PDA

View Full Version : Looking for

Broken
01-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Aquarium lights (hood that goes on top on tank).

bluekrissyspikes
01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
if you just need a light you can use a shop light from canadian tire and some t8 bulbs. i just bought one for my tank, the one that is rated for use in damp places was 24.99 plus about 4 bux each for daylight bulbs suitable for growing plants.

if you are looking for a canopy specifically, then it would probably be helpful if people knew what size you needed.

bradwc2002
01-29-2009, 06:25 PM
are you looking for the tube lights or the bulb lights, i have 2 bar lights that work with light bulbs..

Broken
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Actually I have the shop light from canadian tire. They problem is it's too strong and gets too hot so I'm getting a lot of algae.
This is why I want an actual aquarium light.

crazymamma
01-31-2009, 02:14 PM
I got mine across the river I think it was under 20 at walmart. I know this side when we first had to replace it I bought it from formost and it was over 50. So If you can go across the river!

will
01-31-2009, 03:02 PM
check the pet store across the river for stuff, they have all kinds of used stuff....its someitmes hard to find at first but its not once you have got there i drove by it like 6 times first time looking....

crazymamma
01-31-2009, 03:38 PM
What's this pet store called????And where is it???

Broken
02-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah what and where?

Cruel_Intentions
02-01-2009, 03:23 PM
I know that Penny's Pets have some in stock. If you go into the fish area and look on top of the tanks (all the way up), you'll see them.

Hans
02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
If you want to make your own, buy a fluorescent fixture at Canadian Tire and a bulb at a pet store. Just avoid using the regular household bulbs.

corn316
02-02-2009, 10:51 AM
the store across is called pet crazy just take the first exit off the bridge and turn right and go about 6 blocks past ashum streetits on the left side and it look like a house almost

Broken
02-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks I'll have to check it out next time I'm across.

bluekrissyspikes
02-04-2009, 11:51 PM
you can use floating plants to get rid of algea, just wipe down the inside and change some of the water then add the floaters. you could also unscrew one of the bulbs and just have one going. i've never had any problems with the lights being too hot because t8's don't put off much heat but if you have the light right on the tank you could add something as a spacer. but if you don't have plants in your tank you don't need much light at all.

Broken
02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Actually I have LOTS of plants floating on the top, they just get covered with the algae. I also took one of the bulbs out when I first got it.

I've tried everything to get rid of the algae but can't so I'm assuming it's from the lights.

bluekrissyspikes
02-05-2009, 10:50 AM
hmm...if that's the case than there may be some other issues. excessive nutrients in the water, unstable c02 levels, infrequent water changes, too long of a photo period and other things could also cause algea. it doesn't sound like you have much light on the tank though so i would not think that is the problem. do you know what kind of algea it is? some kinds of algea can be wiped out using hydrogen peroxide which can be poured directly on it since it breaks down to water and air or by blacking the tank out for a couple days. here's a link that may help http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_freshwater_algae.php

Broken
02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the link I will look into it.

bluekrissyspikes
02-05-2009, 05:04 PM
no problem. i hope you can get it cleared up. i know how dissapointing it can be to have stuff like that happening and not be able to figure out how to treat it. there are some sites where the people can help you trouble shoot the algea issues and treat it. they will just need to know what kind of algea it is. one is www.aquariacentral.com they have an awesome planted tank section. i'll look up the other one for you.

bluekrissyspikes
02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
the other one is http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/algae/
they have a whole forum devoted to dealing with algea breakouts

Broken
02-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure it's

"Hair Algae forms around the base of slower growing plants, on gravel and bog-wood. It has green-gray color. It grows up to 4 cm, sometimes more. It is easy to remove this algae by twirling a tooth-brush around it. Most aquarists find this algae very welcome as a good food supplement for their fish. Most omnivorous fish like Angels or Barbs will supplement their diet with hair algae if not over-fed. In stronger water currents this algae forms matted clumps, as well as that, stronger water current will disturb their growth. All algae eaters will be more than happy to look after the Hair algae for you."

Looks like I'll try and tackle the problem tomorrow. Thanks for all the great links.

bluekrissyspikes
02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
glad i could help (: