PDA

View Full Version : Nexus Card

General Lee
01-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Anyone got one ? how long did it Take for them to Review it?

Muffin
01-21-2009, 07:06 AM
My family just applied 2.5 weeks ago, my hubby and kids got pre approved for their interviews immediately (which we have not scheduled) but I have not heard anything back yet. I emailed them yesterday, as the kids are listed under me adn they can not get a card without me, and their response was that I failed to wait 4 weeks and that it takes up to 8??? I just dont' understand how we all applied the same day and they are all pre approved but me. I am scared for the interviews - not sure what to expect. After I applied for Nexus, I realized I was better off just to get passports - but whatever.

General Lee
01-21-2009, 07:38 AM
ya i am thinking it is just a way for them to get 50 bucks out of ppl i also am going to get a passport but i think i will make a trip out of it and goto a passport office down south

goodasgold
01-21-2009, 08:27 AM
It took us about a month. My three kids were approved first and the next day, my husband and I were. The interview is not an actual interview. We went in all together. Signed a few papers, got our pictures taken and walked away with our cards. For all five of us (one taking a long time to get a picture) we were in and out within 40 minutes.

b&aMom
01-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Isn't the difference between the Nexus card and a passport a criminal check on both sides of the border? That doesn't happen with a passport, so I'd think the Nexus would be better to cross with as US authorities have already checked out your history.

hp2
01-21-2009, 09:10 AM
We have them.. all Us nexus card holders be prepared we all get a new card soon..
CUstome officer informed us of last night.. YOu will get them in the mail with intructions how to activate them online...

THEY DO NOT PRINT CARDS IN THE OFFICE ANYMORE FROM WHAT HE TOLD US LAST NIGHT...

IT took us about 1 month also.. mine was longer as I forgot to send in my married name change.. I did not think they would question it as its been 8 yrs for us at the time but they did....

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/contact-coordonnees-eng.html

SO with this coming into play now this maybe why some are waiting longer.. and also It may have to do with the deadline coming soon.

tasma
01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
If you plan on going anywhere other than the US you might as well get a passport. It costs about the same $50 Us or $85 CAD, seems to take about the same amount of time, couple of months give or take. And the passport means you can go anywhere in the world.

MaO3
01-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Thats my thinking Tasma. The nexus card is only good for boarder crossing nothing more. For the extra $35.00 you might as well get a passport.

hp2
01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Very very true Tasma.. But if you donot wish to go anywhere other then the states a nexus is perfect as its only $ 50 CAD or $50 USD, and there is also no cost of a pic.. as passport requires you to get your own pic and KIDS under 18 are free in the nexus program and you have to pay for them in the passport program.

hp2
01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Thats my thinking Tasma. The nexus card is only good for boarder crossing nothing more. For the extra $35.00 you might as well get a passport.

THIS also applys to land and air and sea crossings also IF You have the nexus cards you can ALSO cross IN them three methods.

General Lee
01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
its 50.00 us that is what it charged my credit card

MaO3
01-21-2009, 09:30 AM
True enough HP, my thinking however is that circumstances change and maybe in a year or two a trip abroad could be on the agenda.

I just like to be prepared. I personally got my passport a year ago, I'm glad I did it then, because now I'm going to Mexico. If I had just gotten a nexus card I would have had to go through the passport process before I could go.
Thats the reason behind my thinking.

goodasgold
01-21-2009, 04:25 PM
We're heading to Florida next year and will just fly out of the states. That way I don't need to get passports for everyone. The expense for my three kids is not something that is worth it unless we were planning on doing something overseas. I don't forsee that happening within the next few years. If by chance it does, then I'll know enough ahead of time to get passports. It's nice to have another option for people other than the passport. I had one when I went to Mexico 7 years ago and it was the one and only time it got used.

hp2
01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
We're heading to Florida next year and will just fly out of the states. That way I don't need to get passports for everyone. The expense for my three kids is not something that is worth it unless we were planning on doing something overseas. I don't forsee that happening within the next few years. If by chance it does, then I'll know enough ahead of time to get passports. It's nice to have another option for people other than the passport. I had one when I went to Mexico 7 years ago and it was the one and only time it got used.

To fly to flordia from canada you should not need a pass port.. a nexus card should work.. as its land, sea and air travel to and from canada to the USA.

Muffin
01-21-2009, 06:52 PM
To fly to flordia from canada you should not need a pass port.. a nexus card should work.. as its land, sea and air travel to and from canada to the USA.

my understanding is that the Nexus card we get at our borader is for land crossing only. If you read the details with Nexus, you can apply for air travel, but they take a picture of your irisis, and our office does not do that.

goodasgold
01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
You cannot fly with the Nexus unless you get your iris scanned at an international airport and then it is only good for those airports with the iris scanner. Not worth the extra money to drive to Toronto and do an international flight, when we can drive and fly out of Kinross.

GRUMPY
01-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Why would anyone fly from Canada when they can go through the States?

hp2
01-21-2009, 08:56 PM
my understanding is that the Nexus card we get at our borader is for land crossing only. If you read the details with Nexus, you can apply for air travel, but they take a picture of your irisis, and our office does not do that.

IM not 100% sure.. as I know what the two officers told me and my husband two seperate days two seperate appointments.. they told us teh IRIS scan is not mandatory.. and its just added security feature... and we were told we could fly aswell as water ports.... THUS being sea...

GRUMPY
01-21-2009, 09:02 PM
true, the iris scan is optional as a way to speed things up. if you go that route you just step up get scanned and you are on your way without the need to wait in line.

hp2
01-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Correct.. I just read my papers after I posted this.. IRIS SCAN is optional.. and is for air travel only.. but its also for self serve kiosks at air travel meaning you can check in the same way as you can with your passport if you donot have iris scanned according to my books...

Shawn
01-21-2009, 09:15 PM
My family just applied 2.5 weeks ago, my hubby and kids got pre approved for their interviews immediately (which we have not scheduled) but I have not heard anything back yet. I emailed them yesterday, as the kids are listed under me adn they can not get a card without me, and their response was that I failed to wait 4 weeks and that it takes up to 8??? I just dont' understand how we all applied the same day and they are all pre approved but me. I am scared for the interviews - not sure what to expect. After I applied for Nexus, I realized I was better off just to get passports - but whatever.

Nothing to be scared of, they just finger print you, photo graph you, and basically go over some of your responses and answer any questions... More than likely the reason you didn't get pre-approved is you answered a question incorrectly in their eyes... like if you have ever been arrested...

Pleiades
01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I think the nexus card is a big money grab for their government and not necessary. The US customs officers like to promote the nexus card because they say it will save time, but in reality, it will save them from doing extra work for their lazy fingers. Unless it is mandatory, I will continue to use my passport and make those lazy b b b boys work those lazy fingers off for their money.

GRUMPY
01-21-2009, 10:28 PM
As of this summer you need EITHER a nexus card or a passport to cross. As for extra work there isn't any as they just scan them. However you can be pulled in for whatever reason they choose at any time they choose no matter which you use.

SIMBA
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
I think the nexus card is a big money grab for their government and not necessary. The US customs officers like to promote the nexus card because they say it will save time, but in reality, it will save them from doing extra work for their lazy fingers. Unless it is mandatory, I will continue to use my passport and make those lazy b b b boys work those lazy fingers off for their money.

Exactly.

Jackie B
01-21-2009, 11:03 PM
In my case, I have four children that will need something. If I get a passport for all of us, is it $80 x 5 + passport photo costs x 5? Are kids cheaper or free for passports?

With Nexus, I understand that I pay $50 once, all my kids are covered, and they take the pictures.

If that's the case, I'd imagine the Nexus would be more sensible for me. Am I missing something?

01-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Nexus is cheaper, and moves alot quicker. If you have NOTHING to declare you can go through the nexus lane and right through!

People are just whining. I'm sure it is a money grab, but it's for ease. All you conspiracy theorists with your funny stories of the world is out to get you, and the sky is falling!

BTW Have you finished all your canned goods from Y2k?

Pleiades
01-22-2009, 12:44 AM
As of this summer you need EITHER a nexus card or a passport to cross. As for extra work there isn't any as they just scan them. However you can be pulled in for whatever reason they choose at any time they choose no matter which you use.
Not true, some people crossing the border are still able to use ID where the customs officer has to type in the information. When you have passports, they have to scan every single one of them, therefore, giving them extra work, with nexus, only one scane if your crossing with your family and everyone is on that card. Therefore, that is why I said that they are getting lazy and yes I know that nexus does not give anyone diplomatic immunity, I never said anything about that
:winkm:

Pleiades
01-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Nexus is cheaper, and moves alot quicker. If you have NOTHING to declare you can go through the nexus lane and right through!

People are just whining. I'm sure it is a money grab, but it's for ease. All you conspiracy theorists with your funny stories of the world is out to get you, and the sky is falling!

BTW Have you finished all your canned goods from Y2k?
That's funny, everytime I cross, the nexus line is hardly ever open and when it is, it's not dedicated for nexus only vehicles. So, how does that make it faster? Whether you declare something or not, you can still get pulled over with a nexus card.
:teeth:

SSMguy2009
01-22-2009, 01:01 AM
I have a question. I regret to admit that I have a past criminal history. I did stupid stuff when I was 15 but nothing major. People who I thought were my friends thought that it would be cool to steal from the mall. We got caught and charged. Never did it again but would that disqualify me from Nexus even though I am well into my 20's?

official soonet pu$$ycat
01-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Ask T-Pot. He knows everything. You can't get pulled in if you don't declare anything. That is rich.

GRUMPY
01-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Not true, some people crossing the border are still able to use ID where the customs officer has to type in the information. When you have passports, they have to scan every single one of them, therefore, giving them extra work, with nexus, only one scane if your crossing with your family and everyone is on that card. Therefore, that is why I said that they are getting lazy and yes I know that nexus does not give anyone diplomatic immunity, I never said anything about that

sorry I made a mistake, seeing it is 2009 and I said " as of this summer" I thought everyone would know that meant the summer of 2009 . The summer of 2008 was LAST summer,that is why some people are still crossing without the card nor a passport. I know it is a hard concept for some to comprehend so I'll try to keep it simple in the future.

Muffin
01-22-2009, 06:50 AM
Nothing to be scared of, they just finger print you, photo graph you, and basically go over some of your responses and answer any questions... More than likely the reason you didn't get pre-approved is you answered a question incorrectly in their eyes... like if you have ever been arrested...

For the record, I am "pending review" NOT "not approved"

WingNut
01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
For the record, I am "pending review" NOT "not approved"

That's just a standard response from Homeland Security while they check out your application. It will be followed by a request to book an interview if accepted. Nothing to worry about in the interview, its very casual.

WingNut
01-22-2009, 08:48 AM
True enough HP, my thinking however is that circumstances change and maybe in a year or two a trip abroad could be on the agenda.

I just like to be prepared. I personally got my passport a year ago, I'm glad I did it then, because now I'm going to Mexico. If I had just gotten a nexus card I would have had to go through the passport process before I could go.
Thats the reason behind my thinking.

Nexus card is good for Usa/Canada/Mexico and I think I read on the Homeland Security site about 17 Carribean
countries.

01-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Yet again, just a lack of research. People just assume.

GRUMPY
01-22-2009, 12:21 PM
I went the passport route just "in case" I needed one in the future, I doubt if I will but you never know.

goodasgold
01-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Nexus card is good for Usa/Canada/Mexico and I think I read on the Homeland Security site about 17 Carribean
countries.

The Nexus card that we have is only good for Canada/US. There is another type of card specifically for the US/Mexico border. Then there is a third card, which is more expensive, that allows access to all three countries.

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/ This is the URL for the GOES site to sign up for your Nexus card online. It shows the different types of cards available to apply for.

WingNut
01-22-2009, 06:21 PM
The Nexus card that we have is only good for Canada/US. There is another type of card specifically for the US/Mexico border. Then there is a third card, which is more expensive, that allows access to all three countries.

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/ This is the URL for the GOES site to sign up for your Nexus card online. It shows the different types of cards available to apply for.

Thanks for the clarification Goodasgold. I must have looked under the wrong one.....

GRUMPY
01-22-2009, 08:56 PM
This is a first,well if not a first a rare occurrence for the board, somebody actually admitting that they made an error. lol

Sunshine19
01-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Passports are cheaper for children. Under 3 is $22 and 3-16 is $35 (i think) it's on the passport Canada website. But add about $20 to get their picture taken.

hp2
01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
with nexus, only one Scan if your crossing with your family and everyone is on that card. Therefore, that is why I said that they are getting lazy and yes I know that nexus does not give anyone diplomatic immunity, I never said anything about that

WRONG... WE went over last night like we do every week and they scan all of our cards.. well swipe them.. MINE, HUBBY'S and my 3 kids as we each have individual cards with individual numbers and we all have pics on each one even my 3 yr old has his pic on the nexus card... we are not all on the same card.. DO They ask more?'s NO they actually joke with us like normal people.. NOT people of athoruity...

hp2
01-23-2009, 12:15 PM
That's funny, everytime I cross, the nexus line is hardly ever open and when it is, it's not dedicated for nexus only vehicles. So, how does that make it faster? Whether you declare something or not, you can still get pulled over with a nexus card.
:teeth:
NEXUS LANE GOING US BOUND IS ONLY OPEN WEEKDAY MORNINGS FROM 7am to 8 am where you scan the card yourself.....canadian side I believe is the same also. Very ture.. there is restrictions on what you can bring over with the nexus card.. NO different really then what the normal person can bring over but if you have stuff to declare you still use the normal lanes.... the nexus lane is strickly if you have NOTHING TO DECLARE.. to use that lane in hrs of operation.

GRUMPY
01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
WRONG... WE went over last night like we do every week and they scan all of our cards.. well swipe them.. MINE, HUBBY'S and my 3 kids as we each have individual cards with individual numbers and we all have pics on each one even my 3 yr old has his pic on the nexus card... we are not all on the same card.. DO They ask more?'s NO they actually joke with us like normal people.. NOT people of athoruity...

I card per person as there are no "Group" cards.

hp2
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Thats what I was saying NO group cards...

GRUMPY
01-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I know but it seems some on here don't have the brain power to put out a candle. I thought if 2 posts said it that it might just sink in though I have my doubts.

chase_me
01-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Jackie we are doing the nexus card cause the passport x 4 kids plus picture and we will never fly outside of the US or Canada so we will just use the nexus cards

GRUMPY
01-23-2009, 02:11 PM
sounds like a good idea as everyone's situation is different.

Pleiades
01-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Passports are cheaper for children. Under 3 is $22 and 3-16 is $35 (i think) it's on the passport Canada website. But add about $20 to get their picture taken.
Go to walmart, it's cheaper there.

General Lee
02-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I go tommoro @ 3 for my interview have no idea where i am going but i am sure the customs agent will direct me to the right spot only took a week and a hafe for them to approve it way quicker then a passport

hp2
02-04-2009, 04:46 AM
GL... YOU know the big clear windows above the truck lanes in the us side.. thats where you are going... Go through the booth go through the toll booth go around to the back of the customs building as thats where you have to park.. you enter the doors take the elevator..*literally thats right in front of you* go up to main floor hang a left.. go to the end.. YOU will see a 11x14 sign that says NEXUS..... two agents sitting there By the door ..

General Lee
02-04-2009, 05:07 AM
dammit i still have to pay the toll eh well may as well go get some stuff well i am over there

Broken
02-04-2009, 09:32 AM
No you shouldn't have to. As soon as you go through customs and talk to the guy you should make a left right after the customs booth and then go up stairs. That's the way we did it. Never went any where near the toll booths.

hp2
02-04-2009, 09:45 AM
No you shouldn't have to. As soon as you go through customs and talk to the guy you should make a left right after the customs booth and then go up stairs. That's the way we did it. Never went any where near the toll booths.

I also thought that.. when we went back in sept, I had to go to the back of the building both times.. I went about 1 hr early as I was scared for bridge line.. and they called them right from the booth to tell them we were there..

GL just tell them why you are going maybe some will park you there some wont. they told us that parking was for there random vehicle checks.

LOL and if you make a left.. YOUR going to run into a hill..... YOU Would take a right off the bridge either way LOL... and if you go in from under the truck lanes to the right coming into the usa from canada you would park straight ahead with a slight left turn. to head up to the tool booths but keep right if you want to park. from what broken is saying :)

Broken
02-04-2009, 09:56 AM
:slol: your right it is a right not a left....C'mon it's early for me. :slol:

General Lee
02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
well it was easy took 20 min had to go back today and drop off a utility bill to prove my adress and they told me i would recive my car in 7-10 days and thisa time on the way back to Canada the Witch @ customs freaked out on me and wanted to cut off my tunnel cover on my truck cause she could not open it i guess they do not belive ppl when they say they just went over for an intervie my truck has been searched twice in the last 2 weeks

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
02-05-2009, 02:57 PM
You must look like a criminal lol

chase_me
02-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Do you have to provide a piece of mail with your address on it?

chase_me
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
NM found out i don't need a piece of mail i can use one of the following:

valid driver’s licence
other provincial identification card
other federal identification card

General Lee
02-05-2009, 05:06 PM
NM found out i don't need a piece of mail i can use one of the following:

valid driverís licence
other provincial identification card
other federal identification card

u need to bring a utility bill or bank statement , cable , ect its on the letter the guy said a licence will not work because anyone can get one but u still need to show em it

General Lee
02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
right from the letter

You must bring the following original documents to the enrollment center:

* This letter inviting you to an interview;
* Proof of citizenship document(s) as identified on your application (e.g. birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport). If you have a passport or if a passport is required for future travel, please bring the document to the interview so that the information can be added to your file.; and
* Proof of Canadian or U.S. permanent resident status, if applicable, as identified on your application. Examples are mortgage statement, rent payment receipt, utility bill, etc.

chase_me
02-05-2009, 05:11 PM
hahaha the only bill i have is rent and my internet and my internet i don't get a paper bill for, nor my bank account i do EVERYTHING online. Argh now what the hell am i going to do.

General Lee
02-05-2009, 05:13 PM
call up the bank or internet company and request a paper bill

chase_me
02-05-2009, 05:26 PM
nah i am not paying for that crap thanks anyways i will see if i can bring in a notice from the gov or something.

Andre
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Just print out one of your online bills.

General Lee
02-05-2009, 06:10 PM
it has to be mailed to you a goverment paper should be ok i took my bank statement

Andre
02-05-2009, 06:32 PM
So you have to bring the envelope too then?
My phone and internet bills are just printed by the company and mailed. You would never know the difference between the one I printed and the one they sent me..
Same as my bank statement as long as I printed it in colour. lol

General Lee
02-05-2009, 07:09 PM
i am just going by what the two customs officers told me

Andre
02-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Sorry about that. Just struck me as funny because both my telco and I print the same pdf file on the same printer. You really wouldn't see any difference.

I guess usgov has still some catching up to do with modern technology.

$Spendbender$
02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
hahaha the only bill i have is rent and my internet and my internet i don't get a paper bill for, nor my bank account i do EVERYTHING online. Argh now what the hell am i going to do.

Who is your internet with?

I have a dozen bills that are all paid online and every company still sends me a paper bill.

Even PUC (which is auto-withdrawl) still sends me a statement.

Andre
02-06-2009, 12:02 PM
PUC is the only company I get a paper bill from.
I also get one from bell even though I haven't had any of their services for over a year. Blank bill telling me they own me $2.47. I figure they have spent $7 dollars telling me this instead of mailing me a cheque for the difference. I let them keep on spending.

Seriously though, if I want a paper bill I'll just print it, or I could pay and let the bank print it and mail it and charge me some stupid fee for the service.

General Lee
02-06-2009, 12:37 PM
PUC is the only company I get a paper bill from.
I also get one from bell even though I haven't had any of their services for over a year. Blank bill telling me they own me $2.47. I figure they have spent $7 dollars telling me this instead of mailing me a cheque for the difference. I let them keep on spending.

Seriously though, if I want a paper bill I'll just print it, or I could pay and let the bank print it and mail it and charge me some stupid fee for the service.

i get the same thing from bell telling me they owe us 1.50 for the last year now lol

BFLPE
02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
* Proof of Canadian or U.S. permanent resident status, if applicable, as identified on your application. Examples are mortgage statement, rent payment receipt, utility bill, etc.
In other words this only applies if you are not a Canadian (or U.S.) citizen.

chase_me
02-06-2009, 10:13 PM
my net is through vianet as is my phone and my PUC is included in my rent. For bills i have cell phones (sent online), housephone/internet (sent online), and my rent.