index rating isn't at least 5 then don't use all the desktop features.

" The start menu search proved to be very useful. "
A fairly big resource hog for what it does imo, again shut "SearchIndexer" down if you don't need ... you'll save 20-30 meg of RAM.

I think you could be swayed to Vista. Just an opinion.

SSMguy2009
01-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Dont get me wrong, I dont hate Vista and I would use it if I got a new computer. I would say that some of the features in Vista were poorly incorporated into Vista. For instance, Linux users can install an addon called "Baryl" (sp?) which gives linux users an aero like interface and so much more while running it on a P3 with 128 MB of ram. If you need to have 3 GB of RAM, a mid range to high end vid card, and atleast a dual core to run the aero interface in Vista, there is something wrong.

Scoff
01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Well it is a MS product ... and as a former programmer I can tell you this:

Memory leaks during looping processes.

MS notoriety. :)

But seriously, I would imagine there's a hell of a lot more running in the background than Linux. Again, I'll mention TinyVista, can use a full blown Aero interface etc with 128 Meg RAM and a P3 ... Vista streamlined.

It's doable ... it's about turning off the garbage (background processors) that you don't need. So yes, they could do that better but then they would be sacrificing something (in their minds - Security, User Friendliness, Automation etc etc).

NewCasa
01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
I just read all the changes planned for Windows 7 and I like what I hear. My understanding was that the big things they're doing are slimming things down a bit and making it more user customizable, especially in areas like security, which is so annoying in Vista. They are promising the release for early 2010, but they are also saying they fully plan to have it out much earlier. I think that'd be great.

Scoff
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM
My understanding was that the big things they're doing are slimming things down a bit and making it more user customizable, especially in areas like security, which is so annoying in Vista.

Not sure if those who can't stand it know this ... but if the security in Vista bugs you then just shut off the notifications (along with UAC). It really only informs you of the obvious anyway when it is running.

Control Panel --> System --> Security Center (Lower Left) --> Change the way Security Center alerts me --> Don't notify me or don't display the icon

No more annoyances ... be sure to do regular manual scans to ensure you have an anti-virus or anti-spyware app running. :D

NewCasa
01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info Troll. I used to be really into operating systems and such, but I just don't have the patience for it any more. Every time Mr. Bill changes his o/s I just roll my eyes now. Looks like Windows 7 may be an exception though. We will see.

Scoff
01-16-2009, 05:54 PM
My pleasure :)

Strife
03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Well I just got a new laptop with Vista on it and I am pleasantly surprised. Bootup takes about 1 minute from power on to usable state. The only thing I have an issue with is the UAC. If I turn it off, I get this annoying balloon tip saying that the UAC is off. If I turn it on, everytime I change something, I get that annoying "Cancel or Allow" message.

Upper Decker
03-01-2009, 07:04 PM
go into your security center and there is an option that will change notification if security services are off.

Hans
03-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Wait until IE starts hanging up on you, lol.

Upper Decker
03-01-2009, 07:39 PM
ive yet to experiance that issue lol. my only gripe with vista is crippling network file transfers.

Strife
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
go into your security center and there is an option that will change notification if security services are off.

yes but there is no option to ignore the fact that the UAC is off. I know there is that option for antispyware and virus/firewall protection.

Strife
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Wait until IE starts hanging up on you, lol.

I dont use IE.....I use Firefox.

Upper Decker
03-01-2009, 08:19 PM
no you actually have to go into security center and tell it to not give you notifications for anything.

Strife
03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh ok.....I'll give that a try

Strife
03-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks! No notification and no UAC.....

Madmax
03-02-2009, 08:14 AM
To turn of UAC completly you need to go into the control panel and USERS account. Then click on TURN OFF User Account Control,

Then uncheck the box that says "Use User Account And Control (UAC) to help protect your computer"

After that you will need to reboot.

As for notifications BALOON pop ups, go into control panel and then security center.
Then click on where it says "choose the way security centre alerts me"

Then choose don't notify me or alert me.

Madmax
03-02-2009, 08:27 AM
Now as for microsoft ditching Vista?

Well window 7 is a reproduction model of Vista and they say it will be faster and better then Vista.

We have heard those words many times about all MS os'es.

Truth be known it will be faster then Vista, but will it be better is the actually question?

What do consumers want/need is the bigger question.

Do consumers actual need windows 7 or is XP and/or Vista all they need is the biggest, biggest question of all.

I personally think XP was the test unit for Vista and Vista is the test unit for Windows 7. Soon windows 7 will be the tes unit for windows (WHATEVER OS NAME COMES TO MIND) in the near futrure.

MS needs to make money, billions of dollars to keep its infrastructure going and if they can't meet or succeed this every 3-5 years. They will have to start down sizing and that is costly in itself.

MS needs to keep making OS'es amongst other things to continue to drive the computer industry.

Hans
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I think the biggest question is : will the industry deploy windows 7 better then they did Vista, or will they cling on to their XP machines?

It's a difficult problem that is not only affected by the OS, but also by the hard and software running under the OS.

403_forbidden
03-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Now as for microsoft ditching Vista?

Well window 7 is a reproduction model of Vista and they say it will be faster and better then Vista.

We have heard those words many times about all MS os'es.

Truth be known it will be faster then Vista, but will it be better is the actually question?

What do consumers want/need is the bigger question.

Do consumers actual need windows 7 or is XP and/or Vista all they need is the biggest, biggest question of all.

I personally think XP was the test unit for Vista and Vista is the test unit for Windows 7. Soon windows 7 will be the tes unit for windows (WHATEVER OS NAME COMES TO MIND) in the near futrure.

MS needs to make money, billions of dollars to keep its infrastructure going and if they can't meet or succeed this every 3-5 years. They will have to start down sizing and that is costly in itself.

MS needs to keep making OS'es amongst other things to continue to drive the computer industry.

I do find the latest Beta version of Windows 7 is running faster on my 3 year old PC than VISTA did. In fact it is a lot more stabler.......I have been running 2 weeks without any reboots (the last one was due to a windows update). I actually have been using Windows media centre in Windows 7 to record TV programs and it hasn't locked up or missed recordings (I actually had some lock ups and missed recordings when I was using BeyondTV and VISTA). So far I would say Windows 7 Beta is a far more finsished product than VISTA. Hopefully, it will remain that way at final release. I have also been using Windows 7 in my test lab at work and it has been running great.

403_forbidden
03-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I think the biggest question is : will the industry deploy windows 7 better then they did Vista, or will they cling on to their XP machines?

It's a difficult problem that is not only affected by the OS, but also by the hard and software running under the OS.

Believe it or not....many corporations and government (Federal) are planning on migrating to Windows 7 from their Windows XP workstations....at release time. I know we are at work...we are going to get into the Microsoft TAP program so we plan our migration and do it right the first time....

Hans
03-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I remember the same was said about Vista. I believe it when I see it...

Madmax
03-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I remember the same was said about Vista. I believe it when I see it...

Yeah i agree with that above statement as time will tell if huge businesses will change to windows 7 and many companies have software support for windows 7 or will they still only support XP.

403_forbidden
03-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Vista was different is was very buggy at release and we didn't even look at it (we treated like Win ME :) )......Microsoft won't be supporting XP forever.....that is why we are testing Win 7 beta now and forming a migration plan at release...and I know of a few other major corporations doing the same thing. Besides many corporations have gone through a few PC life cycle management periods, so their work stations have the specs to run Windows 7 (and VISTA for that matter). That will make migration easier...applications will be tested, but that is what Win 7 beta is for.....So far I have had no issues with my test lab at work and my home PCs running Win 7....sometimes I forget it is a beta......