PDA

View Full Version : Downloading

cutie22
02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok I'm trying to download from the Microsoft website and when I click on download it brings up a new page and than that page gets "page cannot be displayed" it happens in both firefox and IE7.
Also with this new Windows live messenger I cannot open my hotmail by just clicking on the email button. Any clues??? I want the old windows live back.

axalon2003
02-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Have you run Windows Update? You may need to do that before things work properly.

cutie22
02-04-2009, 11:48 PM
haven't thought of that, guess it is a good idea considering I just reloading this thing over the weekend. lol. I try to avoid some updates!Thanks I will give it a try.

cutie22
02-05-2009, 12:03 AM
never mind that idea I can't even get updates I get an error code 80244019. Checked the MS website and that was no use for any help. ARGH I just can't win

Andre
02-05-2009, 01:20 AM
might be the dns trojan
try http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
download, install, run update, and then do a full system scan.
It should automatically fix it for you.
You can check the log file when it's done and see if it has quarantined and deleted the files for you.
If it has reboot and then run your windows updates.

cutie22
02-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Thanks Andre but I tried the link and it gives me page cannot be displayed.

axalon2003
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Do you have access to another computer? If you do, you can download he file to a flash drive and then load it from there on to the problem system.
Was your computer plugged in to the internet while you were reloading? A lot of people get infected while reloading, since that's when you don't have any protection loaded on it yet. For future reference, you may want to pull the power plug on your modem next time you reload, and not plug it in until you are done loading your computer.

axalon2003
02-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Do you have DSL or cable internet? And do you have a router? If you have DSL, and no router, you may have to reinstall the software that came with your DSL modem package. I am not ruling out a trojan, but this is another possibility.

cutie22
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
axaalon2003 I have a laptop so when I reload I shut off the wireless card for the simple fact it gives me issues when it comes time to install it anyways. Unfortunately there is no other working computer in the house. I have cable internet. I Andre emailed me the software last night and well still get the same issue. I think I may have to look at reloading again.

Andre
02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm surprised malwarebytes didn't work. It's about the best free scanner available. Even better than most of the paid ones...
For the hell of it, you can try updating malwarebytes again, turn off system restore, boot into safe mode and run the software again.
It's worth a shot.

axalon2003
02-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Did you reset the encryption key for your wireless? Your modem likely has encryption set up on it tp keep other people from leeching your internet connection. Also, make sure your computer is trying to connect to correct wireless connection. I've seen people have problems for weeks on end trying to connect, only to find that they were trying to connect to someone elses network.

Andre
02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I believe she can connect to the internet, just not to any security sites.

cutie22
02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I can connect to the internet fine without a problem. I just cant download anything from the Microsoft website or my windows updates.

Andre
02-05-2009, 03:02 PM
If you can connect to this one, you can give it a try.
http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/

cutie22
02-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks everyone for all the help. I just ended up getting fustrated and reloading the system. LOL updates are going good now.