PDA

View Full Version : windhield icing up

really?
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Why is it I am the only person I know who has to scrape the inside of the windshield (all the other windows too)? All the cars around me collect frost on the outside. I have snowpiles in my car now from the frost scrapings off the windows. How is all the moisture getting in? It's not an old car (2005) and doesn't have cracks or holes anywhere I can see...

Anyone?

b&aMom
01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Mine does it too. Are you making a lot of short trips? Knocking the snow off your shoes/boots before getting in? I have both going on...short trips and the kids hauling in a parking lot worth of snow every time they get in. I'd crack the windows a bit on the next sunny day. Not all day, just for a bit to let the humidity try to even out. Shouldn't take long, my house is at 20% humidity, so it's got to be waaaay drier outside.

Peety
01-14-2009, 07:18 PM
I always turn my heater setting to floor that solved my problem!

crazymamma
01-14-2009, 07:26 PM
it's cold out there happens to me aS well....

kodak57
01-14-2009, 07:40 PM
both mine, i shut off the outside vent switch on dash till they are warm,also with snow on the cowl i guess some call it below the windshield, most vehicles that is where fresh air comes in,in mine anyway,i keep that clean and free of snow at all costs.

really?
01-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I guess it's not just me! Thanks folks. I do make lots of short quick trips but it's just me in the car and I try to be careful with the snow I bring in. I'll try leaving the window open a crack too one day. I wonder how much moisture just breathing in the car creates? Maybe I should stop belting out my favorite songs when I'm driving and take up breathing excerises instead!

hp2
01-14-2009, 08:37 PM
This might sound funny, but do you get into your car with wet hair.. or damp hair?

98sierra
01-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Its all the snow that has melted in the carpets.

hp2
01-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Its all the snow that has melted in the carpets.

true enough.. But I can honestly tell you I have a Dakota.. and the heat my truck blows is crazy... I have never felt heat in a vehicle like this one.. I can turn my heater on floor for min 30 mins and my carpets are dryed out..... I find with 5 of us in and out of it all the time.. MY window do not fog up unless i Get in with wet hair...

italiandomino
01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
what is a windhield ???

verotik66
01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
it is that see through thingy that gets all iced up

too much mouth breathing you got a nose use it

BlueSky
01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
If you have AC, turn it on.. it will take out the moisture.

really?
01-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks folks for your suggestions with this small yet annoying issue. Just did some searching and found this link too.

http://dctech.com/physics/features/0103.php

b&aMom
01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
Wet hair. DOH! I never thought of that. I do it all the time.

IMHO
01-14-2009, 10:57 PM
About 2 blocks from home...switch the heater to the coldest setting and have it turned onto the windshield. Also open both side windows and allow the cold air to invade the inside of your car. You have now eliminated that problem. Also...if you leave a window down just a crack this will work also.

My Sharona
01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Make sure you car is cooled down on the inside before you park it for the night. this will work. If the car is too warm on the inside when you park for the night, frost will appear on the inside windows.

goodasgold
01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I live a couple of minutes away from work and still have problems with the inside frosting. Only on the windshield. My car is not really warm when I get to work. I find I need to leave my front windows down a bit otherwise it takes awhile to defrost the windows. My car is a 2009. I also have a problem when driving that I cannot have one back window open, otherwise there is an awful noise and pressure in your ear.

hp2
01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Wet hair. DOH! I never thought of that. I do it all the time.

LOL Ill be the first to admit I do it.. about 89% of the time.. NOT caue I want to but it does happen, as I will not leave my house unless I shower and theres some mornings before school I just dont have time to let it dry or to dry it... and B&a mom.. some people do not think of silly little things like this as they have the heater on and dont think about it...

my other half is a mechanic and has heard it more times then not as some one has come to him with this problem.

Anapeg
01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
* I haven't had steamy windows in a car since I was a teenager.

Barry Morris
01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Gee, that's too bad!! :) :) :)

Tom Stephenson
01-15-2009, 07:41 PM
There is something else that can happen with your car. I often get into the cold car with clear windows, start it up, then drive off. If there is a light dusting of snow on the car, the snow can fall down into the vent area, usually under the windshield wipers. That snow then gets blown into the heater core and fan. As the core warms up, it melts the snow, the warmer moist air is blown into the car and when it hits the cold windshield it then frosts or fogs up the windshield almost instantly. I've had situations where I'm on the highway and within about 30 seconds I've gone from a clear windshield to one that I can't see through. I have to pull over and wait about 5 minutes until the heat is enough to warm the windshield again.

yoda
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
leaving the window open a bit worked for me this morning