PDA

View Full Version : Your Fav. Childhood smell memory??

Fat Boy
01-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Had this thought floating around my head the other night while I was struggling with insomnia. As a youngster there are so many things - smells, thoughts, stories - that make each person who they are. When we think of our childhoods there are certain things that illceit a smile, groan, chuckle, or outright belly laugh.
What are some of your favorite meorable smells that you have from your childhood?
Mine are many but I will name a few. Some will seem very odd but they have great meaning to me and always will!

1) the smell of deisel fuel/gasoline. This to me is MONEY. It means that dad is home from work let the good times roll.
2) the smell of cigarette smoke on a very cold night(mixed w/ beer). This means nanny is home from an evening out and the old bird had a good time. (actually smile everytime I catch a wiff. Miss the old bird.)
3) the smell of pancakes. Makes me remeber Tuesday lunch times and good times w/mom. Every Tuesday same thing. Ran home fopr lunch!!

These are but a few of my scent memories that linger w/me as an adult from my childhood. how about you? Do tell...

b&aMom
01-17-2009, 10:10 AM
The smell of exhaust from a snow machine...meant my Dad took me for a ride.

The smell of humid August in the country. Not like the humidity in the city, in the country it means you smell the plants not the smog.

The smell of drying leaves in the fall.

geogett
01-17-2009, 10:12 AM
I'll give it a try.....

the smell of the original old spice - not this new old spice they have out there now - reminds me of my grampa
musk perfume - warm, gentle & reminds me of my mom when she used to wear it to go out eons ago
snowmachine exhaust - reminds of waayy back when, when we used to live in quebec
chainsaw exhaust - going with my grandparents and family to get wood for the stove

Chaotic Chick
01-17-2009, 10:35 AM
"1) the smell of deisel fuel/gasoline. This to me is MONEY. It means that dad is home from work let the good times roll."

That is exactly my favourite childhood smell, and for the same reason. Oh, and that smell was often mixed with the smell of HP sauce lol. My dad would come home and before changing, eat his dinner. He always put HP sauce on his pork chops or steaks.

Anapeg
01-17-2009, 10:45 AM
My dad worked in the bush and spent two and three weeks away so the smell of my dad on his pillow and in his cap.(yes I was strange then too)
The smell of a wood fire and coal oil lamps on a cold winter night, getting home from school.
The musty smell of leaves while walking in the dogs out at Thayer's acres with my wife and mom.

MissMuffett
01-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I must admit I love the smell of wd 40, gas, exhaust all of the garage smells remind me of my dad working in the garage and working on vehicles. I love the smell of old spice too, reminds me of my dad when he was younger and such a handsome man who worked hard for his family. The smell of old navy reminds me of my sister roxanne when she was a teenager and having a family @ a young age. Ham and turkey reminds me of holidays. Brewed folgers coffee reminds me of when I was younger and my parents would have coffee in the morning b4 my dad went to work and if one of us 3 girls woke up early @ this time we were told to go into their room and try to go back to bed so we didn't wake up our sisters. I know this isn't a smell but for some reason any holiday I need to listen to the oldies, it reminds me of younger days when I had no worries just the love of my family.

yoda
01-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I love the smell of vanilla, it reminds me of my mom baking or making a dessert. I find that I buy perfumes that have a hint of vanilla scent in them and I have a vanilla air freshener in my truck.

Xzavia
01-17-2009, 12:15 PM
I forgot about the snowmachine exhaust, that's a smell I can totally relate to. We used to ride the old machines out to camp and go icefishing or when my dad came in from a ride that smell always follwed him.

One smell that seemed to always comfort me (just never realized it until it was gone) was my Dad's pipe. I miss that. I was at my Mom's once I swore I smelled it, when I told my Mom she said every now and then she too catches a whiff of it. She says she knows my Dad is never far when she smells it.

Ultra54
01-17-2009, 12:20 PM
The smell of the pine trees and sand the second you opened the door when you arrived at camp.

b&aMom
01-17-2009, 12:36 PM
One smell that seemed to always comfort me (just never realized it until it was gone) was my Dad's pipe. I miss that. I was at my Mom's once I swore I smelled it, when I told my Mom she said every now and then she too catches a whiff of it. She says she knows my Dad is never far when she smells it.

Oh, yeah. My dad briefly switched from cigarettes to a pipe when I was very young, and every time I smell it, I'm suddenly four years old, in a comfy, cozy house in the winter.

cheeky
01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
It's going to sound wierd, but the smell of manure ALWAYS reminds me being a kid. I'm not saying it's a "favourite" smell but I grew up on farm, and now when I catch a whiff of it it always brings me back to the carefree days of being kid running barefoot in the fields with my little brother......

The smell of perculated coffee is one of the best....my Mom and Dad always had perculated coffee on Sunday mornings....

IMHO
01-17-2009, 01:00 PM
The scent of a woman.

really?
01-18-2009, 04:51 PM
woodchips and the poopy smell of the earth in the spring remind me of camp as a kid.

01-18-2009, 05:43 PM
OUtrageous shampoo!

kitty&mimi
01-18-2009, 06:12 PM
obsession perfume, or wild musk--reminds me of the 80's LOL
love's baby soft perfume, reminds me of a certain person from my past
old spice reminds me of my dad....
and this thread is going to make me cry!!!

Chaotic Chick
01-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Polo cologne. I swear that every guy wore that in the 80's! I had a huge teddy bear that was sprayed with it when I was a teenager; that bear sat on my bed and it smelled so good!

kitty&mimi
01-18-2009, 06:19 PM
omg i forgot about POLO
my cousin from PA came to visit one summer with his fam
all my friends went goo-goo over him, tall blond and wore POLO....lol

houlegan
01-18-2009, 06:43 PM
The smell of waking up to a bowl of pot cooked porridge - not the quick microwaveable ones you get already packaged.. the old school porridge...

My mom knew how much I loved porridge and even though she was a single mom - she raised 3 girls and worked full-time - no car - only ever caught the bus...

She would wake up early to cook this for me and my sisters before she had to leave early for work.

I'd eat and get me and my sisters ready and off to school!

Memories.... ;)

Chaotic Chick
01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
If I smell eucalyptus, it reminds me of my grandmother. She always had a big dried floral arrangement that she made, in the front hallway of her house and I loved the smell of it. I miss the smell of her house so much! I wonder if her house still smells like that. I have not seen her in a few years, so I will have to ask my sister!

lynys
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Irish Spring... reminds me of my grandparents. T'was the only soap they ever bought.

Pine trees... reminds me of how the house would smell at Christmas time :)

I've always loved the smell of rain. It is by far one of my favourite smells. No particular reason for that though...

Taurian
01-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Every time I pass a bakery and I smell fresh baked bread I am transported back to my mother's kitchen.I think that and wood stove smoke in the dead of winter are my most vivid smells.I would die for and end crust off a freshly baked loaf smothered in butter and jam.

Jackie B
01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
It's going to sound wierd, but the smell of manure ALWAYS reminds me being a kid...

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I lived on a farm when I was 6 and 7 years old. It was the last place I lived before my parents divorced, so it reminds me of a time when my parents were still together, and I didn't have any of the worries that came along shortly after that time.

Irish Spring soap for me too. It was and still is the only soap my dad has ever used.

Babzz
01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
fresh sheets from the clothes line and my moms spaghetti sauce

Trollic
01-19-2009, 07:58 AM
the smell of making toast on our wood stove in the morning

blueeyedgirl
01-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Fresh bread or the smell of homemade pies. My mom used to bake all the time and that is the smell that was always in her home when my sister and I went to visit.

everywoman
01-19-2009, 08:39 AM
I just lost my Grandfather on Jan 1st. It was a sad time....but...the memories of the smell of my Gram and Gramps house as a child is my favorite. To this day, I love snuggling up at my Grams, or smelling her sheets, or their apartment...whatever. My Gram and Gramp just have a unique smell that is all their own, and so comforting. It's clean and familiar and nostalgic. I eve took a few old nighties of my Gram's that she didn't want anymore, just so I could keep them in my drawer and have the nice smell mingle in with my stuff. I'm an old softie when it comes to my Gram and Gramp.

EyelashExtensions
01-19-2009, 12:04 PM
My grandpa's basement, it had a musty/wood smell to it. Oil of Olay, reminds me of my Nanny who used it faithfully every single day.

hp2
01-19-2009, 12:45 PM
as funny as this sounds but one of my fav smells was Lizzard aunts house around christmas.. she always made chocolates.. and I can still see the dish. they were in.. I bet if the house was the same I could find that dish in a hurry. as it was one of my favorite dishes ever..

I can still see it was like a upsidedown bell shap thing. but it was like a raindbow of colors.. blues purples browns ets.. reds. it always sparkled and was always filled with her chocolates. when it was not in use it was always in the half wall that seperated the living room from dining room infront of big window.. it was a sliding glass door.. and it was always on the end closet to the furnace.

then another smell as a kid was again from her house.. she always used to buy squeeze cheeze tubes (a plastic wrap with the end crimped shut with a metal peice).. you used to have to twist the cap off from the center of the one side of the tube and you used to get different design edges off the tubes.. I remember squares, stars etc.. she always had bacon and cheese flavor ones.. LOL and ritz crakers...

then the smell of the pipe my dad smoked wit the cherry tabacco....

EyelashExtensions
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
OHH MY I remember those cheese and crackers! I totally forgot about that, lol. The chocolates yummm, I had some at Christmas, lol.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
1.the perfume Oscar reminds me of my gramma (my moms mom) she wore it all the time.oh how i miss her :( i loved her so very very much.

2.moth balls remind me of my grampa( moms dad)reminds me of going to his camp every summer, the camp smelled like moth balls and so did the sleeping bags and pull out cots..lol. oh i miss him as well :(

3.rose air freshener reminds me of my grandma ( dads mom) her house always smelled like that,miss her very much too

4.the way a plugged in heater smells reminds me of my grandfather ( dads dad) he always had one running in his bedroom day and night summer or winter or fall or spring..lol. he was always cold..lol.and the smell of this stuff he made, i know it starts with a P it was like corn meal with hamburger in it and he made it in loafs and they would cut it and fry it and put jam on it, oh it was so so good. wish i could remember the name though, I miss him very much too

Evangeline
01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Burning leaves in the fall, the sound of the woodstove opening and the smell that follows (my dad still uses a woodstove as a main source of heat) the sound of the coffee pot when you first turn it on and the smell, reminds me of being at camp with my grandparents when my grandma was still alive. The main smell that reminds me of childhood though is the way a barbie smells when you first open it, that plastic toy smell brings me right back lol.

Karen-Annie
01-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Well,d*a*m*n, started reading this thread and now I have tears rolling down my cheeks!!! So many of those smells y'all mentioned just whip me back to favourite people, favourite places and such. Old Spice,wood stove smoke, coal oil lamps, a country evening on one of those mellow, "soft air" days with the smell of new mown hay....even the sounds fell softer.....home-made bread baking, the particular smell of warm sand and pine needles/trees at Batchawana......OK,gotta stop!!!:embarassed::cry:

Suze
01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
The smell of a musty basement always brings me back to childhood and my grandparent's basement. Punkydo and I used to play in our own little world down there, and that musty smell is so distinct.
The smell of lavender reminds me of my Nana, and Old Spice of my Papa.
And I just love the smell of the woods - pine, moss, dirt - the woods just has a smell of it's own and it brings me back to going to Camp McDougall as a kid.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-20-2009, 10:09 AM
the smell of a cabbage patch doll, smells like powder.

Peety
01-20-2009, 10:14 AM
the smell of a cabbage patch doll, smells like powder.

Omg I just smelled my daughter doll..
And it does smell like powder.
I couldnt figure out the smell in the playroom,,,

Sophie's_Mommy
01-20-2009, 10:58 AM
i know they keep their smell for ever it seems, i have one from 25 yrs ago and it still smells like powder