PDA

View Full Version : Bartholin's Glands

lynys
01-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Another ladies topic...

If any of you ever have had or know what the Bartholin's Gland is, you will most definitely understand the agony I am in right now. For those who do not, the Bartholin's gland is located just inside of the ****** and is responsible for lubricating the labia (as per my understanding) Sometimes, the drainage area of the gland will get blocked which can cause an absess or cyst.

I found out on Tuesday night, after only that day of warning, that I have a Bartholin's cyst/absess. The pain is unbelievable! Even harder to get caring people to actually understand the pain I was in.

I am day three right now, and in more pain then day one. Yesterday was spent in the ER with morphine and some other pain med that worked wonders. The only other real relief is lying on my back. Walking, sitting and just about moving around is pure agony.

I will be going to the hospital today for the marsupiliation (I think that is how it is spelled) which mean they will be opening up a hole to drain it out. The hole closes over time back down to a small hole. (I was supposed to have it done yesterday, but was bumped in line *insert sad face*)

So, the swelling is very real. I have had three doctors touching this swollen area, and two that did an internal poking at the swelling. Apparantly, these things can burst (so not wanting that to happen) and can be taken care of by antibiotic (but, it doesn't always get better, and you have to sit out the pain and pressure)

I chose surgery to relieve the pain (in spite of the longer healing time) and to hopefully guarantee it does not happen again. *fingers crossed*

Anyone else proud enough to say they withstood this absolute torture? I think God really does hate us women. ;)

Sophie's_Mommy
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
i know exactly the pain you are going threw, a friend of mine had the same thing and she cried and cried, she made me look at it and it looked so painful. She could not walk or sit, sh had to lay down and she had it drained as well and after they drained it it still hurt for a couple days but nothing like before it was drained. You will feel some relief after they drain it but it will still be sore when u walk or sit and wipe after peeing, that is a very sensitive area. I feel for you i really do...

$Spendbender$
01-16-2009, 11:25 AM
.....she made you look at it?????????

That's one way of finding out who your true friends are...LOL!

Seriously though, I have no experience with what you're talking about Lynys, but I hope you feel better soon.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-16-2009, 11:50 AM
yes she made me ,look...lol...i saw it before she went the the dr's to find out what it was, she was scared and said u have to look at this i dont know what it is and she was really scared i saw it and was like, u best be getting that looked at..lol.it was not a pleasant sight but she has the same thing i have and we have been friends for 25 yrs so it was nothing embarrassing, we are adults..lol.

mags
01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Hope you feel better soon. Never had but did see it when in nursing school and working on a gyn ward.

Chaotic Chick
01-16-2009, 02:34 PM
My sister had it when she was younger. She opted for surgery; she cannot take any pain medications other than ibuprofen so she was desperate. She couldn't even sit without excruciating pain. That was probably about eight or nine years ago, and she hasn't had it again. I hope you feel better soon. It sounds horrible! :(

nightingale
01-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Ouch! I'm in agony just thinking about it! Good luck to you Linus!! I feel for you!

lynys
01-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Two days and no surgery. *sighs* Third times a charm?

Funny story. My mom calls last night, and in her motherly fashion says, "So, I was looking up those glands online. Any idea how you ended up with a problem from them? I mean, did they say?"

I knew exactly what she was referring to, as in a lot of cases, they become infected due to std's (clamydia and gonnerhea) I said, "Nope. I do not have any, nor have I had any std's Mom."

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but apparantly, many women get these cysts, just most don't have any pain from them as they are not infected. They just clear up on their own.

I assume mine became infected because I have been fighting this cold for over a month now, and my immune system was low. No fight left in me for infection I guess.

I dunno. That story made me laugh. Well, that and the doctor yesterday... :P

Sophie's_Mommy
01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
sorry to hear yo have not had your surgery yet. that sucks, and ya hopefully 3time sin a charm, and i have to ask, how did the dr make you laugh? you dont have to tell if you dont want to..lol.

lynys
01-17-2009, 05:45 PM
Sooo! I'm healed!

The relief is absolutely amazing! Doc says there would have been no other option for me besides surgery, so I am glad I chose to do that.

Thanks for the well wishes guys! :)

Just to forewarn any of you... If you have any pain whatsoever in the ******l area, make sure you get it checked out ASAP. I am a relatively healthy person and maybe it is my lack of actual health issues, but my God! it hurts! I would not wish that on anyone!!!

Third time was a charm! :)

lynys
01-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Oh, as for the doc...

He was asking his normal doctorly questions. Asked if I had ever been pregnant (no) when my last period was (about ten days ago) then asked if I was pregnant now? I looked at him and said, "Um, no?" and he replied with, "Oh, wait, yeah, you had a test done when you came in... was negative." So, I said to him, "Yeah. Between that and the last period, info, you'd make a good detective." ;)

We had a laugh, then I winced cause I was hurting. haha

Sophie's_Mommy
01-18-2009, 10:19 AM
lol, well im glad you are healed and feel better. :)

lynys
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Yep. Feel much better.

Aside from the nausea resulting from the anaesthesia and the lack of food for four days. haha

There is a slight pain leftover. Been taking tylenol 3's and have my appetite back. Still hard to sit, just because of the pressure from the surgery. I think I read it will take up to six weeks for healing, but I truly believe I will be feeling better before then. I was told no work for at least a week. Depends on how I feel after that week is up whether I return or not.

I seriously would not wish this on anybody. It truly is cruel in my opinion. LOL

MaO3
01-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Wow Lynys, I just read this thread. Holy Crap is all I can say. I'd never heard of this gland before, and god knows sure dont' want to ever experience what you've just been through. YIKES

I hope your feeling better.

lynys
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks Ma...

I had never even imagined something like this existed, let alone would happen. The pain was unbelieveable.

After this surgery, healing time should be about 6 weeks. Hopefully, I can get back to work next week however, as I have already been off for a month. I stopped taking pain meds as I found it really was not doing anything for my pain anyway. The only real pain I am experiencing is what I can associate with a stitch pulling every once in awhile.

It is a very tender area, and I am being quite lazy, hoping to give it as much time as possible to heal nicely. I have found that rinsing with warm water after using the washroom has helped and that sitz baths feel really, really good. LOL

Keebler has been amazing though. Between doing dishes, cooking meals, cleaning house and still going to University and working... he's been a Godsend, and I am truly lucky to have such a person in my life. Now, if only my pets could understand that they can't be jumping up into my lap without me hollering in pain... :P

MaO3
01-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Ouch sounds like the pain after childbirth! Except after childbirth at least you have the baby to make it all worthwhile.

I hope your recovery is quick Lynys.

lynys
01-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Ugh. Another thing to add to my surgery drama.

I awoke at 3 am with the most intense pain in my upper abdomen ever. It was right under my ribcage, and lord did it hurt. I had to get out of bed (after waking Keebler and having him rub my back for me) and went to lie on the couch.

After about two minutes on the couch, I had to run to the washroom as I was going to be sick. (I have not been sick since Sunday, when the anaesthesia wore off)

Was able to lie back down. After about half an hour, the pain had subsided quite a bit, so I went back to bed. (I had tried taking some Tums too... but I am not sure they worked for me)

At 6 am, I was back up with the same problem. The pain was not nearly as bad as the first time, but enough to have waken me up. I got up, and came out to see if Chix was online and asked her what to do. (she's got experience with this) The pain seems to have subsided since getting up, but I am really tired and want to be able to sleep... well.

So, I am sitting here with hot water, which she says should help to break up the gas in my stomach. *fingers crossed*

This surgery has been hell on me. I have lost ten pounds since last week. Yesterday, I did manage to suck up the pain and made dinner for Keebler and I. Felt good to actually do something (even though I was really tired after) I am tired of being caged up in the house though. I just know I'll be sleeping the morning and most of the afternoon away now. :@

Ah well. Tis life. :(

mags
01-22-2009, 07:21 AM
How are you doing? It does sound like gas. Constipation is an other likely culprit.

lynys
01-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Aside from the slight soreness I feel from the surgery (I stopped taking the T3's, as I wanted to be able to measure the pain for myself and see how far along I am healing) I am okay. Well, add this new occurence, but yeah, just tired.

I have not taken anything for the pain in two days. Just wanted to be able to tell if I am over-doing it on my own. If I was taking something, it would more then likely mask the pain near my wound, and cause problems or damage.

Sitz baths... suck. Just having to do them is a pain in the rear, but they get done. I am feeling over-tired though; especially right now, and have a headache starting.

I am just itching to get back to work. I had already been off since Christmas Eve as I took holidays after Christmas, and then the boss was closed for the first few weeks of January to do some stuff he had to get done. I was supposed to start back to work on Monday, but thanks to this was forced to take this week off. Told the boss I would work short shifts starting Monday. If I get sore and tired I will be able to just sit and relax, so that is the plus of my job. It has been really, really boring being stuck here at home.

:(

Jackie B
01-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Hmmm...I always wondered where the lubrication actually comes from. Now I know. LOL Your ordeal sounds horribly painful! Yeouch! Glad it's all over for you.

Peety
01-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Good to hear you feel better!

lynys
01-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks. I really do. Slightly sore from the marsupialization, but nothing to get all whiny about.

I wish there was something that could be done to prevent this sort of thing. Everything I have read about it has said it just happens. A lot of cases are from std's, but other then that, it just happens. I hope this surgery is a complete success and prevents it from happening again. I dunno if I could do that again.

We'll have to see at a later date which hurts more. Childbirth or this. Give me a couple years and I may be able to tell ya. ;) Then everyone can have a basis as to how much it bloody hurt. LOL

Sophie's_Mommy
01-24-2009, 11:49 AM
my friend had the same thing as you, she did not have a std either, and childbirth was the most painful experience i have ever encountered but once that baby is out the pain goes away and u forget how much it ever hurt. While in labor i told my mom and hubby never again only once will i do this, now i have changed my mind and want to have a brother or sister for my daughter in a couple years..lol.
glad you are feeling better. i hope this never happens to me, im a suck when it comes to pain..lol

lynys
01-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah that's the thing I think. Once you have a baby, you have a baby. When I had this done, I had nothing to show for it. LOL Well, that's not true. I have a pained groin and 6 weeks of healing. :P