PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa Senators' fire Craig Hartsburg

Jack Butler
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
The ride is over after 48 games.

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=37389

Koss
02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Too Bad. This was probably Hartsburg's last chance to stick in the NHL. It seems though that the Senator's problems run deeper than their coaching issues. 4 coaches in 2 years - yikes.

Oh well. I guess he'll have more time to relax and take in the scenery around Echo Bay.

BooBooMyKy
02-02-2009, 03:04 PM
sounds about right"echo bay" cause i'm guessin he'll be the soon to be New GREYHOUND coach....just a hunch

jeffster
02-02-2009, 03:36 PM
I can't see them getting rid of Denny Lambert that easily. The greyhounds definitely have a less than admirable record at this point in the season, but the team is also lacking in talent, experience, size, skill and motivation. The pool of talent they have to choose from is like trying to make a silk purse from a pig's ear.

Although Craig Hartsburg would be a welcome return to the coaches spot, it's not necessarily the answer to save a struggling team...as the Sens have been trying to find out 4 times in the last 2 years.

Barry Morris
02-02-2009, 03:40 PM
It seems though that the Senator's problems run deeper than their coaching issues. 4 coaches in 2 years - yikes......

A clear sign of any operation in trouble, and a place to stay away from.

Broken
02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Do we not have a sports section?

really?
02-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Echo Bay can have him. Wonder how they made the finals in 2007 with such a poorly run organization?

Slow
02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Echo Bay can have him. Wonder how they made the finals in 2007 with such a poorly run organization?

With Heatley, Spezza, and Fisher, it's hard not to win. But after a blip (the Finals), the Sens have found a way to lose with an abundance of talent.

Now THAT takes talent.

Super Gram
02-03-2009, 09:06 AM
The Senators has a bunch of forward Prima Donnas but no defense. The Senators are too fussy who coaches them. At least that is their excuse. I'm so tired of listening to Spezza and Alfie.

Super Gram
02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
With Heatley, Spezza, and Fisher, it's hard not to win. But after a blip (the Finals), the Sens have found a way to lose with an abundance of talent.

Now THAT takes talent.

I agree with you....it takes talent to lose all those games. Or should I say ignore the way the coach wants you to play.

Jack Butler
02-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I wonder what Peter DeBoer thinks?
4 coaches in 2 years....can you say dysfunctional?
Not a big Hartburg fan, but he didn't have a chance.
Murray keeps letting the players off the hook......it's the coach fault, again!
I just don't get Melnyk in all of this, why doesn't he see it?
And, Hartburg is not coming back here...no way....not here!

rmkryan
02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't think it's his fault. They have been saying the same stuff for years. We have a good core - yet they get the same results no matter what. They need to blow it up and find some stability in goal. It's too bad for him. Coacjes are always the scape goat though.

Super Gram
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM
As Craig says they just didn't buy into his system.

Alfie says He couldn't coach us. lol

Be Bouer didn't want to go to Ottawa.....he knew what the team was like. He would rather teach a bunch of younger players. At least they buy his system

riggs
02-04-2009, 12:45 AM
As Craig says they just didn't buy into his system.

Alfie says He couldn't coach us. lol

Be Bouer didn't want to go to Ottawa.....he knew what the team was like. He would rather teach a bunch of younger players. At least they buy his system

A lot of teams haven't "bought into his system" which leads me to believe either his system is flawed or he has never gained the respect of those he coaches.

A respectable player doesn't always have the ability to coach.It's just the nature of all sports.

mags
02-04-2009, 07:35 AM
With all the talent the Senators have and the number of coaches they had lately. Combine this with their continuous inability to score and win games. Something is unfundamentaly wrong with the team. Changes need to be made in the thinking and practices of the front office, owner, and manager. Repeatedly changing coaches has not worked nor is that the apparent problem.

rmkryan
02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
I think with the money theses guys make, they should respect the coach and buy into the system. If there a captain and there are some disgruntled players who don't buy into it or agree with it, I think he should be an advocate to the coach an dmake him aware, but also defend his coach. The Sens have been a mess for years. Too much talent, not enough role players.. and no stability and goal.

riggs
02-04-2009, 11:47 AM
There's no doubt that organisation is in need of some sweeping changes.The coach is always the first to shoulder the blame because a change in his position requires the least amount of energy/disruption to the organisation.

I'm not sure Ottawa will ever play up to their potential no matter who's behind the bench.My point is,Hartsburg demanded respect from his players which he never recieved from day one.Maybe it was the threats he made after being hired by the organisation prior to ever meeting a player.He warned them of dire consequences if they didn't follow his system.Well, here we are more than half way through the season and he is gone and the players remain.Is it the fault of the organisation for not backing him and making changes he recommended or did they realise maybe they made the wrong selection for coach.

Either way, I have watched his players perform with a total lack of organisation and motivation on different levels which leads me to believe he should definitely be shouldering some of the blame for Ottawa's performance.

Best of luck to you Craig on your next venture!!

Anapeg
02-04-2009, 05:56 PM
The boy does seem to trip over his mouth on occasion, doesn't he?

Slow
02-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Eugene Melnyk recently told some fans and critics of his team to "go blow themselves up"

Do you think Bettman and Co will have a problem approving the Kabul Senators?

Super Gram
02-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Accordingto TSN Craig is taking all the blame. So case closed

riggs
02-07-2009, 10:37 AM

A smart move seeing he will remain with the organization for the remainder of his contract.

Striker
02-09-2009, 01:26 PM

The case may be closed ,but the problem will persist no matter who shoulders the blame.

Slow
02-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm not a Brian Murray fan by an stretch, but I wonder why John Muckler gets off scott-free in all this.

He traded away a lot of second round picks during his four-year tenure. He also traded away people like Bouchinski (Minn), Hossa, and Havlat. And who is left from all of this?

Dany Heatley.

GRUMPY
02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Some of the players are saying it was his fault as he wasn't able to motivate them. Think I'll try that at work if the boss catches me dogging it,"Sorry boss but its all your fault not mine if you motivated me more I might just work harder" that would go over good. Time some of these jokers realized that once you start getting paid it ain't a game any more but a job.