PDA

View Full Version : Original Artists Where do you play?

GypsyJ
01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Was curious to know where the original artists play in the Sault, we do some covers but have about 15 originals seems the only places that support such a cause is Bottoms Up, LopLops and Steamy Bean.

J.

fenderbass
01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I hear you ...This town really doesn't go for originals. Strange I guess its just that everyone likes to hear tune they know rather then tunes they don't. I've never really tried any original material for gigs. I think Toronto and bigger cities are your best hope.

seanhalliday
01-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Gypsy,

I'm the guitar player with Huckster, an all originals band. We have a couple of gigs coming up at Docks. They have been fine about the fact we're not a covers band.

Our first gig there is Feb 20th & 21st and I'm curious as to how we'll be received by the audience there.

I think there are many people out there who would love to hear more local live original music. I wish more bands would throw in at least a couple of originals into their cover sets. There seems to be a hesitancy to do that though by many musicians I talk to, for fear of "bombing".

My last band, The Werx, were a covers band but we usually played 2 - 3 originals every time. We didn't announce them as such and often people loved then and danced!

I would say, don't let the fact you play originals stop you from approaching various venues. You might be surprised at how many places you can play and how well you are received.

Speaking from personal experience, the satisfaction of creating and playing your own material is in a different league from playing covers.

All the best, Sean

bouffant
01-30-2009, 12:40 PM
What most people in this city don't understand is that you don't have to be a rich fancy schmancy popular rock band to have good original music, they think that if your not a big band that you suck. The music only sucks because it's falling on ignorant ears that are brainwashed to believe that 80's music is still top 40 crappola. I blame it on the radio stations. Bring on the original music and let's all embrace it because someone took his / her time and brain to create something that we might appreciate..... we are not all brainwashed, there is still hope and i think your band will do great. I love hearing new music, for the few short minutes thatteh song lasts it takes you away and makes you forget about all the problems in the world, and kinda gives you hope that things can still change for the better.