PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Meatballs

cutie22
02-08-2009, 01:34 PM
I am going to make swedish meatballs tonight but am thinking there is an easier way to do it other than what I have found online. I'm a picky person so it makes it harder to know if I'm going to like it done this way.
Swedish Meatballs

Saute 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion in butter.
Mix together with: 1/2 lb. each veal & pork (preferably ground together)
1 c. half & half cream
1 c. bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. catsup or tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. allspice
A little chopped parsley, fresh or dried

Mix all together thoroughly and refrigerate several hours before using (very important).

Make small round balls no larger then the end of your thumb. Fry in a little butter until brown. Shake skillet constantly to keep meatballs round.

Place the browned meatballs in a covered casserole in a slow oven, 325 to 350 degrees for 30 minutes. They are delicious and have a very special flavor.

Sauce
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour crem
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
milk
In a medium bowl combine sauce ingredients. Place meatballs in a skillet or crock pot along with sauce and simmer 45 minutes. Serve over mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.

So my question is is this how everyone makes it? If not will you tell me how u make it please

Sophie's_Mommy
02-09-2009, 10:08 AM
everything sounds pretty much right, except i just use hamburger, not veal and pork, and i dont put in the all spice. but other then that , that sounds right, oh ya and i dont refrigerate for hours either.

Asparas
02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm going to assume that it's 1/4 cup milk for this recipe?

(I've never made these before so I'm just trying to copy down the recipe lol)

cutie22
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
that is what I used last night was a 1/4 cup of milk. I also used all hamburger. Didn't find it to bad. I ended up adding a bit more bread crumbs because I found it really sticky and hard to make the balls. I also only put in the fridge for a couple hrs instead of several. here is the website that I got the recipe from http://www.muchmenus.com/Swedish_Meatballs_Recipe.htm oh ya I found that the sauce was not all that saucy and was really think.

BrAt
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
If the sauce is too thick you can just add more milk until you get the consistency you're looking for. They are all flavourful ingredients so it won't cut down on taste. :)

cutie22
02-10-2009, 12:03 AM
I never thought of adding more milk lol. Trial and Error though. I will know that for next time. I just like coming up with new things to try especially if it is something that I can freeze because than the hubby can bring it on the hwy with him.