PDA

View Full Version : what vehicle would you recommend

kitca
01-31-2009, 10:41 PM
if you were looking for a used vehicle that had towing capability and perhaps 4 wheel drive, but was still good on gas, seated 5 and had a fair bit of room in the back also. also, not really expensive. what vehicle would you recommend? we looked at the ford escape, but it seemed small.

Barry Morris
01-31-2009, 11:01 PM
What will you be towing??

kitca
01-31-2009, 11:44 PM
mostly 2 atv's, rarely 2 skidoo's, rarely 16ft fibreglass boat, occasionally utility trailer dump runs. weve been using our dodge caravan. 2nd transmition. got a cooler installed 2 years ago to help.

General Lee
02-01-2009, 06:01 AM
chev trail blazer, or a jeep grand cherokee, i would not touch a ford escape they are a throw away suv

FBI
02-01-2009, 11:25 AM
i would suggest buying a real truck 4 door 4 wheel drive. i have a 04 ford 150 and am glad that i bought it.

kitca
02-01-2009, 11:57 AM
thank you. i checked them out on line.
w
fbi, we have an older ford 150 we have been using, but we would much prefer something that we can use as a family, like a suv crossover type tying or something. i love our extended minivan for everything except it cant take us too much off road at all!

corn316
02-01-2009, 03:32 PM
if you are going to get a bigger suv u will loose on gas miles we just baught a ford escape from persanal touch auto service they have been a great help in buying our suv we had it for a few days and found out that the 4x4 was not working braught it back and they are having it fixed at no coast to me and this was not thier fault why it was broken even ford is having a hard time wondering what is wrong with it and they have lent me a van at no cost wile we wait for it to be repaird i would recomend that u go see them and they can get you what u want for an suv at a decent price with warenty on a used car but i would stay away from GM as they have big electrical problems but u may aslo consider a santa fe they have decent gas miles and are roomy

Quick Slice
02-01-2009, 04:10 PM
The wife and I test drove a Ford Explorer. Lots of towing power, was a 6 cylinder, had 4x4, and lots of space (we found). Also could fit 5 people. Some of them can fit 7, if you choose an 8 Cyl. I also think that they, along with Jeep Grand Cherokees are by far the nicest looking SUV's. Seemed to have good gas mileage.

However, we just recently bought a Dodge Grand Caravan Sport. Haven't tested out the trailer hitch installed yet, but the previous owner swears on it. Plus, so far, the gas mileage has been good. It's not 4x4, which is what i was looking for, but for space and such, it's a good decision for us as a family for now.

I think I will be looking into an SUV within the next 5 years of owning this vehicle.

You'll be looking at higher gas mileage if you choose a truck... however, you could look at the newer chev's, and I think there are others that have that fuel flex thing going.. Supposedly a big difference.

Anyways, good luck.

Peety
02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a Expedition.
I think I would like a Excursion,I like the look of them as far as gas milage it is not so great!

kitca
02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
ok, call me dumb here, but what is the difference between a caravan and a caravan sport? we checked out a vehicle at personal touch this afternoon, just a quick peek. nice to hear they have good service and such. any places you guys would stay away from? i havent heard good things about the place that rhymes with 'spud hobinson.' (am i allowed to say that?)

i think its going to be really hard to get the size and capabilities AND the gas milage. our friends in goulais have a grand cherokee, they work in town and they say the gas is just killing them. (though not so much in the past few weeks eh!)

kitca
02-01-2009, 05:22 PM
what do you think of the dodge durango?

hp2
02-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I am a dodge owner of a dakota club cab.. ITS a 4.7l v8.. HAS a **** load of power... ITS an 01 which is new to me :) I love my truck we are dodge people.... I dont notice a huge difference on gas AS I had a murcury grand marquis before this. and it was a 4.6l..

as for towning with the club cab dakota.. which mine is two wheel drive.. IT pulls like a brut... ITS STRONG... and really we dont feel a a trailer on it...

as for the durango.. WE have been looking at them as WE are a family of five and if we travel we have no where to put luggage. covered from outdoor elements.

I LOVE MY TRUCK would not trade it for the world..... BUT we are looking at durangos..

P.s a durango and the dakota are pretty much same mechanically as they have the same underside, parts etc....

BALL JOINTS IN THEM GO BAD but from 00 and up have a extended warrenty as this has been knowen problem.. I had my truck about 4 months and I could hear them.. I called superior dodge for a price.. as IM married to a mechanic but he did not feel like doing them lol if the price was right for someone else to do it.. well I Called and he ran my vin number to tell me bring it in.. THEY are covered... SWEET....

IT runs good.. we also had a bit of problem with the tranny when we got it.. it was slipping out of reverse....

we took it out to ricky atkins in goulias and he opened it to change a piston for us that they told us was most likely the problem to find out the plate*I cant think of the name of it* anyways the one for the reverse was worn... and had to be replaced.. he drove my husband into town to get the part and went to 3 differnet tranny places to get the part.. put it all back together and charged us 100 buxs... works like new again...

LIKE I Said I LOVE MY TRUCk.. the people who owned it before we did actually stoped in 2 weeks ago to see how we liked it.. as THEY miss there baby LOL p.s and we also did not by it from them.. we bought it off alot in town.....(and they know its theres cause its a one of a kind.. Only 50 of mine made the way it is)

p.ss we also would not buy one unless it has the 4.7l in it... nothing more nothing less.... its got more then enough power...

kitca
02-01-2009, 06:41 PM
thanks hp2, that sounds good. we just went to look at an 02 durango, and both of us really liked it. now i just have to make sure it gets a good review. we are only a family of 3 - but we are all tall and need the room. we also have 2 lg dogs and 'stuff' we keep with us.

weve gone to ricky too, my dad uses him alot as he also lives close by. i think his wife is just wonderful.

thanks for the info, makin me like this!!!

hp2
02-01-2009, 08:13 PM
My husband is now home and he said the only major problem is the uppper ball joints in them... as he has reviewed the dakota/durango out the ying yang LOL.. he loves our truck to....

Dodge has 10 yr warrenty on upper ball joints on them cause of the said problem LIke I mentioned.

kitca
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
thanks so much!

kitca
02-01-2009, 11:48 PM
under private sale does the dealership still honour the warranty? is it for any owner, or just the original owner? thx.

hp2
02-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Hey Kitca.. we purchased our vehicle from Jim mancuso.. yes its a lot but we bought it "where is as is"....

it was about 4 months later I called superior dodge and I told them I am not the orignal owner.. he said it DOES NOT MATTER..... its a problem and they are responsibile to fix it............

So I was very lucky.

the only thing that sucked was he told me 2 hrs.. and I did not have my truck most of the day.. that was about june08 I had them done this

Barry Morris
02-02-2009, 11:11 AM
I asked about what was being towed, with this thought in mind.

The president of the Christian Motorcycle Association rides around the country towing a huge fifth wheel trailer, that has room for him, the wife and his five kids, not to mention a garage for the two Harleys.

He bought a four year old Freightliner tractor with the biggest sleeper there is (they home-school). The conversion to single rear axle and fifth wheel hitch was paid for by the parts sold off.

The truck cost less than a new one ton, has more power, more fuel economy and more warranty LEFT on the CAT engine than any one ton or four wheel drive available.

The only problem is the size, I suppose, though it isn't THAT much bigger than a one ton. But its huge!!

Giggle Squirt
02-03-2009, 11:55 PM
from experience i would recomend a jeep. I personally would not buy a vehicle with 4wd that was not used ever. or a vehicle that was used to tow a heavy trailer. Some people just don't konw how to tow right. Jeeps have been my best friend. They are easy to come by, parts are mostly dealership. (from experience) but they seat 5 and have alot of room to pack baby/kid crap with you with you go camping.

Barry Morris
02-04-2009, 01:22 AM
The wife and I test drove a Ford Explorer. Lots of towing power, ....

So what did you tow so you could tell??

BooBooMyKy
02-04-2009, 08:21 AM
i drive a ford expidition and i happened to blow a break line ...so had to get it fixed and in the meen while i drove a jeep cherekee (whivh was a nice ride) but way to small for my family of five ... so if its room you neeed then i recomend the expidition..cheeers

someguy
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Kitcha I would stay away from a certain dealer you have been to on the GNR. Many problems from them with a lot of people I know. If you have any ?'s about this PM me.

Peety
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM

Cousins owned one and they couldn't afford the fuel..
They look ok ..If you have lots of extra money for gas ,,

hp2
02-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Cousins owned one and they couldn't afford the fuel..
They look ok ..If you have lots of extra money for gas ,,

LOL from what you drive it should be peanuts... I get roughly 400 to a tank city driving on a tank... But cause my truck is club cab its 21 gallons regular cab is 19..... AND I dont go on it easy unless :) I fill up accross the river and right now it cost us under 35 american there and back. full tank of gas...

The Piper
02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I get roughly 400 to a tank city driving on a tank... But cause my truck is club cab its 21 gallons regular cab is 19..... .

Ummm Thats around 11-12 miles per gallon..and you find that good?? Wow.

Peety
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
LOL from what you drive it should be peanuts... I get roughly 400 to a tank city driving on a tank... But cause my truck is club cab its 21 gallons regular cab is 19..... AND I dont go on it easy unless :) I fill up accross the river and right now it cost us under 35 american there and back. full tank of gas...

I am talking Durango,,
My truck is so so on fuel..
we drive it quite a bit around here and back and forth,,
Its about 80 a week,

Quick Slice
02-04-2009, 08:12 PM
So what did you tow so you could tell??

lol, well we were told, and a friend of the family has one, that tows snowmachines around. Never have heard of a complaint. ;)

Quick Slice
02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
And I think the difference between the Grand Caravan, and Grand Caravan Sport, is just like a body moulding added here or there, .. 2nd'ly, it might be the fact that i have the temperature gauge thing in my van at the top.. ??
I'm pretty sure it's something like that..

_daynzy
02-04-2009, 08:37 PM

i wish.. i get 470km's out of a 33 gallon tank...

hp2
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Ummm Thats around 11-12 miles per gallon..and you find that good?? Wow.

It is not bad considering it carts 5 of us around most times.. ITS a club cab and ITS a V8...... and that is city driving..

P.s We just filled up today across the river it was 36.68 and that was 427 km that tank..... I do admit if I did not tromp on it or let my other half drive it LOL it would prob go farther.. and

I also let the truck Idle time of 15 mins before we go anywhere these last few weeks cause its so frigen cold out.

hp2
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I am talking Durango,,
My truck is so so on fuel..
we drive it quite a bit around here and back and forth,,
Its about 80 a week,

LOL I know what you were talking about..

My dakota is the same as a durango.. and Really ITS not that bad on gas.

kitca
02-05-2009, 08:07 PM
i really like that durango we looked at, perfect for size, interior room and it has what hubby wants for towing and off road. the gas scares me, i did some more looking at reviews on the internet and seems there are lots of gas comments. damn!!! do you think any vehicle that size is going to be the same or is it just the dakota and durango that are worse? thx.

Andre
02-05-2009, 08:28 PM
do you think any vehicle that size is going to be the same or is it just the dakota and durango that are worse? thx.

My parents 1974 24' Winnebago with a 454 4bbl got almost as good as gas mileage as that.

You can do better!

someguy
02-06-2009, 07:53 PM
I average 11MPG in the city and 18MPG HWY and would not trade it for the world.