PDA

View Full Version : baseboard heaters

mwrc1
01-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I have two in the basment but when I turn them on the breaker keeps popping would anybody have this ploblem and what was the solution to it

H.E. Pennypacker
01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
most likely they are using more power than the load can handle. is it just the two baseboards on the circuit, or are there also other plugs / lights etc.. on it?

mr ed
01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
they're pluged into the same circuit. Find a plug that is on a different breaker and plug one into it.

mwrc1
01-10-2009, 05:53 PM
they are electric heaters not the ones you plug into the wall

mr ed
01-10-2009, 05:55 PM
could be a short then i guess

H.E. Pennypacker
01-10-2009, 05:57 PM
they are electric heaters not the ones you plug into the wall

are they the only things on the breaker?? or are there other plugs and lights???

BlueSky
01-10-2009, 06:17 PM
If this circuit was behaving before and just started popping fuses out of the blue, I would call in an electrician, and soon. Obviously there is something wrong with the circuit somewhere. And if these are hard wired heaters, I would not attempt to diagnose or repair it myself. Electrical work is not for the novice or amateur.

crazymamma
01-10-2009, 06:39 PM
don't mess with it call an electrician he'll let you know if it's the heater or if it's a wiring problem

Shaggy
01-10-2009, 06:42 PM
If they were working before, then the cause is likely a grounded heater element. You should be able to turn one off at a time and reset the breaker to isolate which one is the problem - at least then you can use one for now. If the breaker blows with both thermostats off (or one, if it controls both), then you have another heater on the circuit that is the problem, or you have wiring issues. Most likely you will wind up replacing one heater, which shouldn't be too expensive.
As BlueSky said, it would be best to get someone qualified to look at it, but if cost is an issue, there is no danger as long as you leave the breakers shut off.

Hans
01-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Bad heating element. You will need an electrician to isolate and repair that.

Vox Boy
01-10-2009, 08:30 PM
If this circuit was behaving before and just started popping fuses out of the blue, I would call in an electrician, and soon. Obviously there is something wrong with the circuit somewhere. And if these are hard wired heaters, I would not attempt to diagnose or repair it myself. Electrical work is not for the novice or amateur.

This is the best advice you're gong to get on this thread.

us2
01-11-2009, 09:05 AM
you could have a bad breaker the get weak over time

Sophie's_Mommy
01-11-2009, 11:16 AM
i have baseboard heaters when i turn the heat on they all work but the bathroom one, i noticed on the bathroom one there is a dial on it but it wont turn and i can t get heat in the bathroom, its get mighty chilly in there sometimes when showering, good thing the babys tub is portable, i bought her a inflatable ducky tub that she sits in and you fill it with water and the beak quacks its cute..lol but ya anyways any idea how to fix that problem so i can have heat in the bathroom?

someguy
01-11-2009, 11:19 AM
i have baseboard heaters when i turn the heat on they all work but the bathroom one, i noticed on the bathroom one there is a dial on it but it wont turn and i can t get heat in the bathroom, its get mighty chilly in there sometimes when showering, good thing the babys tub is portable, i bought her a inflatable ducky tub that she sits in and you fill it with water and the beak quacks its cute..lol but ya anyways any idea how to fix that problem so i can have heat in the bathroom?

Have the dial on the heater or the whole unit replaced.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-11-2009, 11:44 AM
guess i ll have to call the good old landlord up then..lol.least i have a great landlord not one of those slum lords, he cleans this building all the time washed walls he is a super neat freak, shovels all the time if there is a problem he takes care of it asap..hes great..lol.ya i was guessing the same thing having to have it replaced..