PDA

View Full Version : Will MS ever learn?

Chako
02-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Wow, I was seriously hoping that MS would have dropped their multi-tiered approach to windows 7. I had always thought that the confusion and excessive complicatedness for the general public, helped greatly in dissatisfaction of Vista.

Well, looks like they figured otherwise. Probably I just assumed that because it irked me greatly, it was a bigger factor then it may have been. I mean, XP came in two versions. Why have 6 versions running around out there?

http://sify.com/finance/fullstory.php?id=14850684

Hans
02-11-2009, 07:02 AM
It would be nice if they would sell a license good for 1 install of each version.

Chako
02-11-2009, 07:16 AM
I agree Hans.

I think it would be far nicer to just cut all the versions and offer less versions but with more functionality. Why make it excessively complicated?

Well everyone knows why they do it. So that you’re forced to go up the upgrade path if you don't know which version you need or want...and I can be fair in saying that demographic is a very large one. More versions only serves to confuse people. I saw this extensively with Vista from overhearing people who were trying to buy their OS in the local computer stores at the time. It was a joke really. With XP, you had the Home and the Pro version. People knew right off that the home offered them most of what the Pro did minus all the networking stuff that most home users would never want or use.

With a multi tiered OS that is designed to overcharge people or give them an "upgrade option", MS looks like a greedy corporation that hasn't learned its lesson with Vista. Well at least to me. I just don't get it. Do you see such stupidity with Macs? Their OS is full featured and rather cheap compared to the Ultimate version of the current Vista.

Oh well, I just found this article because I was surprised at this news. I just thought that MS wouldn't do that blunder again. Guess I was wrong. This article gives a nice insight into how MS thinks on this regard.

http://www.onwindows.com/Articles/Clear-choice-for-Windows-7-customers/3458/Default.aspx

V Code
02-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. People who want a cheap of goto future shop and get home premium. Everyone else just downloads a copy and bypasses activation.

The are really only two choices not 6 :)

Upper Decker
02-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. People who want a cheap of goto future shop and get home premium. Everyone else just downloads a copy and bypasses activation.

The are really only two choices not 6 :)

You nailed that right on the head. Well said.

NewCasa
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
It would be nice if they would sell a license good for 1 install of each version.

I want my license of DOS 6.2 to allow me to just keep upgrading for free. Why should I keep having to pay for operating system upgrades just cause Bill says so?

Hans
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Upgrades is a different thing then different versions of the same OS. Each version of Vista has an identical core. Only difference is the added options under the form of programs and tools.
I don't see why a license for Home Premium could not be used for an Ultimate version. The DVD comes with all versions, it should be up to the user to determine what version they wish to use the with the license.

V Code
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
or better yet, make the license for vista $50 with say $5 increments for each upgrade. then there would be no excuse for pirating as anyone could really afford a copy. Gates would make way more money than he is now!

\m/ Rich \m/
02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
A couple of the posts in this thread got me thinking... what about one version that comes with all the features, but you only get to select say 20 out of 30 "extended features", then if you want too add another 5 or the complete 10, it would be an extra cost..

filthy
02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I totally agree only 2 versions are needed.

One with some and one with all features.

And yes if the price was right, I find most people would buy legit.

The same issue with games, music ect ect...

A music CD should not be $30

A video game should not be $70

And an OS should not be upwards of $200

Just my opinion