PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Potatoe

someguy
01-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Bought some yesterday to try something different and was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could use them to make??

LettuceLady
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I make mine the same way my you make regular potatoes. I roast them in the oven, use zip lock bags for the microwave, bake them in tin foil on the bar-b-q, and use them in a vegetarian sheppards pie. I eat these several times a week and they are one of my favorite vegetables!

kitca
01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
they are quite nice fairly thin sliced and fried in olive oil.

of course, the favorite, cooked, mashed and a bit of butter and real maple syrup.

someguy
01-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Im going to try and fry them and see how they turn out

NewCasa
01-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Cut into chunks and cooked, then mashed with brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Could easily substitute maple syrup for brown sugar. Kids used to love them that way.

Also, make sweet potato french fries. Really good too.

If you're making mashed with them and would like them a bit less sweet, just add some write potatoes in with them.

someguy
01-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Made them into french fries and the kids loved them

Jackie B
01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I peeled them, cut them in chunks and baked them with orange juice concentrate one time for christmas, and they were a hit.

heintzman
01-28-2009, 02:30 AM
they are the very best deep fried like french fries,,, love them,,, but they are also great roasted using the same spices as roasted potatoes,,rosemary garlic etc..

gouligann
01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Once cooked, (baked or boiled) scoop them out, mix in brown sugar,butter, cinnamon and sour cream.

I can't stand them, other than french fried (bad for the waistline), but this is a family favorite that I do for them on occasion.

Sophie's_Mommy
01-29-2009, 11:24 AM
my daughter is 7 months and she loves her sweet potato's, i buy her jar foods right now, but i guess i could boil up some sweet potato's and mash em and give then to her like that. i wonder if they taste the same as jar S.P. she has a issue with food..lol.she likes just one food at a time if i give her a mixture of like broccoli, cheese and potatoes she will not eat it, but she does like sweet potatoes and turkey..lol. im going to buy some SP today and boil them and try that for her

Sweet Little Sister
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
i slice or cube the yam, add sliced onion and bit of butter, salt. pepper. microwave..stir a few times..until tender.
yummy.

do the same on the bbq in the summer ..i use a pie plate instead of foil wrap.

can also add a bit of brown sugar if you like it sweeter

heintzman
01-30-2009, 10:45 PM
my daughter is 7 months and she loves her sweet potato's, i buy her jar foods right now, but i guess i could boil up some sweet potato's and mash em and give then to her like that. i wonder if they taste the same as jar S.P. she has a issue with food..lol.she likes just one food at a time if i give her a mixture of like broccoli, cheese and potatoes she will not eat it, but she does like sweet potatoes and turkey..lol. im going to buy some SP today and boil them and try that for her

this was one that i did for both my kids as well,,, one that i diluted with water to get a good consistancy,,,another one that i made each week was squash,, all types,,,with the exception of spaghetti,,, they loved it,,,once a week,, or so,,, i would bake squash and sweet potatoe,,, put it in the food processor,,, then into ice cube trays,,, then into freezer bags,,,,,so good for them!! and economical!! since then i have discovered roasted carrots,,, i wonder if they would be good as baby food,,, i don't see why not,,,

Sophie's_Mommy
01-31-2009, 12:13 PM
i dont see why they wouldn't be, prolly taste a hell of alot better..lol..thats a good idea i think i ll try that.

MaO3
02-02-2009, 08:52 AM
I experienced sweet potato french fries this past weekend for the first time.
Very interesting. I enjoyed them, in Michigan they served them with a bit of warm maple syrup to drizzle overtop.

heintzman
02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
whenever we do a turkey fry,,, this is when i do up a big batch,,, the kids love them,,, and they are so good for you,,, not so sure about the oil that they are fried in,,, but it is a nice treat!! will have to remember to break out the homemade syrup next time!