PDA

View Full Version : who's good at deciphering Shaw logs?

Hans
02-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I am trying to figure out why my dir-655 router has issues getting a new IP on a Shaw connection when I change the WAN MAC address. I looked around on the net, and found I am not the only person with that problem.
Is it specific to that router, or is it an issue with the Motorola SB5102?

The symptoms are that after a DHCP release, a WAN MAC change, and a reboot of the router, the router is not getting a new IP address. Only way around is to recycle power to the cable modem. With my old Terayon I could release/renew without having to recycle the cable modem.

I have been poking around in the cable modem log, and noticed some errors.
Any ideas if they are related to this issue I am having?

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4034/shawdo7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hans
02-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Well, turns on the Motorola modems assign IP's based on Macs. So, the only way to release the IP is power cycle the modem.
Rather defeats the purpose of DHCP in my opinion.

Shawn
02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Ya, its weird Shaw is the only one with this problem, the rest of the cable companies I deal with just pick up the new ip... but with Shaw any time you add a new device into the modem, you have to power cycle the modem to pick up the new ip.

Hans
02-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I think it might be related to the fact that they incorporate the connected device MAC in their DNS system.
But it's still annoying if you want to grab a new IP to have to power cycle the modem, since it has no power button.

Shawn
02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Better than Persona in Sudbury... we have to release the mac address, or the customer has to leave the device unplugged for about 24 hours for it to forget about the ip.

Hans
02-08-2009, 02:15 PM
That sounds like a bug to me, lol.

Shawn
02-08-2009, 10:26 PM
No some cable companies setup their networks like that so it holds the mac until you clear the arp to get rid of it, and won't assign a new one till you have done so. Now that they all have 2 ip's on persona its not so much of a problem, but for the longest time it was only one ip...

Konig-OV
02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Firstly, Google DOCSIS.

Secondly, Shawn, that did not make sense?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ya, its weird Shaw is the only one with this problem, the rest of the cable companies I deal with just pick up the new ip... but with Shaw any time you add a new device into the modem, you have to power cycle the modem to pick up the new ip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Better than Persona in Sudbury... we have to release the mac address, or the customer has to leave the device unplugged for about 24 hours for it to forget about the ip.

You said Shaw was the only cable company with this problem, but then go on to say Persona (Cable company in sudbury), has a problem with that as well?

Shawn
02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Persona has engineered their network so you have to call them to remove the mac, its not just a simple pull of the power on the modem which is quite different. There are a lot of Cable companies that force you to call them to remove the mac if you only have 1 ip available to be able to obtain a new one, but if there is nothing on there you can just plug a new device in without power cycling the modem...

Shaw on the other hand majority of the time you have to power cycle to get it to give you a new ip.

Konig-OV
02-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Nice save.

tired-n-cranky
02-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Shaw is not the only cable company that has this at all.

Rogers, Cogeco, Mountain Cable in Hamilton, Southmount cable, all do.

This is because the number of IP addresses or CPE allowed behind a cable modem are defined in the cable modem config file. If CPE is set to 1, then 1 MAC address is allowed to be bridged through the modem with an IP from the provider. If CPE is 2, then 2 MAC, etc.

Every single DOCSIS cable provider I have ever worked with across Canada has this exact same issue.

V Code
02-11-2009, 12:59 PM
not only canada but in the US as well. been like that for years. SHAW was just behind in tech which is why it only appears to folk that its a shaw problem. the fact that the old network and terayon's were fine is useless because the old shaw network is junk and severely outdated. took them 6 years to catch up with the rest of the world.

Scabtacular
02-15-2009, 01:48 AM
Thanks a Ton! I can't count the number of times I came back from Laning, setup everything back to normal, and my Voip phone wouldn't work till i power cycle the modem! It's nice to get some background info on the subject matter!

Before I would play power cycle roullete with the router, voip box, then shaw modem last AFTER I pulled out most my hair!