PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of extra pounds

IMHO
01-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Has anyone found a combination of foods that when eaten seem to help you feel better and lose weight? I know that starving is not the way to go but there must be foods when eaten in combination will rev up the metabolism. Anyone have a secret to share? What has worked for you to get rid of excess weight? What about lotions, potions and pills?

KDawg
01-11-2009, 08:35 AM
For what it's worth, check out "negative calorie" foods at this link.

http://weightlossinternational.com/newsletter/free-list-of-negative-calorie-foods.html

starterwiz
01-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Mmmm...cardboard.
I remember a girl in grade 2 or 3 that used to eat paper. She was skinny.

KRP
01-11-2009, 09:32 AM
After I had my son I did Weight Watchers and lost 20 lbs in 3 1/2 mths and 4 pant sizes. I felt great and then I got pregnant with my daughter and had more health issues arise. I'm still dealing with health issues but once I have them taken care I plan to go back on Weight Watchers. I'm not promoting Weight Watchers by any means, just saying that myself I wasn't sure how to lose any at the time. I had a few people I knew who were on WW and were losing weight so I decided to give it a try. I learned what to eat and lose weight and never be hungry. Try looking up some Weight Watchers things online and see what you can get from those sites, might help.

Upper Decker
01-11-2009, 09:36 AM
rice and skinless chicken breasts and exersize.......you'll lose 25 lbs in a month or 2.....i did atleast

Sweet Little Sister
01-11-2009, 10:36 AM
the thing that works the best for me is to make sure i eat three meals a day. sounds weird i know, but if i eat those three meals as opposed to grazing all day which is what i normally do..i lose what i want to (2-3 lbs)..to maintain my weight.

don't waste your time or money on lotions, potions and pills..
diet and excersise will do it for you if you're serious about losing the weight.. imo of course.

good luck to you. :)

PrairieDog43
01-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Try this...

http://www.nutrisystem.ca/nutrisystem/

EyelashExtensions
01-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm using a combination of slim fast and weight watchers. I make the slim fast shakes with 0% milk. I'm not eating any whites...no potatoes, pasta(unless whole wheat) or rice. I'm not eating any meat at all except some fish. I bought the weight watchers meals from the grocery store and eat one for dinner. I'm trying to avoid most dairy, with the exception of the 0% milk and a bit of fat free/low calorie yogurt. I have reduced my coffee intake to one a day(just so I don't get a headache) because I use a lot of creamer. I have never really been a fan of bread or pop, so I don't have to worry about that stuff.

Knit1
01-11-2009, 10:55 AM
starving does not work. Watch the show the Biggest Loser, they give lots of advice through out the show. Some contestants dont lose weight when they miss a meal because it causes you to slow your metabolism down. You actually need to have energy to raise your metabolism to lose the weight, especially if you are going to exercise.
Stop eating white bread, pastas are not good either because they are very fattening. Also all condiments , dips, spreads etc are what makes most items fattening.

hollyb6
01-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Get a gym membership and eat healthy. It's not rocket science. I lost a lot of weight working out for 6 months and cutting off all fast food (subs were ok and treat like ice cream in moderation). I lost a total of 130 pounds so far (lost almost 100 when I was going to the gym) and that was back in 2006.

I wouldn't trust and pills, creams, drinks, nutrisysyem crap ... it's a cash grab. Join a gym (and if you think that's a cash grab) then work out at home.

EyelashExtensions
01-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm not starving myself if that was referring to me. I just dropped a lot of "junk" and fatty foods from my regular food. I have always ate healthy and for the longest time I would not eat most meat, because of the fat content. Really they key to losing any weight is exercise. It's a must. I also bought a food dehydrator and make my own granola breakfast bars. I also loaded up on salads(which I only put vinegar on, lol), fruits, veggies.

lynys
01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Unless you have an allergy, you need carbs to survive, so cutting out all pastas, rice breads, etc. is not gonna help you keep weight off.

The minute you start re-introducing them, you are done for.

Try rice pasta. Takes like normal pasta, breaks down easily and is perfect (even for people who have a celiac allergy) for weight loss.

Eat at least three meals a day. But, don't over-eat at those meals. You need the energy to keep you going. Eat actual serving sizes. Don't over-do it.

Snacks should be small and healthy. Don't grab a chocolate bar. Eat some home-made trail mix (nuts, raisins, oats, etc) Only a handful to curb your cravings should do it, as nuts are high in fat. Or, have a slice of whole grain bread with peanut butter on it.

Drink at least eight glasses of water every day. It helps to curb your appetite and is good for helping your body burn fat.

Do not eat just before bed. Makes sleep more difficult and the food doesn't really burn that well.

Treats are fine, as long as you are not over-doing it.

You need to get exercise. Period. Sitting on your ass eating all day will not help you to lose weight. ;)

kitty&mimi
01-11-2009, 11:19 AM
high fibre
lots of veggies, lean protein, fruit, water
carbs: oatmeal, whole grain types
basically, eat healthy and exercise

Jack Butler
01-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Has anyone found a combination of foods that when eaten seem to help you feel better and lose weight? I know that starving is not the way to go but there must be foods when eaten in combination will rev up the metabolism. Anyone have a secret to share? What has worked for you to get rid of excess weight? What about lotions, potions and pills?

It's a lifestyle change....potions and diet seldom work or at least last.
You have to want a healthier life that includes exercise.
Learn about food and preparation and where the calories can hide.
And, yes you have to eat to lose fat.
Starvation stores fat making the body consume the fine muscle tissue.
The scale may show a decrease, but you have increased your fat percentage by decreasing your muscle mass.
For that reason, set your goals with a tape measure, not a scale.
The lose of inches on a tape shows a different result than a lose of weight on the scale.

EyelashExtensions
01-11-2009, 11:57 AM
"Unless you have an allergy, you need carbs to survive, so cutting out all pastas, rice breads, etc. is not gonna help you keep weight off."

"The minute you start re-introducing them, you are done for."

Except for pasta I have never eaten rice or bread...exactly why I switched to whole wheat pasta :)

houlegan
01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Carbs are great if they are the "good carbs"...eating WHITE FLOUR pancakes everyday is not GOOD carbs...

Make healthier choices and eat more fresh foods - fruits, vegs, salads, eggs...

Follow the Canada Food Guide - watch your portions, calories, and exercise every day! Exercise doesn't have to be heavy duty Tai-Bo or Kick-boxing ... just be active.

yoda
01-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Has anyone followed the Low GI diet? It sounds fairly healthy and not too complicated. I'm on way to pick up some groceries and I'm going to try some of the basics, eg. large flake oatmeal etc.

Evangeline
01-11-2009, 12:33 PM
You also need to have fat in your diet, cutting out all fats will dry out your skin and hair, and it's bad for you connective tissue.

AngelOnHigh
01-11-2009, 12:38 PM
My g/f has lost 130 lbs in less then 8 months... she does weight watchers, walks a lot and now does WII fit to some really heavy metal music. It gets her heart pumping and the weight is now just melting off. She still has about 70 lbs to go... and I bet it will be gone by summer. She is doing it very healthy and working her butt off... literally!

EyelashExtensions
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I've been walking, but it's not enough. I've been searching everywhere for an elliptical. There was some on one of the classifieds websites but they seem to be pretty popular. My biggest problem is being inactive. The only "free" time I have is the morning and I'm not very energetic at that time. There is also no where to walk. The same scenery over and over again get's pretty boring.

Slow
01-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Let me finish this Coke and Reese's peanut butter cup, and then I'll get back to you guys on some of my dieting secrets...

Tutones
01-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I've been walking, but it's not enough. I've been searching everywhere for an elliptical. There was some on one of the classifieds websites but they seem to be pretty popular. My biggest problem is being inactive. The only "free" time I have is the morning and I'm not very energetic at that time. There is also no where to walk. The same scenery over and over again get's pretty boring.

If you wait for exercise to be interesting, it will be a long wait. Trust me. I've been waiting 10 years.

MaO3
01-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I have sort of the same problem when it comes to the walking. I don't have the option of a circut. I have to walk up and down the same street.
It sucks. I've decided to go back to the gym.

Intangible
01-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Eat three balanced meals a day, plus one or two snacks, but nothing before bed. Stop eating about 2 hours before bed.

Eat whole grain carbs, low fat dairy, lean meat, high fibre, eliminate pop, drink lots of water, don't eat trans fats or fried food. Watch portion sizes. There are lots of great books out there you can use to educate yourself on nutrition. Leslie Beck has a couple of good ones. She is a Canadian nutrition expert and is often on Canada A.M.

Be sure to incorporate strength training into your exercise regime. Three times a week is great. You don't need a gym...just pick up some dumbbells and an exercise ball. Machines are great, but not necessary. Walking is great too.

There are no short cuts. You don't gain weight overnight and you don't lose it overnight. 1-2 pounds per week is a healthy weight loss. Fad diets that promise more usually involve water and muscle loss. Less muscle=lower metabolism=get fatter eventually.

Whatever changes you make need to be those you can commit to for a lifetime. Temporary measures will eventually lead you to regain weight.

Suze
01-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I put on a whopping TEN pounds over the holidays and have already lost seven of those pounds. I did it by cutting out all the alcohol I was drinking, eating a smaller portion of oatmeal for breakfast, soup or something lighter for lunch, TONS of water during the day, a handful of whole almonds or fruit as snacks, and for dinner filling my plate with mostly veggies, a proper portion of meat and brown rice. I have also been working my butt off at the gym. Proper, healthy diet AND exercise is the ONLY healthy way to lose the weight.

And carbs are not only healthy, but usually necessary and as long as you stick to whole grain - brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc - you are on the right track.

borntoraisehell
01-11-2009, 06:36 PM
go on a crash diet

Forever Wandering
01-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Hey Lizzard Skills check out Canadian Tire, I was in there earlier this week and they had all their fitness equipment up to 50% they had a stack of treadmills and elipticals in middle aisle for under $200

EyelashExtensions
01-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks forever...I will.

EyelashExtensions
01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
If you wait for exercise to be interesting, it will be a long wait. Trust me. I've been waiting 10 years.

lol I actually love to work out. I just don't like walking unless I have good scenery(like hiking) or I'm going shopping, lol. I feel I'm being more productive when my heart is racing and sweat is pouring off me. I lose weight faster than I gain it, but I want it off fast! By May I want to be back to my regular weight. This is the heaviest I've ever been. Even though I don't look as heavy as I actually weigh. But I still need to lose a few pounds.

kitca
01-12-2009, 03:50 PM
hey, that is great about the girlfriend loosing all that weight!

the gi index is very intersting, reading that made the whole complex carbs vs simple carbs easily understandable. and i switched from instant oatmeal to large flake oatmeal and it makes the brown pasta easier to eat.

i also have been reading on how aspratame (sp?) and msg cause obesity and other problems and to make sure to keep them out of your system.

and depending on what diet you are following whether to mix your carbs with the proteins. i find it best to combine them, i do not get as hungry as fast. im thinking of some tips that dr. oz was mentioning: toeat a homemade vegatible soup about 20 minutes before supper, to help your appetite, and he also said to take a teaspoon of olive oil and dip some whole wheat bread into it (like the itallians do) and there was something about the olive oil and it filling you up also that were supposed to be so good for you.

even though i had gastric bypass 3 years ago, i still have to be careful and watch what and how i eat so as to not gain back any weight.

its the exercising that is so hard! why is it that it is so impossible to find a lousy 30 - 60 minutes 3 times a week? it just doesnt make sense. i noticed that the music i have on my mp3 makes a huge difference. if its fast and i like it, i notice i work harder, but if its a slower song, i see my speed slows and my heart rates slows. so i erased my mp3 and put all fast good stuff on.