PDA

View Full Version : So Sad

Slow
02-09-2009, 10:40 AM
"MMR doctor Andrew Wakefield fixed data on autism"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5683671.ece

I know many parents who refused to get their kids vaccinated, due to this 'scare'. I've told parents of school children to not rely solely on this data. But everyone wanted to believe autism was related to childhood vaccines. It provided an answer for parents who, rightly so, were confused and angered over their child having autism.

The fact is, we don't know the exact causes of it. Research continues. But having tens of thousands of parents refuse childhood vaccinations due to a doctor with an agenda is a tragedy of immense proportions. The long-term effects of this will be felt for generations to come.

Barney Rubble
02-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I had a good morning until i saw this thread that should be in the health & wellness section & not in the soapbox!
:)

Slow
02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
This is news!

Health and Wellness...LOL

Barney Rubble
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
now i feel bad for getting it moved on ya!
anyways, the soabox isn't for learnin & uploadin knowledge stuff, it's for "best food in town" , "condolences" threads & stuff like that!

EyelashExtensions
02-09-2009, 11:48 AM
It's health related news. I also find this VERY VERY sad indeed! I don't see what the Dr. would have to gain by manipulating results. There will still be parents out there that will still refuse to vaccinate their children because of his first report. A lot of them will think this is just another attempt to avoid that vaccines are responsible. I often wondered how parents would think that the government would lie about it. I know if it was true the government would have to pay, but there are many well respected Drs. who have said and found time and time again that it was NOT caused by vaccines. Not all Drs. will just say it was because the government told the to.

official soonet pu$$ycat
02-09-2009, 11:55 AM
(Removed) Didnt want to make someone look bad.

bluekrissyspikes
02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
they are starting to detect autism earlier now, and they can get hints that a child might be autistic as early as six months old now, by how a child reacts to the doctor calling them by name.

Slow
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
now i feel bad for getting it moved on ya!
anyways, the soabox isn't for learnin & uploadin knowledge stuff, it's for "best food in town" , "condolences" threads & stuff like that!

Or talking about how pissed off something gets you.

Chaotic Chick
02-09-2009, 05:23 PM
I know some parents who refused to vaccinate their children, thinking that there was a link to autism. In fact, one person actually told me that having my children vaccinated was why my 16 year old is autistic.

My sister is one of those people; none of her five children has been vaccinated. They have had whooping cough, measles, and God knows what else because she thought that so many other things are linked to vaccinations. When I took Intro to Psych, we saw a few news videos showing that autism is linked to a few different things, none of which were vaccinations. Yet one of my classmates told me, "Getting her shots was the worst thing you could have done. You GAVE your daughter autism".

Anyway, shame on that doctor. Imagine how many children have been exposed to potentially life-threatening viruses because of his "research"?

Anapeg
02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Sad to think that you needn't be right to be published in the journal, only educated. People assume that with a degree comes moral fibre.

verotik66
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I know some parents who refused to vaccinate their children, thinking that there was a link to autism. In fact, one person actually told me that having my children vaccinated was why my 16 year old is autistic.

My sister is one of those people; none of her five children has been vaccinated. They have had whooping cough, measles, and God knows what else because she thought that so many other things are linked to vaccinations. When I took Intro to Psych, we saw a few news videos showing that autism is linked to a few different things, none of which were vaccinations. Yet one of my classmates told me, "Getting her shots was the worst thing you could have done. You GAVE your daughter autism".

Anyway, shame on that doctor. Imagine how many children have been exposed to potentially life-threatening viruses because of his "research"?

after seeing many many kids with autism i would think a major component is genetic, some gene gone wrong, but maybe something in the environment is causing this.. there can be any manner of contaminants in a batch of vaccine, this stuff gets injected into your child, some cleaning fluid in your injection cannot be a good thing...

Chaotic Chick
02-09-2009, 08:10 PM
According to some studies (I don't have the information handy though), there is a genetic factor. One study even suggested that autism was more common in children who's fathers were over 40 when they were conceived. This is not the case for my daughter but apparently it is a factor that was found in common. In studies of twins, they found that if one twin was autistic, there was a much higher incident of autism on the other twin as well.

Environment could certainly be a factor as well. It seems that more children are being diagnosed than thirty years ago. Is this because the doctors are testing for it more? Or is it because of environmental factors? Hard to say but I do not believe that vaccinations play a part in autism. I am a firm believer in vaccinating children. If there had been a chicken pox vaccine readily available when my kids were young, I would have had that one given to them along with the others. Two of my children had nasty complications when they had chicken pox... if they were so horribly ill from something many people believe is "just a normal childhood disease" then it scares me to think of the problems a child can have from getting measles, mumps or meningitis.

Toto
02-09-2009, 11:27 PM

Exactly! Because of folks like your sister who refuse to have their children vaccinated, tuberculosis is making a come-back. What scares me the most is that polio is running rampant in the Middle-East in places like Pa kistan, India, Indonesia and Afghanistan. So, our soldiers who are serving in those places are being exposed and, even if they don't get the disease themselves, who's to say that they won't bring it home with them? They would then expose all those children who haven't been vaccinated against a disease that was totally eradicated in North American decades ago.

CANDY_74
02-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Friends of ours recently found out that their son who is in grade 1 is autistic.

bluekrissyspikes
02-17-2009, 12:23 AM
i beleive in the genetic factor. in my daughter's father's side of the family there are 5 autistic(aspergers) kids and they also think that some of the adults have it too but they've never been tested to say they have it or not.

Chaotic Chick
02-17-2009, 07:04 AM
I believe in the genetic factor as well. I have people in my family who have Asperger's; an adult can be quite functional with it and it can also go undiagnosed until one is an adult (as in some cases I have seen).

Tutones
02-17-2009, 07:10 AM
My friend has three sons, all of which were diagnosed with varying degrees of autism spectrum disorder. Both parents are genius level IQ. Dad got his PHD in math when he was 24. Mom finished her second Master's degree in Music at the same age.
I wouldn't be surprised if there was an Asperger's gene in one or both of the parents that was never diagnosed.

I think there is definitely a genetic component to Autism, but not exclusively.