PDA

View Full Version : Just a dumb question,

Anapeg
02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
do you think cooking is an art or science?

someguy
02-10-2009, 06:26 PM
I think it is a bit of both!

Brookelynn
02-10-2009, 06:27 PM
I agree!

mags
02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Baking uses chemistry, science.
In some hands cooking is an art form.
Sometimes it is wrong!!
Cooking should always be fun!!!!

Asparas
02-10-2009, 08:11 PM
It's definitely a bit of both. With science you get your food cooked/baked properly. With art you get into things like plating to please your visual appetite.

tasma
02-10-2009, 10:45 PM
I would say science is more of a percentage than art. Art is only visual which is only a slight part of the science it takes to make a great meal. If I through together a meal without a recipe or thinking about what I want it would not only be unappetizing but look bad. But if I followed some sort of guideline or knowing what I want it would be the opposite. I realize that its first impressions that mean the most when looking at a meal but if it looks great but tastes like sh*t what is the use!

Anapeg
02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
I think the preparation is all science. With measured amounts and actual chemical reactions taking place. The art comes into play in the way you display or offer your finished product.
You have to enjoy your time in the kitchen or your food tends to become predictable and pedestrian. I love to cook but I require a small army to clean up behind me. Typical male, I know.
Are very many of you adventuress enough to simply start throwing stuff together, like making it up as you go? I've had some miserable failures but a couple of real keepers.

EyelashExtensions
02-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Ever watch the food challenge on the food network? It is both science and art. In that case it is more art than science to me. Some of the sugar blowing and cake designing is amazing!

NewCasa
02-11-2009, 09:22 AM
I think the preparation is all science. With measured amounts and actual chemical reactions taking place. The art comes into play in the way you display or offer your finished product.
You have to enjoy your time in the kitchen or your food tends to become predictable and pedestrian. I love to cook but I require a small army to clean up behind me. Typical male, I know.
Are very many of you adventuress enough to simply start throwing stuff together, like making it up as you go? I've had some miserable failures but a couple of real keepers.

If you'd ever seen me making jambalaya you'd know that my cooking is not science at all! Never made a batch that wasn't enjoyed by all, but no two batches are the same. Presentation? Hmmmm...... :)

Bufford
02-11-2009, 01:52 PM
As a retired qualified chef who worked up from a greasy spoon to executive chef at large hotels and ended a 30-year career teaching the culinary arts, let me assure you that knowledge of both arts and science are required to make a great Chef, one with out the other is just a cook who has to follow a recipe- a recipe that was created by someone who has an understanding of both science and art.

Anapeg
02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
If you'd ever seen me making jambalaya you'd know that my cooking is not science at all! Never made a batch that wasn't enjoyed by all, but no two batches are the same. Presentation? Hmmmm...... :)

A very good friend is an aficionado of jambalaya. He makes his with anything in the fridge, especially sea food. He spices his unmercifully though.

Anapeg
02-11-2009, 06:11 PM
As a retired qualified chef who worked up from a greasy spoon to executive chef at large hotels and ended a 30-year career teaching the culinary arts, let me assure you that knowledge of both arts and science are required to make a great Chef, one with out the other is just a cook who has to follow a recipe- a recipe that was created by someone who has an understanding of both science and art.

A good chef is unhampered and unhindered by a recipe. A recipe should be used as a map with many ways of going from point A to point B. Do you agree though that food is more than flavours? The colour, shape, texture etc. are almost as important as taste, no?

Anapeg
02-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Baking uses chemistry, science.
In some hands cooking is an art form.
Sometimes it is wrong!!
Cooking should always be fun!!!!

But the cook/chef should enjoy every bit as much as the guest, don't you agree?

Anapeg
02-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Ever watch the food challenge on the food network? It is both science and art. In that case it is more art than science to me. Some of the sugar blowing and cake designing is amazing!

No, I've never come across this one although I will watch for it thanks. Sugar blowing? Like glass, I assume?

I believe the preparation is all science while the offering, the complete meal is art.

Anapeg
02-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I would say science is more of a percentage than art. Art is only visual which is only a slight part of the science it takes to make a great meal. If I through together a meal without a recipe or thinking about what I want it would not only be unappetizing but look bad. But if I followed some sort of guideline or knowing what I want it would be the opposite. I realize that its first impressions that mean the most when looking at a meal but if it looks great but tastes like sh*t what is the use!

Have you ever tried preparing and serving a meal, strange to you, without a picture to guide you. Damn near impossible, that.

mags
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
But the cook/chef should enjoy every bit as much as the guest, don't you agree?

never would say the chef/cook should not enjoy it as much as the guest.
in a private where would the fun be!
it is a hellish job if the chef doesn't enjoy the job.

mags
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Served many a meal or dessert sight unseen, tasted or tested for family and friends.

Anapeg
02-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Really? I do prefer knowing what my presentation is supposed to be as I find that sets parameters regarding ingredients that I might like to substitute.

MissMuffett
02-11-2009, 11:10 PM
do you think cooking is an art or science?

i hardly passed science.. so id say it is an art :P.. some things that turn out crappy some people actually like :P hahaha..

mags
02-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Really? I do prefer knowing what my presentation is supposed to be as I find that sets parameters regarding ingredients that I might like to substitute.

Yes!!! sometimes i live dangerously and just go with a concept. always is a great success when done for big dinners or guests.

Anapeg
02-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Absolutely agreed. If it is your own creation, for you have a vision of what you expect, but with a recipe as a guide, I prefer some direction. The end product, that which you place on the table is, to a large part presentation. What it looks like has a lot to do with who, and how many will try a new plate. Also the name of some concoctions can be off putting, as with gazpacho.

mags
02-12-2009, 08:54 AM
It is not always my own creation. Have done dishes that I have only heard about or been described. Knowing the ingredients is where i start. Sometimes it fails but live and learn.

Tutones
02-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Art is more than just visual. Flavours and smells can also be considered part of the 'art' of cooking.