PDA

View Full Version : New kind of Broadband access

BlueSky
02-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Can someone interpret this article for me in techno-free language?
Does this mean that we will one day be picking off hi-speed internet out of the air with the digital version of rabbit ears?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Technology/Digital+bring+steroids+Canada/1254464/story.html

Hans
02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Read below. From what I gather, after analogue tv has been replaced by digital tv, the analogue frequencies not used anymore could be used by unlicensed devices. As you might know, white space or snow is what you get on a tv frequency that is analogue and not used to broadcast a signal on. I would not hold my breath for it, since there's the obvious issue of upstream bandwidth. I see this turning into something similar to satellite internet.

The spectrum used to broadcast TV through the airwaves, specifically the ones used by traditional network television, is dramatically underutilized and holds endless potential for future innovation. This unused spectrum space is known as White Space, and utilizing the improved signal reliability and range of that spectrum will spur innovation and create new applications for consumers, students, and emergency personnel.

To understand the vast potential of TV white spaces you need to put into perspective the amount of unused, high quality spectrum lying dormant right now. In many geographical markets, as much as 75% of the airwaves used to carry network television signals are unused. This tremendous resource will be an invaluable tool to the innovators of tomorrow working to create devices that operate on wireless Internet networks; devices like handheld wireless cable televisions and even mesh networks for community Internet access with no dead zones and access for all.

TV white spaces have the potential to change the way we communicate, log on, and interact. It has the potential to not only change the way we think of wireless, it has the potential to make a wireless world a reality.