PDA

View Full Version : looking for a car

eagles
02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
i am looking to buy another car and since i had such bad luck with my other one i am looking for opions. anybody know about neons. i am looking at one with 260,000kms it is a 2000 model. any info from people who know about these cars would br great

fenderbass
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
260 000KMS. I'd stay away.

cutie22
02-10-2009, 12:55 PM
When are you planning on getting the car? We own a neon and my bf knows a ton about them. We have had ours for 10 yrs now. The white ones seem to peel the paint in pretty much all the same spots but that is also a 97. When he is home (should be tonight) I can get him to hop on and give u a bunch of info.

eagles
02-10-2009, 01:06 PM
that would be great. i bought a sunfire less then one year ago and have blown 2 motors as well as had to replace almost everything else. i am not that hard on cars but i want to make sure when i get my next car i will have it for more then 1 year. the car i am looking at does have 260,000 but mostly highway.

General Lee
02-10-2009, 01:29 PM
if they are highway miles i would not worrie about it my intrepid had 216k on it and it runs fine

cutie22
02-10-2009, 01:53 PM
that would be great. i bought a sunfire less then one year ago and have blown 2 motors as well as had to replace almost everything else. i am not that hard on cars but i want to make sure when i get my next car i will have it for more then 1 year. the car i am looking at does have 260,000 but mostly highway.

I just spoke to my bf and he will be in late tonight so i will make sure that he comes on and gives u advice on it. As for me, I just drive our neon lol.

Andre
02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
it depends on how much you want to spend?

eagles
02-10-2009, 02:51 PM
about $600 to $700 it does need alittle work but not to much

Andre
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
If you are buying a car for 6-700 bucks. The person you are buying it from better love you like a son, because other wise it will be a piece of crap, or need more than "alittle work"

The Piper
02-10-2009, 03:33 PM
if they are highway miles i would not worrie about it my intrepid had 216k on it and it runs fine

That's just about the most asinine advice I've seen from you yet. Because an Intrepid (with an entirely different series of motor) goes 216K a Neon with 260K is good to go???? Give it a shake and get the marbles moving man...

MiKeY2
02-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I have to agree with piper and andre. a 2000 for $700. unlikely to have little wrong with it.

General Lee
02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
That's just about the most asinine advice I've seen from you yet. Because an Intrepid (with an entirely different series of motor) goes 216K a Neon with 260K is good to go???? Give it a shake and get the marbles moving man...

lmao i have seen neon's with well over 300k on them

It's all in how you mantain your car if you use common sense they will last and it helps if you can mantain them on your own

eagles
02-10-2009, 05:33 PM
i maintained my last car very well. oil changes before they were due synthic oil and always checked the fluids keep the right psi in the tires and still had 2 motors go in 1 year. and before anyone says anything i did not race the car either i also did not drive it like a 90 year old either

Anapeg
02-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Don't spend a cent without taking it to your own mechanic for an honest appraisal. It will be the best sixty bucks you've ever spent and will save you untold hundreds down the road, hopefully.

Timbit
02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
260k kms???? you'd be lucky if that neon still has a head gasket left.....honestly, they are cheap throw away cars for a reason.....

General Lee
02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
260k kms???? you'd be lucky if that neon still has a head gasket left.....honestly, they are cheap throw away cars for a reason.....

1995 was the worst year for the head gaskets but like stated above i would take it to a trustworthy mech... if there are any in the sault i personaly do not know of any i do most my work myself

Giggle Squirt
02-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Back away and run. You would not believe how many neons come though with head gaskets. I would personally rather drive a civic then a neon. They are almost as bad as the yugo in my opinion..

Giggle Squirt
02-11-2009, 12:06 AM

Personally i don't get this theory that highway miles are better then city miles... THe engine has still turned for 216k and the transmission has still turned for 216 k and the gears and pullys have turned for 216 k. Now how that makes it better is beyond me??? Ya maybe highway is better on the brake components and such but travelling at the same rate of speed for a long period of time is still bad for the vehicle. When i buy a new to me vehicle the things i also include in the price of the car is a complete fluid flush (rad, diff (if applicable) transmission brake fluid oil) I change all the belts like timming belts, ac belt altinator belt. And also do an alignment. Their is nothing like owning a vehivle for 3 months and then blowing a timming belt on a zero clearance engine because you didn't take any preventative action. I also do plugs and wires. Cap rotor if applicable.

Back to the highway thing. 90 percent of the time you dont' konw the previous owners driving habbits. Sure he can say it is 216 km highway.. but he is not going to tell you he hotrodded it down the highway.

DodgeBoy
02-11-2009, 01:42 AM
ok, so I am Cuties BF and the neon guy, ours has WAY more miles that yours does first off, and to be honest, I cannot kill the damn thing. I am not all that familiar with the newer neons, but the head gasket issues were only on newer models that they were a big problem. If the body is good, I say go for it. When it first starts cold, check and see if there is a lot of blue smoke coming from the exhaust, if there is that could indicate worn piston rings, or even worn valve seals. Happy Motoring :P

hp2
02-11-2009, 05:26 AM
My husband and I were looking at this car yesterday Just on the add.. IT looks to be in great shape...

http://www.usedsoo.com/classified-ad/8204063
260k is what turned us away...

anyone I have ever heard of having one loves them and they are die hards..

But my question would be how hard were them 260kms driven..

were you looking a few days ago there was a red one for a steal of a deal 500 same yr less KM's tinted windows, remote start etc. power windows doors etc.

body wise its worth the money to look at the pic... But then on the other hand are you going to have to throw a motor in it anytime soon?

eagles
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
i am tired of walking everywhere and this is all i can afford right now. i know it is hard to find a decent vehicle for $700 and that does not need to much normal work done to it.i cant see the neon being any worse then a sunfire is.

Barry Morris
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Personally i don't get this theory that highway miles are better then city miles... THe engine has still turned for 216k and the transmission has still turned for 216 k and the gears and pullys have turned for 216 k. Now how that makes it better is beyond me??? Ya maybe highway is better on the brake components and such but travelling at the same rate of speed for a long period of time is still bad for the vehicle. When i buy a new to me vehicle the things i also include in the price of the car is a complete fluid flush (rad, diff (if applicable) transmission brake fluid oil) I change all the belts like timming belts, ac belt altinator belt. And also do an alignment. Their is nothing like owning a vehivle for 3 months and then blowing a timming belt on a zero clearance engine because you didn't take any preventative action. I also do plugs and wires. Cap rotor if applicable.

Back to the highway thing. 90 percent of the time you dont' konw the previous owners driving habbits. Sure he can say it is 216 km highway.. but he is not going to tell you he hotrodded it down the highway.

Even if the driver had a heavy foot, he can't drive that way all the time.
Highway miles are better because the engine gets up to the correct operating temperature. Most engine wear occurs at starup, and a highway car has way less of that wear. It takes about 20 minutes at highway speed for ALL components and oil to get up to the temp wear components will last the longest. So ask yourself how often a city driven car gets up to temp.

I have an interesting example of this principle out in the yard. The old Farmall tractors used thermo-syphon cooling systems. The water doesn't even circulate until it gets up to proper temperature. No water pump, no thermostat. And very, very little engine wear.

Barry Morris
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
i am tired of walking everywhere and this is all i can afford right now. i know it is hard to find a decent vehicle for $700 and that does not need to much normal work done to it.i cant see the neon being any worse then a sunfire is.

I did a little survey here a while back.

19 people responded to a question re costs of running a veheicle. Average cost per month was $750!!!! Even my own costs, doing my own repairs on a 25 year old truck, no payments, were $400 to $450 a month.

You could take a lot of cabs for that kind of money, with no worries. And a limo on the weekends!!!

hp2
02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I dont know how the hell you come up with that cost barry..

My truck cost me 40 dollars max to fill every two weeks.. very rarely do I do a 3rd fill up... I have a dakota quad(clubcab) with a 4.7L v8 and we have a chevy tracker the hubby uses back and forth to work.. HE works by where you live....

his truck cost him 32 every two weeks PREMIUM gas.. and drives 5 days a week back and forth..

I drive the truck and cart the kids back and forth to school everyday. Sometimes more ontop of where I go during the week..

SO My truck is 80 a month to have gas his is 64.. and our insurance a month mine is full coverage.. His is plpd cause its older for both is 154.00 for the two.

so we have 154.00 plus 80 plus 64. Oh and this month Ill throw in the resistor that went in my heater yesterday for 18 dollars.

is 314.00 for the month two vehicles. HE does all his own work aswell...and touch wood we have not had any major problems. but if we do. then sure that would be factored in. BUT 314.00 a month for two vehicles is a far cry.. on and the 60 to get the oil changed in my truck every three months.. SO ill say 334 for this month cause ill divide 60 by 3.. and his tracker is like 35 dollars for oil change cause we do it ourselves.

Far cry of 750 dollars.. Naturally if you pay for a vehicle.. leasing or just purchased a new one.. then sure... 750 seems natural.. BUT TO ME IF YOU are going to drive a new vehicle then dont wine and cry about that price.... that was your choice.......

as you said you drive a vehicle thats 25yrs old and the cost per month for you is 450 I still dont see where it can cost that much I just did a full break down on our two vehicles and its still dont come close to your 450 and ours is two vehicles.

ones a 01 and the other is a 94.

Peety
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Where do you go for Insurance?
Mine is way too much,,

hp2
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I Deal with Beth or Sheri at P&M I shop around every yr if they do not drop it to make sure i am getting the best price.. its through wawanesa.. and before anyone says its cause its not bad with no convictions YOUR wrong...

Ill put it this way when I went to get insurance for the first time on my own 4 yrs ago.. They ran my licences and my husbands his was 10 pages+ for accidents,(none his fault) and speeding tickets and one red light... I had one accident where me and the other driver were both at fault... Now neither me or him have any charges for any accidents.
( we are both under 34)
wawanesa is by far the cheapest I have found and as for paying out.. THEY are great to deal with also. works out my truck is 101 and some change a month and his is 52 and some change a month.

Giggle Squirt
02-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't know how you have less wear on highway. Have you driven our highways around here? It is constant slow down speed up slow down speed up. Same as city. And Like i was told before, if you looking down south for a vehicle and they say highway kms it is just useless. Have you ever driven on the 401? it is exactly like the city stop go stop go so to me highway km are the same as city km.s personally i would take a city driven vehivle with higher kms over a highway driven vehicle with lower kms with no maitnamce records. ANd it is not just the cost of the car your loking at either.. you have gotta get it saftied. And if your gonna tell me that a 1995 neon will need nothing to safety with 260 k on it then i am gonna laugh. My monthly vehivle costs are 200 for insurance 80 every other week for gas (to and from work and such) and last month i needed a new battery which was 180$

eagles
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
it is a 2000 not a 95 i know it does need a little work to get a saftey done on it. my last car was a 96 sunfire and the only thing that i had to do to get it on the road was control arm bushings. with highway miles you are not stop and go like in the city. the stop and go does wear down an engine more then just running on the highway. my sunfire only had 117000 km when i got it. it was taken good care of. it was also driven in the city and the motor went on it. the second motor that went into it had 130000 km on it and it went as well. i have also had cars that went 200000 miles driven both city and highway.but mostly highway.

Timbit
02-12-2009, 12:11 AM
*sigh*..... it's a neon...be lucky it still runs after that many miles, but on a serious note, hwy driving is NOT always better...what everyone says is true, all components are still turning and moving while driving that 100+ kms (cause we know no one drives the limit) so yeah, your engine won't need half the work, or have as much wear, but all other components will be worn out! They are turning faster doing hwy driving then city.....your alternator, your wheel bearings, your water pump, you pulleys, just like the last person said....I would take city cars over hwy cars just for that reason......

you can say your last car only needed bushings for a safety, but that doesn't mean that engine won't blow up in a week...on a sunfire, your lucky if an engine lasts 200k on one, the intake gaskets leak, and becuase there is coolant running in them, it leaks into your engine, your combustion chamber, your crankcase, eats your bearings, and voila, you need an engine! Everyone is ALWAYS looking for engines for sunfires and cavaliers....stay away from those, and anyone that has one, check that if you haven't already!

260 kms on a neon, is like holding a match while gassing up your car...you take a chance you won't blow up, but just that slight mistake, and your toast.....take people's advice, stay away from it.......

PS, I just re-read your post and noticed you said your engine went on your sunfire....how coincidental....lol

Timbit
02-12-2009, 12:25 AM

http://www.sootoday.com/content/classifieds/details.asp?ad=552506
check for subframe being rotten, other then that, decent car depending on mileage

http://www.sootoday.com/content/classifieds/details.asp?ad=552476
could be decent, might be rotten in some spots for that price...also if it is a supercoupe, (sounds like it) that is a rare and fast car!

http://www.sootoday.com/content/classifieds/details.asp?ad=552267
could be a good deal if that is all it needs, and isn't rotten, and has been maintained right...

http://www.usedsoo.com/classified-ad/7526131
looks good, and could be pretty comfortable

http://www.usedsoo.com/classified-ad/5850886
another good deal possibly

there are cars out there that are going to be better then a neon with a pile of miles.....I can't believe the sunfires and cavaliers though I saw for sale!!!! holy %^&*

BTW I know someone with a sonata for sale, great car, needs all new brake lines, could probably get it reeeeeal cheap too :) haha

eagles
02-12-2009, 12:46 AM
what year is the sonata whom might have it and how much

Timbit
02-12-2009, 01:20 AM
giggle squirt.....talk to her

eagles
02-13-2009, 03:27 PM
who has the sonata pm me with the info please

General Lee
02-13-2009, 06:27 PM
do your self a favor look out of town better deals pick up a bargin hunter not the one from the sault but the one that goes all the way up to north bay i buy it at the canadian tire gas bar all the time there are some sweet deals in there

General Lee
02-13-2009, 06:28 PM
http://www.bargainhuntermagazine.ca/index.php

windygates
02-13-2009, 11:15 PM
giggle squirt has a SABOOBAROO LMAO

eagles
02-14-2009, 12:19 PM
how is a gm with a 3.1 liter motor with 198,000 km

fenderbass
02-14-2009, 12:48 PM
how is a gm with a 3.1 liter motor with 198,000 km..
3.1 liter was a good motor in its time, But they had trouble with timing chains. What model of car?

General Lee
02-14-2009, 02:50 PM
how about a subaru legacy is a 92 with only 56,000 km on it?

eagles
02-14-2009, 03:06 PM
94 grand am

General Lee
02-14-2009, 03:25 PM
a grand am one car i will never even look at owned one nothing but issues

eagles
02-14-2009, 04:14 PM
who has the legacy, is it for sale and how much

Timbit
02-15-2009, 12:41 AM
General, Everyone that has owned one of the many manufacturers of cars, have had problems with one thing or another....GM has gakset issues, and that causes engine problems, ford has rust and the vehicles fall apart easy if not maintained, Dodge has tranny and driveline issues.....like really, its all about how much you wanna research, educate and make yourself familiar with the car you buy. If you buy a certain brand, find out its reliability and issues, take the preventitive maintenance to curb those issues, and also know that when looking at that certain car, ask questions that are relevant to the upkeep, not like have the tires been changed, or the spark plugs gapped...but ones that will pertain to that specific car lasting long enough that is makes it worthwhile....that neon you were looking at eagles, may last forever if the proper stuff has been done to it.....I wouldn't bet on it though, cause most won't take care of the cars...ask for history and work done

I will always research BEFORE I buy....and make sure the things needed to make it last are done, or get done....that's where the asking price and work needed come into play.....take your time, but if your in a hurry, learn as much as possible as fast as possible..and apply it :)

Giggle Squirt
02-15-2009, 01:28 AM
I knew when i got my subaru that if i needed anything for it chances are that i would need to get it from sudbury. Well it so happened that i needed a part that none of the part stores had in this city so i had to call the dealership in suds order the part have it delivered here... And naturally that takes time. Also if you are ever looking into a mercedies benz, make sure you buy the extra fluids that are needed for it. Ex.. you buy a liter of their special power steering fluid because if anything ever happened and you needed the fluid you need to have their special fluid in theri because normal synthetic or semi synthetic fluid is different from the MB formula. And it voids the warranty if you put it in. Also it is 15.90 for half a liter. and naturally it neeeds to come from sudbury. Also ford transmissions need to have special tranny fluid in them. also dealership only.

General Lee
02-15-2009, 09:34 AM
i do my research before i buy all the time my intrpid 3.3 l no motor issues at all my 2000 s10 solid truck

General Lee
02-15-2009, 03:47 PM
We have a 1991 Ford Explorer 4x4 for sale
it is also an automatic
new breakline, wipers
new battery

doesn't need much to certify

asking $500 as is

can be seen at 48 Cameron Ave
call 253-5098

THIS WAS IN THE AUTO SECTION FOR SALE WORTH A LOOK

Timbit
02-16-2009, 12:37 AM
make sure around the gas tank of that explorer has no bubbles in the paint, or ANYTHING wrong with that area....also check the rocker panels VERY carefully, they hide rotten metal and will NOT pass safety till patched up. Make sure the intake gaskets have been changed already, as they fail prematurely and will cause coolant leaks or no heat, and as for the transmission on them, if nothing has ever really been done to it i.e. regular maitenance, flushes at proper intervals then steer clear, it will fail very soon!

explorers before 99 were pretty rough when it came to maitenance and upkeep. You will spend a small fortune doing that to it, not mention the fortune filling it up also :|

P.S. General, you got a solid engine in that intrepid for sure.....make sure the tranny is just as bullet proof, cause there is your weak link :)

MiKeY2
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
as for that 3.1 grand am, i wouldnt bother with it as i think its the same one i went to look at., needs fog lights, 4 tires, wipers, and looks like a blown head gasket. just by looking at it, i didnt hear it run or nothing as i didnt want to waste my time.

eagles
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
that is the one and i did decied against it

MaO3
02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks to whoever posted about Bargin Hunter mag. I'm lookin for something else again and always wondered why the dealers in Sudbury didn't advertise somewhere online.

:)

eagles
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
some very nice cars in there but 95% are out of my price range

General Lee
02-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks to whoever posted about Bargin Hunter mag. I'm lookin for something else again and always wondered why the dealers in Sudbury didn't advertise somewhere online.

:)

np Ma u can pick the mag up @ canadian tire gas bar i get mine there weekly

General Lee
02-18-2009, 02:21 PM
some very nice cars in there but 95% are out of my price range

u haqve to buy the mag them are only dealers

MaO3
02-18-2009, 05:50 PM
I need a new second vehicle, since my youngest wrote my jeep off last week. :(

I'll check into the mag this week.

General Lee
02-18-2009, 08:08 PM