PDA

View Full Version : Bellview park train

Broken
02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Tonight city council votes on whether to keep the train or get rid of it for safety.
Wonder what they'll do.

General Lee
02-09-2009, 07:21 PM
who cares its a dumb train melt it down for scrap

Broken
02-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Apparently a lot of people care.

Macs II
02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
It's nothing but piece of junk metal ......to waste $31.000 tax payers money and another $20.000 to cover it later on is ridiculous.
If the kids can't play on it ...sink it to the bottom of Lake Superior.
Better yet ....put it in the middle of downtown so all the store owners can worship the stupid thing.

General Lee
02-09-2009, 07:42 PM
It's nothing but piece of junk metal ......to waste $31.000 tax payers money and another $20.000 to cover it later on is ridiculous.
If the kids can't play on it ...sink it to the bottom of Lake Superior.
Better yet ....put it in the middle of downtown so all the store owners can worship the stupid thing.

for once i agree with ya :confused2:

GRUMPY
02-09-2009, 07:52 PM
It was a great play thing in it's time sadly that time has passed so if the best they can do is leave it where it is only with a fence around it so that kids can't get at it then what good is it?

fenderbass
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I'm sure a lot of us have memories of the train..I have pictures of when I was a kid on the train..Its since been vandalized and defaced so many times..That even painting it is a waste of money, Sadly I think its time for the little engine . To be recycled into something more useful..Like a boat anchor...just my own opinion..I don't like to see my tax dollars wasted on junk..

Barry Morris
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
I want the engines.

Jack Daniel
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
It's too bad that the Station Mall wasn't interested in it. Being that they have a train in their logo and are located right beside the station. They could have displayed the train over by the mall. They could have even made up t-shirts and other souvenirs with "porter" on it and sold then at the Tour Train Station. Perhaps they could have developed a mascot for mall events that resembled "porter".

Shawn
02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
It's too bad that the Station Mall wasn't interested in it. Being that they have a train in their logo and are located right beside the station. They could have displayed the train over by the mall. They could have even made up t-shirts and other souvenirs with "porter" on it and sold then at the Tour Train Station. Perhaps they could have developed a mascot for mall events that resembled "porter".

Actually if you noticed their logo has changed...

official soonet pu$$ycat
02-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Can there be a bigger waste of money?

Jack Daniel
02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Actually if you noticed their logo has changed...

Holy Crap, when did that happen. I gotta get out more often. No more "centre of it all..." . OK, forget that idea then, melt the little bugger down there's probably a few grand in scrap steel there.

Anapeg
02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Everything has a lifespan, a length of time that it serves a purpose, it's time is done.

someguy
02-10-2009, 08:28 AM
This thread is a prime example in some posts of the backwards mentality of this city. It is 2009 not 1909. Things change and we must move on. Accept change as it is good for you. Holding on to the past will only keep you grounded.

Broken
02-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Did anyone hear what the outcome of the meeting was?

Xzavia
02-10-2009, 09:00 AM
If the kids can't play on it then they should move it! Putting a fence around something like that (imo) is only going to entice some kids to really really want to play on it. Especially if their parents talk about how they used to play on it all the time.

I remember going to Bellevue Park as a kid and as soon as our feet hit the ground getting out of the car we were off running to the train so we could climb on it. Pretty soon all the fun stuff will be fenced off because parents are too busy to supervise their kids closely.

someguy
02-10-2009, 09:01 AM
They decided on wasting our tax dollars with keeping it fenced in with a plaque telling its history

Broken
02-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Really? I thought for sure they would get rid of it.

Broken
02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Meh...don't effect me, I don't play on it. :slol:

EyelashExtensions
02-10-2009, 09:06 AM
I think they should put it at the City Limits, either east or north. It would make a cool welcome to the soo display.

kinkysquiggles
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Wouldn't have been a problem if people knew how to supervise their children. IT was dangerous.....stupid parents that don't watch their kids are....

Sweet Little Sister
02-10-2009, 09:46 AM
they should take a picture of it and hang it up at Muio's with all the other 'old things that used to be' in the Sault. get rid of it..why waste 30 grand on fencing and landscaping that's going to generating more spending on up keep and repair?

auction it it off to the public..i bet Xz's hubby would love to have it in his yard..

Andre
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I still have my grandpa's hardhat that says Eng.67 on it.
Memories.
But let the kids play on it or get rid of it.

Peety
02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I think that crazy,,
They should think of better ways to spend money..

Ultra54
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Since as some have pointed out that such things as the train have provided for 50 years, ie, excercise, adventure and coordination training (no pun) have become passe I propose we erect something more telling of our time. A cement pad with a roof over it to house several couches and lazy boy chairs with integrated toilets. Add in internet access and PUC and maybe a big screen tv to boot. Now if I had the final say I would top it off by having MACS dunked into a vat of molten scrap bronze to create a life size replica and place it at this site. This in turn would remind all who used it whom they owe a debt to, not to mention an excellent place for birds to ****. Finally I would want it called either the "Crusty" or "Crotchety" centre.
This begs the question, why are there any trees allowed to stand in the park or anywhere people might frequent as surely a lawyer somewhere would recognize the "danger" they present?

Peety
02-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I would be more afraid of the water and the birds!!
The trees don't move..

starterwiz
02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Wonder how long after the paint job will Porter have his happy face back. I give it two weeks max.

Xzavia
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
auction it it off to the public..i bet Xz's hubby would love to have it in his yard..

LOL!!! I bet he would!!!

Macs II
02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I'd rather see $31.000 given to the soup kitchen or homeless center than wasted on that piece of junk.

Andre
02-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Ultra54
I assume you meant Lazyperson chair

Striker
02-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd rather see $31.000 given to the soup kitchen or homeless center than wasted on that piece of junk.

Maybe even the Human Society....eh

tasma
02-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Macs would love to save all the doggies and kitties at the Humane Society, what a great idea! Why cant they put a disclaimer on it play at own risk, watch children while they play on this non play equipment and be done with it. Have some student wanting volunteer hours standing beside it getting parents to sign disclaimers for letting their kids play on it. I played on that train when I was a kid and it was great fun climing and sitting up as high as I dared and if I fell it was my fault not the cities for not posting " KIDS DON'T PLAY"!

Macs II
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
$31.000 would buy lots of bullets......doggie problem solved

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/Macs20006/animal-smiley-037.gif http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/Macs20006/750_shooting_rampage.gif

Giggle Squirt
02-10-2009, 10:49 PM
They don't have the money to keep queen street cleared for pedestrians and such yet they have money to keep a peice of crap in a fence so people can go look at it? Stupid in my opinion. MOVE ON PEOPLE... LET GO... How can we move forward if we are constantly trying to hold onto the past?

dancingqueen
02-11-2009, 01:51 AM
This city is full of people that want to keep the city in the dark ages... walking down Queen Street you feel like you fell in the 1900s
remember the issue with the old crappy street beside the hockey arena?

tasma
02-11-2009, 08:15 AM
Some people actually like it seeing the old style buildings and it saves money. I love the architecture from 100 years ago, you want people to remember what the buildings and how people lived. And the train is a part of that, its a rememberance of days gone by and how it was a part of a generation.

EyelashExtensions
02-11-2009, 08:40 AM
If you look at bigger cities that have moved forward, they try to preserve the little things. If it was a train they would find a place for it. Get rid of those wooden bears on the water, instead! I'm tired of seeing x-rated pics of people with them on facebook! lol

NewCasa
02-11-2009, 09:18 AM
If you look at bigger cities that have moved forward, they try to preserve the little things. If it was a train they would find a place for it. Get rid of those wooden bears on the water, instead! I'm tired of seeing x-rated pics of people with them on facebook! lol

Got addresses for those? :rolleyesm:

Ultra54
02-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Some people actually like it seeing the old style buildings and it saves money. I love the architecture from 100 years ago, you want people to remember what the buildings and how people lived. And the train is a part of that, its a rememberance of days gone by and how it was a part of a generation.

:thumbs_up::thumbs_up: