PDA

View Full Version : Shaw/Vianet Speed Problems?

jag
01-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I've got Vianet's 10 Meg service, but for the past couple of weeks, I've been averaging 300 to 600 Kbps during the day until about 2am when it slowly increases to 2 Mbps.

Has anyone else had this problem lately? I want to find out if it's just me, if it's my neighbourhood (Coulson Ave. area), or if it's more widespread.

I've been in touch with Shawn at Vianet about this, and we're still trying to diagnose it.

Please run the speedtest at
http://www.vianet.ca/speedtest.php
and post your results here.

Hans
01-17-2009, 07:16 PM
3 Mbit, using Shaw. Looks like Shaw is rather slow today.

Hans
01-17-2009, 07:20 PM
I should make a correction to that : seems like certain speed test sites are slow today. I get about 8 Mbit on Argonne Lab speed test. Looks like some network paths are having problems, as the speed test at Speakeasy is only giving 5 Mbit.

It's still rather slow, usually I get anywhere from 12 to 18 Mbit on any of those.

cutie22
01-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I have vianet 10megs connection and have been having problems for the last little while with the speeds. Mine is barely pushing 512k and has been lower than that several times. I would power cycle my modem and router but that is just a temp fix that doesn't work for long.

jeffster
01-18-2009, 08:12 AM
I've got Vianet's 10 Meg service, but for the past couple of weeks, I've been averaging 300 to 600 Kbps during the day until about 2am when it slowly increases to 2 Mbps.

Has anyone else had this problem lately? I want to find out if it's just me, if it's my neighbourhood (Coulson Ave. area), or if it's more widespread.

I've been in touch with Shawn at Vianet about this, and we're still trying to diagnose it.

Please run the speedtest at
http://www.vianet.ca/speedtest.php
and post your results here.

I live about 3 blocks west of you Jag, and after spending 45 minutes on the phone with Shaw last night, they have escalated it. There is serious saturation on the node in this area and is causing a drastic reduction in speeds

Shawn
01-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Sent an email back to you, there is scheduled maintenance for the 20th by Shaw to fix the speed issues.

403_forbidden
01-18-2009, 09:01 PM
I am in the east end and it has been slow for the past week or 2

Shawn
01-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Just tried a test myself from speedtest.shaw.ca and getting 3.5Mbps over 662Kbps at 12:50am...

Speed test from vianet.ca at 12:53 am and getting 11739/873Kbps

from shaw's speed test again now getting 7.9Mbps/689kbps at 12:54am
4.8Mbps/684kbps at 12:59am.

Hans
01-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Something is not right somewhere, lol.

Shawn
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Just got off the phone with Shaw NOC, looks like there is a city wide issue. There is suppose to be some maintenance tonight to help fix things. From what he was saying there is suppose to be some equipment replaced. I guess the issue is to do with saturation.

Damn you people and your bit torrents...lol.

Hans
01-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Where's FIOS when you need it eh?

Shawn
01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Where's FIOS when you need it eh?

From my understanding we are going to take a stab at it up north in a small town this summer. We just bought a small tv company and I believe they are just going to put fibre to everyones house since there is only a few hundred customers.

We have the ability to run our own fibre and have been in Sudbury. We linked all our equipment at the bell co's in Sudbury together. We have some partnerships in Sudbury with hydro and do fibre to the curb... Would be nice if we could get something going here but I doubt it.

Hans
01-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Would be nice, but very taxing on the network, lol.

Shawn
01-20-2009, 12:16 AM
The one thing I miss is the email's Shaw used to send out when they were doing maintenance. I remember the days when I was working there they used to send out emails to tell customers when there would be upgrades and the maintenance windows. Now you have to kind of guess when there is an issue.

But ya some people seem worse than others... one person I was talking to was in the 700/700kbps area on extreme, but the levels were perfect, even at the office around the same time I was only hitting on high speed 1200/480kbps...

General Lee
01-20-2009, 06:17 AM
I AM GETTING 14268/900 on 5 meg service with shaw

Macs II
01-20-2009, 08:46 AM
I haven't had any slowdown at all .... always about the same

http://www.speedtest.net/result/393995014.png

Shawn
01-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Ya, mine was good this morning but still only getting 1Mbps at work, not sure what mine is like at home. Maybe will have to call them again and find out what is happening.

Hans
01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Back to normal for me.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/394429169.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

jag
01-20-2009, 09:59 PM
No improvement here. :(
Tests run at 8:45pm Tuesday night on a Macbook with nothing else running.

Calgary
872/904
http://www.speedtest.net/result/394462047.png

Montreal
797/670
http://www.speedtest.net/result/394463679.png

Chicago
843/629
http://www.speedtest.net/result/394464487.png

Argonne
Upload 671.0 kbps
Download 595.29 kpbs

Shawn
01-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Ya, apparently they fixed the overall speed issues in the city, but your area they are still waiting on approval to split the node as its saturated. I am going to try my connection at home, but even my test modem here in the office is only getting 1160/479 on high speed.

jag
01-20-2009, 11:09 PM
I assume, given the severity of the saturation, the node split will be done fairly quickly?

And, just curious... a node split doubles the bandwidth, right?
So does that mean that the 800kbps I've been getting will be doubled to 1.6Mbps?
Or might they split it 3 or 4 ways, so that I actually have a chance of getting something close to 10 megs?

General Lee
01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/394669368.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

V Code
01-21-2009, 08:42 AM
@ 07:41

http://www.speedtest.net/result/394692013.png

looking good so far, we will see what the day brings

axalon2003
01-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I just did a speed test and my speed was ok, but I noticed that my location I tested from was no longer the Sault. I know Vianet has their main servers based out of town, but I used to show up as running my test from the Sault. Has Vianet reorganized their server setup or something?

Shawn
01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
I assume, given the severity of the saturation, the node split will be done fairly quickly?

And, just curious... a node split doubles the bandwidth, right?
So does that mean that the 800kbps I've been getting will be doubled to 1.6Mbps?
Or might they split it 3 or 4 ways, so that I actually have a chance of getting something close to 10 megs?

Nope, years ago Shaw ran more fibre than they needed, so there is a bunch of dark fibre just laying there on the pole for when they needed to split nodes. Basically there is X number of users on each node, and they just split that number in half. Basically making 2 smaller areas. After they split it speeds will greatly.

Shawn
01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
I just did a speed test and my speed was ok, but I noticed that my location I tested from was no longer the Sault. I know Vianet has their main servers based out of town, but I used to show up as running my test from the Sault. Has Vianet reorganized their server setup or something?

So far we have not done anything if anything was changed it was by Shaw. The ip's you get are from Shaw's pool. If we keep growing like we have, there is a good chance we will probably put a connection in locally and probably give our own ip's to our customers. This way traffic from Shaw would be dropped off here locally and then travel our fibre.

Northerngirl
01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Last Result:
Download Speed: 1749 kbps (218.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 818 kbps (102.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is my speed test and it sucks. This has been going on for weeks, had 2 different Shaw guys here this past week, suppose to get back to me today and nothing. Shaw's phones are not working right since I just called, it keeps telling me to Press 1 for residential service and then nothing. I am getting mad at this...I am paying for extreme speed and I want extreme speed, this is getting ridiculous.

Hans
01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Shaw should allow you to access the stats pages of the modem. Would give you some kind of indication of what might be wrong when you phone them up.

Shawn
01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Generally you can get into it while the modem is ranging... but as soon as it locks on you loose access... You can get a good idea of what the levels are... problem is most people don't understand so that's one reason why they lock them out... Like last time I checked mine was 0 rx and 42 tx which for the Motorola's is basically dead on perfect, you can't get much better. So unless the SNR is really off speeds should be smoking... Nice thing is I have seen the Motorolas stay in sync even at -19 rx and 55 tx. There operating range is -15 to 15 rx and 8 to 55 tx. Also sometimes bypassing splitters can also help, have seen them go bad before causing all kinds of poor signal issues...

jag
01-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I spotted some Expertech guys working at the corner of Queen and Lake tonight. Could that be related to this, or do they only do work for Bell?

I'm running at about 600kbps tonight.

Shawn
01-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I spotted some Expertech guys working at the corner of Queen and Lake tonight. Could that be related to this, or do they only do work for Bell?

I'm running at about 600kbps tonight.

They usually only work for Bell as they are owned by Bell.

Andre
01-22-2009, 06:19 PM
On the bright side of things, you guys on shaw are suppose to get an increase in speed around June I believe it is.
5MB accounts will now be 7.5MB and
10MB accounts will be 15MB
same price and caps.

cutie22
01-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Apparently if your in the west end bay view area they are still experiencing difficulties and shaw is trying to figure out what component is causing the issue and where.

Shawn
01-24-2009, 01:45 AM
There is still city wide issues, just got off the phone with them, they don't have an ETA yet, but I have been getting about 2.5Mbps all evening on extreme.

cutie22
01-24-2009, 01:51 AM
The gentleman I talked to this evening after calling back into vianet said maybe Monday. Right now I'm getting 1.5mbp right now

Shawn
01-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Well here is what I get at about 5 am.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/395316165.png

Working almost like Bell's DPI...

Hans
01-24-2009, 04:14 PM
3:13 in the afternoon on a Saturday. All's good.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/396990573.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

403_forbidden
01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Ya, apparently they fixed the overall speed issues in the city, but your area they are still waiting on approval to split the node as its saturated. I am going to try my connection at home, but even my test modem here in the office is only getting 1160/479 on high speed.

This Shaw problem is BS...I have been logging no more than 2Mbps download speed for the last 2 weeks..and it is still bad today (Jan 24). That is with different PCs and with and without routers. I think I am going to check out Teksavvy....I am tired of this Shaw crap...Shaw knew the number of houses in the last couple of years exploded in the city especially in the east end...they had plenty of time adjust their infastructure....I guess they are more interested in being a phone service provider rather than an ISP....

Shawn
01-24-2009, 08:46 PM
This Shaw problem is BS...I have been logging no more than 2Mbps download speed for the last 2 weeks..and it is still bad today (Jan 24). That is with different PCs and with and without routers. I think I am going to check out Teksavvy....I am tired of this Shaw crap...Shaw knew the number of houses in the last couple of years exploded in the city especially in the east end...they had plenty of time adjust their infastructure....I guess they are more interested in being a phone service provider rather than an ISP....

Its not just in the east end, the problem is happening in the west end too... The fibre is there, they just need to split the nodes, but from the sounds of it they are still having the same issue they were last week. Speeds are better during non peak hours, but once peak hours hit they slow right now. I have the same problem at the office and at home.

Either way same issue happens on dsl too, its under going Bell's DPI causing slow downs as well. The only way to get around it from my understanding with bell is to use High Speed Access (HSA) instead of Gateway access service (GAS). HSA is a Vlan with static ip instead of using PPPOE to login.

The one problem too is based on distance you might have even worse speeds on dsl... Bell will say in their database that dsl is available at an address even sometimes 7km away from the co and say they can get high speed, when they can't get anymore than light to dialup speeds... At least with Shaw there is a minium service level of 800kbps on high speed... less than that they consider it an issue. Bell does not have any service level gaurentees.

403_forbidden
01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
You can get around Bell's Throttling by using this firmware:

http://fixppp.org/

This is provided you have a compatible router that runs Tomato. The developers over at DD-WRT have MLPPP support in their roadmap for version 25:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31363

One of the developers say they are going to support 4 lines etc. DD-WRT supports more router models, so more people will be able to implement MLPPP on supported devices....

Also, you can achieve excellent speeds at 7km from the DSLAM.....BELL is using 22 gauge wiring instead of the standard 24 gauge for longer runs now....

jag
01-24-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm running at 400 Kbps at 10:30pm Saturday.

I assume Vianet is calling Shaw about this at least once a day, being a pest about getting these problems fixed? If I was with Shaw and not Vianet, I'd be calling on an hourly basis. But I'm not, so I can only hope Vianet is being the squeaky wheel on my behalf.

I think I may call and downgrade my service next week. Nobody's gotten a firm answer out of Shaw as to when this will be fixed. So I may as well save some money while I'm waiting.

Andre
01-25-2009, 10:25 AM
403_forbidden
Distance from the CO is still a determining factor. 7KM away and your speeds will probably be iffy unless there is a remote near where you live.

MLPPP doesn't work with bell, only teksavvy as far as I know.

Shawn
01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
403_forbidden
Distance from the CO is still a determining factor. 7KM away and your speeds will probably be iffy unless there is a remote near where you live.

MLPPP doesn't work with bell, only teksavvy as far as I know.

Bigger gauge wire helps... but there are still limits... Like right now I have noticed some people with ADSL2+ modems have had things enabled and their profiles bumped up... but you are still limited by distance, quality... of the copper.

MLPPP won't work with every provider like Andre said. It has to be enabled from the providers side first. Also depending on how the company has things setup this may not be as easy as flipping a switch especially if they have multiple LNS's.

Andre
01-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Either way same issue happens on dsl too, its under going Bell's DPI causing slow downs as well. .

I haven't had any problems with slow downs.
I downloaded about 12GB of uhmm...linux distos during the afternoon/evening yesterday and friday. Constant 500kB/sec +

403_forbidden
01-25-2009, 01:51 PM
403_forbiddenMLPPP doesn't work with bell, only teksavvy as far as I know.

It does for a buddy of mine using the MLPPP tomato build and a Linksys WRT54GL router....He even tested it. He used the regular tomato build and was getting very slow speeds with his torrents...he loaded up the MLPPP tomato build and his speeds increased by alot...He is in Guelph on BELL Sympatico, so maybe the tomato build MLPPP works there but not in the Soo??

Koss
01-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I finally called Shaw this morning after keeping tabs on this thread and still not seeing any improvement on speeds this week. They had me run a speed test from speakeasy.net using the Seattle centre. My results were 4161 kbps up and 262 kbps down. Shaw told me that this is in line for high speed internet service at this time of day (9am on Monday). Now I'm no expert on this kind of thing but that seems a bit slow to me. It should be noted that my earlier results were even slower. The Shaw girl asked me to unplug from my router and plug directly into my computer. She insisted that it was my router slowing things down. I'm a bit skeptical.

Andre
01-26-2009, 02:14 PM
If that's 4161 kbps down and 262 kbps up, that is about right for regular shaw highspeed. Your upload is a little on the slow side though.

Hans
01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
They will always tell you it's your router, no matter what ISP you are with. Even when I was with Bell using their supplied router, they still insisted it was the router, lol.

Shawn
01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
They will always tell you it's your router, no matter what ISP you are with. Even when I was with Bell using their supplied router, they still insisted it was the router, lol.

Well being on my side of the phone I have seen a lot of times where it is the router... I have seen routers take a 6Meg connection and choke it down to less than a meg. Also I have seen where people have one computer in the house with a virus causing the issue... remove the computers and router and try just one and magically the issue goes away... Thats why most ISP's have you remove the router... But ya for 9 in the morning the speed are fine, at 9 at night they are not... best is to call when they are slow...

DarkAssassin
01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
well according to Speakeasy's test my result as of this morning at 8:51 are.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 44742 kbps (5592.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 940 kbps (117.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

But Shaw speed test is

Download 3.1Mbps
Upload 856Kbps

Tests were done like maybe 1 minute apart from each other so which one is the right one cause there is a big difference here oh yeah i have Shaws High-Speed Xtreme-I can anyone explain this to me

DarkAssassin
01-27-2009, 10:02 AM
on another note i never get these speeds ever when downloading things maybe tops of 250kbps to 300kbps is this good?

Andre
01-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Speakeasy and other speed test sites are useless for measuring your download speed because of the power boost with shaw extreme. The files are too small.
To check for more accurate speed results find a site with a large file(over a 100MB) on a server and see what your speeds are when the file is about half way download.

From the shaw speed test, your uploads are fine but your download speed sucks.

DarkAssassin
01-27-2009, 03:04 PM
thanks for the input Andre and on average when downloading things even half way thru them i am still downloading at around 200kbps and this is for multiple downloads at a time sometimes up to 5 downloads, when i'm downloading a single file depending on the site i can get anywhere from 300 to 600kbs, the most that i have gotten on a single download at anytime was 1.3Mbps and that was a very rare case lol, i have also noticed that time of day plays a big factor