PDA

View Full Version : Risperdal

Ultra54
01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

Chaotic Chick
01-16-2009, 06:22 AM
I have not personally, but my husband has. He took it for severe depression and the side effects for him were horrible. (It is usually used for another disorder, but he had "treatment resistant depression"; none of the typical anti-depressants worked for him). His hair fell out, he was very aggressive and he gained about 60 pounds. He was told a weight gain would be possible, but his doctor said most people only gain approximately ten or 15 pounds. Maybe he gained so much because it made him sleepy and lazy? He was on it for a few months until the depression was gone and he certainly wouldn't want to be on it again!

bluekrissyspikes
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
my ex was on it for a while and he gained a lot of weight too, but at the same time he got very aggressive and seemed worse off than before he was on it. that's not to say it wouldn't help some. he said he felt better but he was acting a lot worse.

Chaotic Chick
01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
my ex was on it for a while and he gained a lot of weight too, but at the same time he got very aggressive and seemed worse off than before he was on it. that's not to say it wouldn't help some. he said he felt better but he was acting a lot worse.

That is how my husband felt; like he was getting better. But in reality, he was angry, aggressive, and snapped at me when I asked a simple question. I would ask him how his day at school was (he was in college at the time), and he would say, "What the hell is it to you?" :omg:

It is good for some disorders; not everyone has the same experiences, of course. But when my husband was on it and I was researching the drug I found that it was not uncommon to have weight gain, and aggression was less common, but definitely a side effect. It is a good thing my husband has is young and has thick hair though, or he would have been bald after taking it lol. Every morning when I woke up, there was hair ALL over the pillow cases!

Ultra54
02-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the response . I wonder if you recall what dosage they were on? My son is on .5mg a day for an unrelated use also.

bluekrissyspikes
02-01-2009, 01:47 PM
i beleive it was 1mg.

Chaotic Chick
02-01-2009, 07:24 PM
My husband was on .25 mg for a couple of weeks, then .5 mg after that.

Ultra54
02-01-2009, 10:37 PM
wow, thats a low dosage. It is primarily used to treat manic depressive and schizophrenia but obviously has other uses. From what I read most are on much higher dosages up to 5mg.

bluekrissyspikes
02-02-2009, 12:35 AM
yeah, they increase the dose very slowly though, and i think the higher doses are for treating more serious problems than depression, ect.