PDA

View Full Version : people are sad

kitca
01-25-2009, 02:11 PM
last nite we were driving to the movies and we saw a person lying in the snow on the side of the road. lots of cars were going by, i couldnt believe that no body stopped. this poor lady had been laying there for some time. it was freezing last nite. i guess everyone just assumed it was a drunk and didnt care. so what, she needed help. she was a very nice middle aged lady who was upset over a family arguement and very very drunk. she really needed someone to help her and was very appreciative.

even when we had stopped to help and she was still on the road, only one other person stopped (a city sander truck - thank you very much!). i just think it is really sad that all those people just kept driving by and didnt care to help out someone in need.

MaO3
01-25-2009, 02:27 PM
oh that really is sad. Not a very good reflection on people is it?

Nice that you stopped kitca and helped her. Heaven only knows what could have happened to her had you not taken the time.

01-25-2009, 02:41 PM
You said "I guess everyone just assumed it was a drunk and didn't care". Then you said she was very very drunk.

Weren't they right to assume that then?

Drunks need a hug, not a help out of the snowbanks in a drunk stuper.

SusyQ
01-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Give me a break T-pot if the people who saw her and did not stop woke up this morning too a woman found frozen too death on the side of the road they would be ashamed of themselves. Drunk or not be a compassinate person and do the right thing. Drunks need a hug, not a help out of the snowbanks in a drunk stuper is a very selfish remark.

SusyQ
01-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh yes kudos too you Kitca. You may have saved a life.

01-25-2009, 02:50 PM
How is it selfish?? The comment had nothing to do with me

I would've atleast called the cops.

puppy
01-25-2009, 03:02 PM
where was this at? i drive around town at night for my job and did not see anyone...

Anapeg
01-25-2009, 03:08 PM
In another thread(religion or politics) a poster made reference to the fact that as Canadians we don't behave in this manner and I chose to offer up this post as proof in the negative.
I assume my age combined with my size and an unbridled complete ignorance as to consequences extremely limits my ability not to butt in. I tend to react to a situation then reflect as to what might have happened. I can live with a lumping at the hand of a mugging team but wouldn't be able to stand my image in the mirror should the person die due to my inaction. Old school, I suppose, although my idiot son AKA Fatboy is tarred with the same stick.

verotik66
01-25-2009, 05:10 PM
last nite we were driving to the movies and we saw a person lying in the snow on the side of the road. lots of cars were going by, i couldnt believe that no body stopped. this poor lady had been laying there for some time. it was freezing last nite. i guess everyone just assumed it was a drunk and didnt care. so what, she needed help. she was a very nice middle aged lady who was upset over a family arguement and very very drunk. she really needed someone to help her and was very appreciative.

even when we had stopped to help and she was still on the road, only one other person stopped (a city sander truck - thank you very much!). i just think it is really sad that all those people just kept driving by and didnt care to help out someone in need.

did you drive her home? did you go drop her off at detox? what kind of person are you if you didn't take her to detox? eventually the cops would have came by and put her where she belonged with a couple tickets to take some of that extra drinking money away for next time.

axalon2003
01-25-2009, 06:59 PM
And eventually she might have frozen to death, too.

Good for you kitca!

kitca
01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
did you drive her home? did you go drop her off at detox? what kind of person are you if you didn't take her to detox? eventually the cops would have came by and put her where she belonged with a couple tickets to take some of that extra drinking money away for next time.

my god, no, we just picked her up and left her balancing to try and stand! and she had been laying there awhile, you could tell by how cold she felt and how much snow was packed on her. of course we called the police to come and get her. we would have taken her home if she was able to remember her address and was able to get inside.

it was dark, it was near gore st. maybe some people didnt see her, but she was pretty hard to miss. i think it is a sad reflection of the folks who did not stop to help.

Dragonfly
01-25-2009, 09:59 PM
That's ridiculous. Even though she turned out to be drunk nobody would have known that for certain unless they had stopped. For all they know she could have been injured or god knows what else seeing as how she was in a neighbourhood that I know all too well not be a very good one. How would you feel if you hadnt stopped and tomorrow found out that a woman who had been injured froze to death in the middle of night and it was the same woman you just assumed to be drunk and left there to die?? yes she was drunk after all but even then as a human how do you not feel, even if only to ease your own conscience, the need to at least make sure shes at least alive?? and remember the old saying "assuming only makes an a** out of you and me"?? Had I seen even my worst enemy in the snow I still would have stopped...but maybe thats just me. Who knows...

Quick Slice
01-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I know it was freezing cold out lastnight, but seriously, as soon as you stop, you get out of your car, you start to freeze, then you gotta deal with the drunk which'll probably take a good 10-15 minutes to get much info out of them. Now you're freezing cold, unsure of what to do, where to take them (if that be the best thing to do), and assuming you take them in your vehicle somewhere you've got the hassel of them in your car drunked all up, whining, complaining, probably unsure of where they want to go, yada yada, and all this takes up now like 30 minutes to an hour, and you really only wanted to stop to see if the person was ok, but you've just added like an hour of nothing to your life, and hour of expensive gas used up, and not got anywhere. I'd say a) call the police and let them know, or b) who gives a flying ....

just my say.

So, to wrap this up... don't expect me to stop on a cold winter night if you're the drunked up donk that's lying in a snowbank. You'll be lucky if I called the police. Learn y'all a lesson.

:)

Jackie B
01-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Yeah, let em' freeze to death! That oughta teach them!!! *rolls eyes*

KDawg
01-25-2009, 11:09 PM
How is it selfish?? The comment had nothing to do with me

I would've atleast called the cops.

You'd rather call the cops than help someone who's lying in the streets in the middle of winter.

You're a piece of work.

Timbit
01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
and who's to say that down on gore st. this wasn't some kind of setup for a mugging, rape, beating, who knows....it happens everywhere, so it could happen in SSM too....it's hard to take a chance like that, and being a nice guy I am I would do what I could to help....but if my instincts tell me no, and to keep driving, I am thinking a phone call to police will suffice just enough......

BFLPE
01-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Good job Kitca.

Only a selfish idiot would ignore someone in that situation. Personally I couldn't imagine not getting out of the car to check on them but if someone just wants to call the police that's fine with me. Saturday night they'll probably tell you they're pretty busy and will get there when they can though. Be pretty hard not to check on them then.

01-25-2009, 11:44 PM
You'd rather call the cops than help someone who's lying in the streets in the middle of winter.

You're a piece of work.

Yeup, you want to get drunk and pass out in the snow, you can freeze. I'll cal the cops and be on my way.

01-25-2009, 11:50 PM
LOL You have no idea what you are talking about.

01-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Kind of funny, airing his dirty laundry on a bbs

official soonet pu$$ycat
01-25-2009, 11:54 PM
LOL.

01-26-2009, 12:29 AM
No, I said I'd call the COPS. I'd stick around and wait :)

gouligann
01-26-2009, 06:33 AM
I'd have stopped and helped, since this is in the Sault, where bad things can happen, but not often. I might be taking a chance but I'd feel ok with checking the person out and do what I could do. Drunk or sick, no matter. She needed help.

The sad thing is, drive down Young St in Toronto, and you see this kind of thing on every street corner downtown. People just step around them and keep going.
I'd hate to have a heart attack and fall down on Young st. No one would even notice.

Chako
01-26-2009, 06:50 AM
That is true.

One of the big reasons why we moved up here as a family back in 81, was the notion that if you were driving on a Northern highway, if you broke down, someone would always stop to lend a helping hand. This happened once to my father, he broke down in the middle of nowhere going to a job location as a travel card. A stranger stopped and helped him out. When my father wanted to repay him, the stranger said to pass it along. Someone somewhere will need help just like he did. It didn't take my father long to repay the kindness. This left an indelible impression on him. He liked the northern helping mentality compared to that of Southern Ontario where most people couldn't be bothered to help when needed.

Good for you to stop. I would like to think your carrying on a tradition...one that is worthwhile to uphold.

Babzz
01-26-2009, 08:06 AM
good for you for stopping Kitca
I know i would have done the same thing!!

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Good job to the person who stopped for the individual. However, you cannot assume that everyone would do the same. I for one would not want my wife to stop and help someone because I am leery this would be a trick and this person would attack. There have been many reports where people have tricked pedestrians or drivers into helping them and have been mugged or swarmed by others hiding in the background somewhere. It is a great thing to help out no doubt but some people are afraid to for good reason. In my opinion if you are afraid to help but call the police then it would be a good deed also. Its different when you see an accident and you go and help out. There is a lot of fear and skepticism these days and gone are the days of innocence in my opinion and for good reason...

Konig-OV
01-26-2009, 08:19 AM
Or those people in the east end. When called over they get bear/pepper-sprayed, punched in the face and their stuff stolen. Who is to say this is not another tatic?

Kudos for those who stopped though!

noonehome
01-26-2009, 08:55 AM
Good job to the person who stopped for the individual. However, you cannot assume that everyone would do the same. I for one would not want my wife to stop and help someone because I am leery this would be a trick and this person would attack. There have been many reports where people have tricked pedestrians or drivers into helping them and have been mugged or swarmed by others hiding in the background somewhere. It is a great thing to help out no doubt but some people are afraid to for good reason. In my opinion if you are afraid to help but call the police then it would be a good deed also. Its different when you see an accident and you go and help out. There is a lot of fear and skepticism these days and gone are the days of innocence in my opinion and for good reason...

Good point.

bohd
01-26-2009, 10:02 AM
THERE IS NO WAY a person should be left lying in the street , let alone freezing cold...how do you know what is wrong unless you stop and see....this is the sault....we help...my mother in law fell a few weeks back and because of her age , she couldnt get up...someone kind person helped...all of you who would not help are cowards and deserve teh same fate...

Dragonfly
01-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I agree that it could be a danger to stop and I also agree that calling the cops would be a good idea also, but some people on here are saying they would leave them to rot. Thats not right. At least if you called the police you know that they would do (or at least one would hope) the right thing and either hold them until morning, bring them home or detox them. If they didnt and something still happened I would sure as hell raise a stink about it, cuz what the heck are the police for? the protect and to serve...or so it is said

GoldDogs
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't want to be the bad guy, but I wouldn't stop. If I had my cell phone on me, I'd call the police and direct them where to go, and if not I'd get home and then call. But I wouldn't be stopping. I have no idea if this is a set up and there is someone or a group of people waiting behind the bush or house. I wouldn't want to get involved for my own safety. This may be the Sault, but I don't want to be a number in the low statistics. Its not like murders and other things don't happen here.

And, I'm scared of drunks. I don't care if it is a man or a woman. Drunks do stupid things. Drunks act on impulse. I am not taking a person who cannot control how they act, what they do, or what they say into my vehicle.

If it was someone sick, the police will handle it when they get there. That is their job. It sounds harsh, but its true. They have what they need to defend themselves if it IS a setup, and they can properly care for the person if it isn't.

Another thing, what if I DO stop. I help this lady up and then she falls down again and bumps her head causing a brain injury or something. Well, then I can pretty much guarantee myself that someone is going to try to sue me for something. I mean, I pushed her down right?

It is great that someone pulled over to help, but that someone wouldn't be me. I guess I've watched too much CSI or something. There are too many dangers to pulling over on the side of the road, at night, in a rough end of town or not, to help someone who might or might not be in need of help.

I know I sound terrible and people are going to bash me down. I don't care though, 20 year old female, not stopping.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-26-2009, 10:48 AM
i would of helped, but thats just me, i feel bad for people that i know i shouldn't. But alot of the times people mistake people with mental disability's to be drunk. Sometimes a person who is handicapped may appear to be drunk until u actually stop and talk to them. It is sad people just drive by and leave them in the snow it was very cold out last night and the past week. I bet the people who say the hell with them now, would be singing a diffrent tune if it were a family member.
you are a very kind person to stop for that women. you probably in someway saved her alot of pain. she could of gotten frost bite or even hypothermia

Anapeg
01-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Yorkie you can't be charged in Canada as we are covered by the "good Samaritan act".

GoldDogs
01-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Yorkie you can't be charged in Canada as we are covered by the "good Samaritan act".

That is true, but with all the other reasons, I'd call the police and keep going.

sereenie
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Im glad you stopped and helped.
I my self would of probly called the cops.
I watched to many horror movies . She could of been crazy and stabbed me or something.

But, Like i said i would of called the cops, The weather is horrible :( i hate reading those headlines when they find people dead becuase of them falling and they freeze :(

Konig-OV
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
THERE IS NO WAY a person should be left lying in the street , let alone freezing cold...how do you know what is wrong unless you stop and see....this is the sault....we help...my mother in law fell a few weeks back and because of her age , she couldnt get up...someone kind person helped...all of you who would not help are cowards and deserve teh same fate...

This is why people are so shocked when a stabbing or beating occurs.
If this had been a set up, this thread would have been a totally different one!
"I saw someone laying in the snow bank, and when I went to go help, they sprayed me with pepper spray and punched me!"
The responsible thing is to call the cops, but not put yourself in danger. You can make sure someone is alright by the confines of your own vehicle without being a coward.

Maybe it is you who deserves the same fate of those who get suckered into helping someone then beat up?

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
This isn't about watching too many horror movies, lets not be ridiculous here. There have many been many reported incidents where people that try to assist have been set up and have been either robbed injured or murdered.

kitca
01-26-2009, 02:36 PM
how many times has a set up like this occurred in sault ste. marie? i have not heard of such a thing happening in the soo or our area. (thats not to say it hasnt happened, but i have never to my knowledge heard of it).

when you see someone laying in the snow on the side of the road you dont know what has happened. a hit and run, someone beat up, someone sick, someone passed out drunk. whatever it is, they need help. if you are honestly scared to stop, but would call and get help then i think that is acceptable. however, i cant drive by a stray dog without trying to help, im sure not going to drive by a possibly hurt person either. i

if there comes a time where it is a danger to do so in the soo, then maybe i will be scared, but so far (and actually we have helped out several drunks too unable to walk over the years) i am not going to stop. i am not there to judge the drunk, but if they are in the street sitting down or falling into snowbanks or something that is dangerous then i will help them, or stay with them till the police can come. (like the lady i was mentioning, we put her in our nice warm van to warm up till the police arrived)

i just think it is sad that people would not care enough to help, or assume the person is a drunk that does not deserve assistance.

Karen-Annie
01-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Reading the original post, she was NOT alone. I'm proud of you,that you took the time to check on somebody who looked to be in distress.

I hate to think that the Soo is devolving into what we hear from large urban areas. The notion that we automatically assume someone is drunk and therefore deserves whatever happens to them and thus does not merit our concern; that there is too much risk of being "setup" for some sort of attack;that one's time is too valuable to waste on helping another human being,etc......it grieves my heart. Count me as somebody else who would never be able to forgive myself if I did not stop and later learned the person had died.

Especially in a well-travelled, lighted area, there are very few excuses that would justify not stopping and checking and calling for help.....and I would ask for an ambulance, not just the police.

I think of how I would feel if it was a family member or myself who needed help and nobody stopped....would I think it was OK because they thought it might be a set-up for an attack? Not hardly likely.

The 24/7 global news coverage,among other factors, has generated a climate of fear. The things that statistically have a far better odds of leading to injury or death, we think little of.....but boogey-man type things that happen very infrequently scare the pants off us. Makes no sense and is a stupid way to live.

Konig-OV
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
how many times has a set up like this occurred in sault ste. marie? i have not heard of such a thing happening in the soo or our area. (thats not to say it hasnt happened, but i have never to my knowledge heard of it).

when you see someone laying in the snow on the side of the road you dont know what has happened. a hit and run, someone beat up, someone sick, someone passed out drunk. whatever it is, they need help. if you are honestly scared to stop, but would call and get help then i think that is acceptable. however, i cant drive by a stray dog without trying to help, im sure not going to drive by a possibly hurt person either. i

if there comes a time where it is a danger to do so in the soo, then maybe i will be scared, but so far (and actually we have helped out several drunks too unable to walk over the years) i am not going to stop. i am not there to judge the drunk, but if they are in the street sitting down or falling into snowbanks or something that is dangerous then i will help them, or stay with them till the police can come. (like the lady i was mentioning, we put her in our nice warm van to warm up till the police arrived)

i just think it is sad that people would not care enough to help, or assume the person is a drunk that does not deserve assistance.

This passed summer there were 12 'muggings' of the same nature. A guy would call someone over needing help, pepper spray them, and punch them and take what they can.

Look it up on police beat. I know 2 were on Cambridge Pl. So 12 in one summer, to say it can't happen in the Sault is ignorant!

NewCasa
01-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Reading the original post, she was NOT alone. I'm proud of you,that you took the time to check on somebody who looked to be in distress.

I hate to think that the Soo is devolving into what we hear from large urban areas. The notion that we automatically assume someone is drunk and therefore deserves whatever happens to them and thus does not merit our concern; that there is too much risk of being "setup" for some sort of attack;that one's time is too valuable to waste on helping another human being,etc......it grieves my heart. Count me as somebody else who would never be able to forgive myself if I did not stop and later learned the person had died.

Especially in a well-travelled, lighted area, there are very few excuses that would justify not stopping and checking and calling for help.....and I would ask for an ambulance, not just the police.

I think of how I would feel if it was a family member or myself who needed help and nobody stopped....would I think it was OK because they thought it might be a set-up for an attack? Not hardly likely.

The 24/7 global news coverage,among other factors, has generated a climate of fear. The things that statistically have a far better odds of leading to injury or death, we think little of.....but boogey-man type things that happen very infrequently scare the pants off us. Makes no sense and is a stupid way to live.

This is not new. I have a friend who got drunk when a teenager and spent the night in a snowbank right in front of the hospitals. I believe he lost two fingers to frostbite that night. Busy road in front of the hospitals. Yet nobody stopped for a long, long time. This was over 30 years ago.

Seems nothing much has changed, but my hat is off to the few who actually do stop. Regardless of the condition of the person, drunk, stoned or whatever they should not lose their life or limbs to a stupid mistake if that loss can be avoided by a simple act of kindness.

kitca
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
This passed summer there were 12 'muggings' of the same nature. A guy would call someone over needing help, pepper spray them, and punch them and take what they can.

Look it up on police beat. I know 2 were on Cambridge Pl. So 12 in one summer, to say it can't happen in the Sault is ignorant!

i wouldnt say it cant happen in the soo, i said i hadnt heard of it happening in the soo. wow, 12 times this past year. i must say i am suprized, i do watch the news and or read the paper and never heard of anything.

Barney Rubble
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
i would only say to those that would not stop for fear of their own safety, i hope it never comes down to requiring assistance & no one helps you.
It might be the coldest day of winter & you blow a tire or something but no one stops because they are worried that it might be a set-up & someone will come outta the bushes with a crowbar.
it's sad that some people think this way IMO!

Jst4u
01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
You know, I wouldn't stop, either. I would call the police if I had a cell phone, though.

And if it was me stopped on the side of the road with a flat tire, I'd be praying someone didn't stop because who knows what kind of wacko could stop and do god knows what to me. I'd call someone I know, sit in my locked car and not open the door until whoever I called got there.

But again...like Yorkie...24 year old single woman who would probably be out by myself or with my 2 year old. Not likely I would take any risk whatsoever to myself or my child by STOPPING to help someone. But I would call the police.

If that makes me a horrible person, fine. I can live with that.

Strife
01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
You know, I wouldn't stop, either. I would call the police if I had a cell phone, though.

And if it was me stopped on the side of the road with a flat tire, I'd be praying someone didn't stop because who knows what kind of wacko could stop and do god knows what to me. I'd call someone I know, sit in my locked car and not open the door until whoever I called got there.

But again...like Yorkie...24 year old single woman who would probably be out by myself or with my 2 year old. Not likely I would take any risk whatsoever to myself or my child by STOPPING to help someone. But I would call the police.

If that makes me a horrible person, fine. I can live with that.

Maybe this is my ignorance talking but I totally agree with your post. If I was driving along and see someone on the side of the road, I would call the police.

If you get drunk, pass out in a snowbank because you are too stupid to realize that the blistering cold is not a figment of your imagination, then your plain stupid.

Jst4u
01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
You must be ignorant to agree with me, Canadian ;)

Evangeline
01-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I also wouldn't stop, drunk people can be violent, expecially if they knew you called the police on them. If it was a very elderly lady I might stop, but no way if it was any age of man, and if it was a younger or middle aged woman I wouldn't stop either. I think calling the police from your car is the right thing to do, and is what I would do.

stuckintheeighties
01-26-2009, 05:45 PM
What I would probably do is a combination of both. I would first call the police and while I'm on the line with them I check the person over, at least if it were a setup the police would know right away, and if it wasnt a setup I could relay what might have happened, if they are injured and in need medical care. I am fairly certain that if it were a setup and they would be attackers saw you on the phone, it may change their mind as to attacking or not.

01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Thats what i'd say. Stay safe if you want to help.

01-26-2009, 05:47 PM
What I would probably do is a combination of both. I would first call the police and while I'm on the line with them I check the person over, at least if it were a setup the police would know right away, and if it wasnt a setup I could relay what might have happened, if they are injured and in need medical care. I am fairly certain that if it were a setup and they would be attackers saw you on the phone, it may change their mind as to attacking or not.

Criminals are smart-dumb people. They smart because they know they can roll you for what you have and be gone even before you can hear sirens, im sure they have everything premeditated. They are dumb for actually doing it.

official soonet pu$$ycat
01-26-2009, 07:39 PM
If it were me I would stop and check on them. If I felt they were not capable of chasing me I would take their wallet to go buy booze. At least if I do the drinking I won't be stupid enough to collapse on the way home. I'd be doing a service to both of us.

D0bb3r
01-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Clearly it was the fault of being over balanced to one side ... a quick adjustment of her wallet into my pocket and im sure she
would have been just fine !!.

Ive seen a few of these "look at me im a friken hero" posts and quite frankly think its nothing less than self serving.
Nobody pats you on the back so you post about it here ... this also shows you assume others seen this lady and chose to drive on by.
Some lady curled up in a snowbank however odd just might not stand out to someone intent on getting somewhere on a cold winter night.
Therefore perhaps next time some troubled lady chooses to drown her sorrows away in a bottle please have the decency to pass out
in a manner so as to provide other lesser observant people a chance to be a BBS hero... even if its only for a few pages.

official soonet pu$$ycat
01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Clearly it was the fault of being over balanced to one side ... a quick adjustment of her wallet into my pocket and im sure she
would have been just fine !!.

Ive seen a few of these "look at me im a friken hero" posts and quite frankly think its nothing less than self serving.
Nobody pats you on the back so you post about it here ... this also shows you assume others seen this lady and chose to drive on by.
Some lady curled up in a snowbank however odd just might not stand out to someone intent on getting somewhere on a cold winter night.
Therefore perhaps next time some troubled lady chooses to drown her sorrows away in a bottle please have the decency to pass out
in a manner so as to provide other lesser observant people a chance to be a BBS hero... even if its only for a few pages.

:cocktail: I would so split my earnings with you

kitca
01-26-2009, 08:30 PM
hey daryn you are so right, how did you know. ya, i just wanted a pat on the back because i have such a sad little life. and ya, lets not post about something on the soapbox (do you know what that term means?) that bothers us, lets just ask the same repetitive questions about who has the best pizza in town.

i would be pretty scared driving near you if you dont notice people lying on the side of the road, what kind of driver are you not to notice!?!

maybe you want some recognition but i just wanted to discuss what i thought was sad that no one stopped to help.

Strife
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
You must be ignorant to agree with me, Canadian ;)

lol. Maybe I just think with my head and not my heart. I'm not gonna risk my health for someone else when I can just call the cops. If someone gets drunk and passes out in a snowbank, they deserve the consequences.

Karen-Annie
01-28-2009, 01:44 PM
lol. Maybe I just think with my head and not my heart. I'm not gonna risk my health for someone else when I can just call the cops. If someone gets drunk and passes out in a snowbank, they deserve the consequences.

And how,may I ask, you would someone laying in a snowbank is a drunk who passed out unless you CHECK??? Assuming that is the case is a sad commentary. By NOT checking, you're potentially condemning someone with a legitimate medical problem to potential loss of limbs or even their life. I'm sure you would be thrilled to know that someone (or many someones)assumed a beloved parent or grandparent was merely drunk and deserved their fate.

Strife
01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
And how,may I ask, you would someone laying in a snowbank is a drunk who passed out unless you CHECK??? Assuming that is the case is a sad commentary. By NOT checking, you're potentially condemning someone with a legitimate medical problem to potential loss of limbs or even their life. I'm sure you would be thrilled to know that someone (or many someones)assumed a beloved parent or grandparent was merely drunk and deserved their fate.

Who says I wouldnt check or still call the police? Last I heard it was illegal to walk down public streets hammered. Regardless if they are drunk or have medical issues I would still call the cops. If the person was drunk, passed out in a snowbank and lost a finger because the cops didnt get there in time, its their own fault. Now on the flipside, if someone was in need of medical attention and the police didnt get there in time, then my attitude changes completely as this may not have been caused by their own doing.

Simple point.....If I were to get drunk, walk home in the blistering cold, pass out in a snowbank and lose a hand, it would be my own damn fault for not ensuring I had a ride home whether it be from a friend or a taxi driver. Go ahead and judge me all you want. I'm not here to win a popularity contest.

Jst4u
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I have to agree, Canadian. I would call the cops, as well, but if they lost a finger or some toes lying in the snowbank hammered out of their mind...that certainly isn't my fault for not pulling them into my vehicle and potentially endangering myself with a drunk who knows I've called the police on them.

As for a medical condition...by slowing down or leaning out your window to talk to someone lying in a snowbank, you can pretty much asses whether they are drunk or just slipped and broke a foot or having a seizure or something. Even if it's a medical condition, though, if I have any question whether they are potentially dangerous to me...I'm out of there!

But like Canadian said...I'm not here to make friends and I'm certainly not here for popularity. You don't have to agree with me :)

animal lover
01-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I would stop and call 911 then stay with them until someone came.
I could never just turn my head and walk away.

I remember a few years back I was at the Dairy Queen across from the city bus terminal.
An elderly man went to cross the street and all of a sudden fell down face first into the road.
I was horrified to see that not one person went to help him!
I ran out and went to him to see if he was okay...nobody else made a move.

he was dressed rather shabbily and maybe people were afraid of him, or thought he was drunk.
anyway, I made sure he was okay and helped him stand and walk over to the sidewalk. I made sure he was steady on his feet and asked if he wanted me to call someone but he said no.

How do you see someone lying helpless and not help them?

At the time I just wanted to YELL at people and say "What is wrong with you??? this man needs help!

If you can't help by yourself at least call 911. Certain seizures or other ailments can mimic drunkness as could a stroke, causing someone to slur their words.
Good for you kitca!!!

Strife
01-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Your right. Some conditions can mimic drunkiness but the smell of alcohol will refute any medical condition

D0bb3r
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Ah how about this ... perhaps the person face down in a snow bank is the victim of a car jacking !!
The trickster car jacker poses as a helpless person face down in a snowbank then when you stop to
help he jumps up and smacks you with a frozen Christmas ham then speeds away with your car !!

Look .. someone who passes by without noticing is no less of a person then someone who stops or someone
who doesnt want to get involved and turns a blind eye. A good deed ceases to be a good dead when its
expected of you or when you run around looking for people to pat you on the bumm !!

Strife
01-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Daryn I have read the majority of your posts and needless to say you are a breath of fresh air around here.

01-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Just because you want to be a hero doesn't make any other person less of a person if all they do is call the police.

If all your looking for is the HERO ribbon, then go by yourself one. I on the other hand would just call the cops, and make sure the person is taken to safety

dancingqueen
01-29-2009, 01:25 AM
I couldn't read all this... but about half way through I gotta say... good for you Kitca! I also would like to say that I knew this was going to be a thread filled with people giving all sorts of excuses about why they wouldn't stop, If I saw this and wouldn't stop I'd at least have the stones to say it was because I was angry/lazy or didn't want to get cold.
Those of you that condemn this woman for turning to alcohol for her problems or being "Just some stupid drunk" etc... Must be nice to be so perfect, why not volunteer your time to helping people? Because as it stands getting any kind of assistance or counseling is next to impossible. I have seen sad examples of such things. Before you judge, try thinking of how someone else's life might not be as perfect as yours. I think those statements bothered me even more than the people making up excuses.

dancingqueen
01-29-2009, 01:28 AM
oh ya, and the maniacal mugger/rapist pretends to be a helpless victim in the snow waiting for an unsuspecting victim... I saw that movie too... pretty good one too.

Jst4u
01-29-2009, 09:47 AM
I am by no means making up excuses for anything.

Unless you are a woman and have experienced a man stalking you, harassing you or scaring the crap out of you so you're scared to even leave your house, I wouldn't be so quick to judge why some wouldn't stop.

Sure, it was a woman in this case...but I can assure you this, once that fear is there, it never leaves. And unless you've experienced a creepy drunk man chasing you down the street and standing outside your door screaming at you (which I have) I don't think you can possibly understand.

So yes. A drunk is a sad person who does need help. They can get it from the cops after I call them. Not me.

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 12:47 AM
I am by no means making up excuses for anything.

Unless you are a woman and have experienced a man stalking you, harassing you or scaring the crap out of you so you're scared to even leave your house, I wouldn't be so quick to judge why some wouldn't stop.

Sure, it was a woman in this case...but I can assure you this, once that fear is there, it never leaves. And unless you've experienced a creepy drunk man chasing you down the street and standing outside your door screaming at you (which I have) I don't think you can possibly understand.

So yes. A drunk is a sad person who does need help. They can get it from the cops after I call them. Not me.

You would stop (I assume to call the police, because you wouldn't use your cell phone while driving I hope)
so my post was not about you. Don't make yourself a victim in this topic just because you are a poor lil' ol' helpless woman
Women like you keep sexism where it currently is, way to destroy years upon years of women fighting for their rights in your one ignorant statement, I hope you're proud
and I'm sorry if I hurt your poor delicate woman feelings, because after all, you are just a woman.

P.S. I have actually experienced these things, but I'm a man so I guess it didn't affect me in quite the same way due to my burly manliness.

Strife
01-30-2009, 12:53 AM
DQ.....I dont think her issue happens to be a hit against women's rights at all. Women are constantly considered targets for some drunks because sexism does exist. Some men still feel that women are beneath them and when you combine alcohol with the situation, it becomes a bit scary. Men are often the victims of stopping for a person who is in need or that hitchhiker that needs a ride into town at 4 am.

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 12:55 AM

This is a sexist statement, just because she is a woman does not make it acceptable.

Strife
01-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Whoever said it was acceptable? When have you ever heard of a woman stalking a woman for sexual or other purposes?

Jst4u
01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
P.S. I have actually experienced these things, but I'm a man so I guess it didn't affect me in quite the same way due to my burly manliness.

A "burly" man such as yourself probably wouldn't fear for your life from an average sized (yet twice my size) drunk ******* chasing you down the street.

A man preying on a young woman is far more likely and dangerous than a man or woman preying on a burly man such as yourself. You can't deny that.

I am not being sexist. I most definitely can/will and have fought to protect myself from *******s who try to take advantage of me. However, one cannot deny the fact that the average man is far stronger than the average woman.

I don't know...maybe it's just me, but I mostly seem to hear about young women being abducted, raped, beaten and killed by random men or whoever. It's not very often I hear about a burly man abducted, beaten and raped repeatedly over the course of a week before being killed and dumped somewhere...maybe I'm watching the wrong news?

EyelashExtensions
01-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Men are less likely to report a sexual assault. It most definitely happens, just like plenty of men fall victim to domestic violence but it goes unreported as well.

I think a person who does nothing on this situation is not a good person! But anyone who stops to help OR calls the police to get a person help is doing a good thing and possibly saving a life. Unfortunately we do live in a world where we must stop and consider if the injured or distressed person has the intent of hurting us. We live in a boarder town where any rapist/murderer could pass through. As quiet and peaceful as it seems, there are drug addicts, robbers and rapists who permanently reside in this city and I wouldn't advise any person to put themselves in danger.

Strife
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
...maybe I'm watching the wrong news?

Maybe its on the anti-sexism channel lol

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 02:12 PM
no, it's not on the anti sexism channel, just like lizzardskills mentioned Men are not as likely as women to report sexual assault or domestic abuse...

A "burly" man such as yourself probably wouldn't fear for your life from an average sized (yet twice my size) drunk ******* chasing you down the street.
You don't know how big I am so you cannot be sure of that.
And if it was just a matter of your size then you should have mentioned that as the source of your fear and not because you are a woman

would be better said "Unless you are a smaller person such as myself and have experienced etc..."
I don't see how your stature has anything to do with what you have between your legs.

Strife
01-30-2009, 03:29 PM
DQ, you simply dont get it. The only thing sexist about her comments is the fact that some men prey on so called "weaker" women when they are drunk, and sometimes not even under the influence of anything. Men are far less likely to report a sexual abuse because we are men. It is somehow programmed that if we tell someone that our girlfriend hits us or otherwise abuses us, it makes us less of a man for admitting it.

Jst4u
01-30-2009, 04:34 PM
DQ, I'm going by what you said yourself. YOU called yourself a "burly" man lol

If saying that the average man is bigger and stronger than the average woman is "sexist", then I guess I am :srolleyes:

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Men are far less likely to report a sexual abuse because we are men. It is somehow programmed that if we tell someone that our girlfriend hits us or otherwise abuses us, it makes us less of a man for admitting it.

Just because their is a reason for it does not make it any less of a fact. Men get assaulted, raped and attacked as well, we just don't hear about them as much.

Jackie B
01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I'll bet for the most part, a large woman would feel more in danger of the situation than a small man would.

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
DQ, I'm going by what you said yourself. YOU called yourself a "burly" man lol

If saying that the average man is bigger and stronger than the average woman is "sexist", then I guess I am :srolleyes:

Don't change the topic just because I pointed out your sexism. you where being sexist by saying because you where a woman you had this to fear. When I called you on that you changed i to your size.
Stop digging, you're making yourself look foolish.
I think my dog figured out that my "burliness" and your "delicateness" where phrases I was using to try and prove a point.

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 04:46 PM
I'll bet for the most part, a large woman would feel more in danger of the situation than a small man would.

That's because of how women are socialized. It seems that because they have a ****** that they put themselves out to be this delicate helpless victimized flower. And that's why girls like that make me sick to my stomach.

Jst4u
01-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm not changing anything, DQ. I'm sorry you see it that way.

However, considering the fact that you are not physically a woman, I couldn't expect you to understand, anyway.

Women are by no means the "weaker" sex. But physically, we are. That's a fact that you cannot deny. Women and men think very differently. I am probably the furthest thing from a "girlie" girl...as I'm sure anyone here that knows me will agree. Yet my 2 year old daughter would rather dress up and put clips in her hair and play with her plastic kitchen...and my nephew will stand there and shoot her with a fake gun. It is how men and women are hardwired...or, the majority, I should say :)

So sure. I'm sexist. Whatever you say lol When you revert to name-calling, any chance at continuing a discussion ceases to exist, my friend.

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I never called anyone any names

D0bb3r
01-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Not to get off topic here but there are a few differences between men and women .. and i dont mean boobies !!

Nature has created men with broad shoulders and barrel chests .. we are naturally stronger and louder than women.
Im sure there are exceptions but as a standard the rule still applies, men are the aggressors the providers and protectors
not by choice .. not by society dictates but by evolution. BTW by purposely going against society standards you are still
allowing someone else to make your decisions for you !!

By allowing herself to feel fear, Jst4u is paying attention to her survival instinct she chooses not to put herself into a situation
she isnt comfortable with. Jst4u isnt choosing to let someone lie face down in the snow, she is choosing to keep herself safe...
there is a difference. And that choice hardly sets back the womens rights movement .. thats just a colorful statement you feel
lends weight to your argument ... to tell you the truth manipulating the womens rights movement to better your stance
in an argument, is actually damaging to the womens rights movement [ hows that for a twist ???]

$Spendbender$
01-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Women are by no means the "weaker" sex. But physically, we are. That's a fact that you cannot deny. .

Says you.

I know lots of men who's arses I could kick.

and THAT my dear, is a fact you cannot deny.

Macs II
01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee103/chancethedog/sigs%20and%20pal%20cards/MACHOCLUB2.jpg

Jst4u
01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Says you.

I know lots of men who's arses I could kick.

and THAT my dear, is a fact you cannot deny.

Oh I'm not denying that lol There are exceptions to everything. I'm just talking about the average man and average woman.

I am by no means a large or strong woman, but I most definitely can take on quite a few of my male friends, as well...and probably knock them out.

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Not to get off topic here but there are a few differences between men and women .. and i dont mean boobies !!

Nature has created men with broad shoulders and barrel chests .. we are naturally stronger and louder than women.
Im sure there are exceptions but as a standard the rule still applies, men are the aggressors the providers and protectors
not by choice .. not by society dictates but by evolution. BTW by purposely going against society standards you are still
allowing someone else to make your decisions for you !!

By allowing herself to feel fear, Jst4u is paying attention to her survival instinct she chooses not to put herself into a situation
she isnt comfortable with. Jst4u isnt choosing to let someone lie face down in the snow, she is choosing to keep herself safe...
there is a difference. And that choice hardly sets back the womens rights movement .. thats just a colorful statement you feel
lends weight to your argument ... to tell you the truth manipulating the womens rights movement to better your stance
in an argument, is actually damaging to the womens rights movement [ hows that for a twist ???]

next time you should actually read what I say.... If I was saying her decision to not get involved was sexist you would be absolutely correct. But I did not say that at all.
I am saying that her using the excuse that she is a woman is sexist, it is not because she is a woman, it is because she is small, and lacks the confidence to be able to defend herself. Women have faster reflexes and can take a lot more pain than men as well, both sexes are fully capable of defending themselves in their own methods. to say she would not primarily for the reason because she has a va-jay-jay is illogical. Her statements would not appear so sexist if she used reasons she had other than the fact that she is a woman.

Jst4u
01-30-2009, 05:13 PM
DQ, quite a few of your statements can be taken as sexist, as well.

Women can take a lot more pain than men? Really? So that makes it OK to put myself in danger? Because I can apparently take more pain? Hmm...

The fact is, there are a LOT of men who have nothing better to do than to prey on women. And yes, men can get abducted, raped, whatever...it does happen. But I highly doubt that even if every incident was reported (by both men and women) that the numbers would be anywhere near equal.

It's a sad truth. A woman walking down Gore St. in the middle of the night is more likely to be hurt, etc. than a man in the same situation.

Let me ask you men here...how many of you have walked down the street at night and had a car full of young men pull up and ask you to get in? I can't even count how many times it has happened to me. Would they have stopped if I was a man? No. Was I scared out of my mind? Hell yes.

Would a man be scared for his life if a car full of women pulled up to him? I doubt it.

D0bb3r
01-30-2009, 05:19 PM
She told you how she would feel in that type situation and what happened in the past to make her feel this way.
Now you say she is wrong... that she doesnt feel that way ??

I stand by my previous post too .. you may have intended a different message but what came through was what i posted about.
And im not the only one who seen it that way !!

dancingqueen
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm done with this conversation, I refuse to talk to someone who cannot admit that she may have worded something poorly or heaven forbids was wrong.
to answer your questions:
on an average basis, yes
never said that to be the case
again, never said that to be the case
It has happened to me
you never know, maybe if you get over yourself you could better gauge
I imagine you would have been
Very possible, perhaps if you got over your sexism you could see that men get scared too.

I want to comment as well on a few things before I leave this discussion

men can get abducted, raped, whatever...it does happen. But I highly doubt that even if every incident was reported (by both men and women) that the numbers would be anywhere near equal.
It appears that based off of absolutely no evidence you make gender based assumptions, that's real mature, and not at all sexist (sarcasm)

It's a sad truth. A woman walking down Gore St. in the middle of the night is more likely to be hurt, etc. than a man in the same situation.
again, no proof of this, same instance as above. People need to get over these kinds of assumptions otherwise prejudice will never go away. don't make it about gender, make it about size, confidence, ability, etc...
I am done in this discussion because I really have nothing else to say and I am sick of repeating myself.

Jst4u
01-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I worded nothing poorly and I certainly am not sexist, DQ. YOU seem to be the one with the problem lol

And considering the fact that you are not a woman and have no idea how a woman's mind works, I certainly do not care how you think a woman should feel in ANY situation.

D0bb3r
01-30-2009, 05:30 PM
That is far too an aggressive stance .. perhaps you should reword it before he comes back, try being more demure and throw a few sobs in for good measure !!