PDA

View Full Version : ? About fever in 2 year old

Jst4u
02-16-2009, 10:04 AM
My daughter (21 months) started with a reddish pink blotch on the outside white part of her right eye Wednesday. Thursday evening, she got a fever, runny nose, etc. Friday, I took her to the day clinic at the GHC (mostly because I was concerned about her eye) and the Dr. gave me eye drops for her and said to give her Tylenol for the fever (which I have been doing)

It's now Monday. Her eye is better, but her fever is still bad and Tylenol doesn't seem to be making a huge difference anymore. She is pretty much sleeping all the time. I know fevers happen, but how long before I should bring her back?

She's drinking fine, but isn't eating much...I just hate seeing her so uncomfortable for so long :(

Lollypop
02-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Along with the tylenol try putting some cool cloths on her hot spots, if she will let you. Across her forehead, under her arm pits.
As far as not eating, see if she will eat jello, my grand daughter is the same age and when she was sick she could keep the jello down and then the mr noodle soups.

Jst4u
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
I've tried the jello thing. She had one spoonful and said "NO!" lol She hasn't thrown anything up at all...she just turns her head away at anything offered. She had about a quarter of a can of alphagettis and a few pretzels in the last few days...and a couple chicken nuggets.

yoda
02-16-2009, 10:51 AM
If she is still fevered after four days, I would bring her back down to the walk in, she may have a systemic infection rather than just the eye area

Jst4u
02-16-2009, 11:02 AM
That crossed my mind, Yoda. She had a pretty bad UTI at 8 weeks old and spent a week in NICU. But it was almost the same...fever, sleeping all the time, awake but not really awake, and very achy.

The day clinic at the GHC is closed today and I really, really, really don't want to sit at the hospital all day with a sick baby :( I don't know what I should do...

KelBear
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I have been to the emerg with my daughter a few times in the past year.. and each time they tell me that I am not giving her enough tylenol to get rid of her fever. They say that according to their charts that I should be giving her double the dose on the tylenol bottle.... they did it right in front of me and her fever was gone in less then 20min... don't quote me on this... check it out for yourself before doing it...

kitty&mimi
02-16-2009, 01:04 PM
i found advil is better, i dont know...everyone is different though
u can get the one that lasts 8hrs

Sophie's_Mommy
02-16-2009, 01:18 PM
they say in your case that if she is not eating that much, buy her some pediasure, if she is drinking then she ll drink this and she ll get all the nutrition she needs. that way she is not losing out on her vitamins and everything else that goes along with eating..

Sophie's_Mommy
02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
That crossed my mind, Yoda. She had a pretty bad UTI at 8 weeks old and spent a week in NICU. But it was almost the same...fever, sleeping all the time, awake but not really awake, and very achy.

The day clinic at the GHC is closed today and I really, really, really don't want to sit at the hospital all day with a sick baby :( I don't know what I should do...

My daughter when she was 10 weeks old had a uti as well and we spent a week on the 3rd floor in pediatrics with her not right int he nicu, she was really sick, and it does not sound like a uti that your daughter has again. she would be in alot of pain if that was the case..

Carolyn
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
You can also give Motrin and Tylenol at the same time. I was told this when I brought my son into Emerg and he had a 104 fever for 4 days. But also the amount on the Tylenol bottles is way under dosing, the doctors had told me that you should go by weight when I can.

Tutones
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Call the telehealth line. They will ask her weight and tell you exactly how much to give based on the weight. They will also ask you some questions to help you determine whether you should take her to the hospital or if it is safe to wait to see your doctor tomorrow.

Jst4u
02-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Well, I just got back from emerg. Spent 6ish hours there. They sent us down to the walk-in where we sat for over an hour then rushed us back up to emerg because her temp was 40C.

After xrays, blood work and a whole lot of crying/passing out they found out she has pneumonia. She got a prescription for antibiotics and I was told to alternate between Tylenol and Advil every 3 hours to keep her temperature down.

Jst4u
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Oh...and the staff at the walk in and emerg were AMAZING! It made it so much easier...

mags
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
how is your daughter today?

Jst4u
02-17-2009, 09:45 AM
She's up and more active. She ate half a waffle this morning, which is more than she's eaten in about 3 days. I'm going to get her prescription and some Advil today, along with some Pediasure to try...she's picky about her drinks. Her cough is horrible today, though, and her nose is really runny.

Sophie's_Mommy
02-17-2009, 10:00 AM
my daughter has a cold right now , it started saturday, she has a runny nose and a bad cough. She ll cough so much she ll puke, but she still eats her food, and drinks her formula, not as much as usual but enough to be ok, if its not gone by tomorrow i think im going to bring her in to the hospital. I can hear the snot in her nose and i just wish she knew how to blow it..her temp is fine though...god i hope she does not have pneumonia, did your daughters start off as a regular cold? Mine has had a cold like this before and it lasted 3 to 4 days. the reason i think its just a cold is cause she has no high temp....i wish they made infant cough syrup so it would relieve her a bit..

BrAt
02-17-2009, 10:15 AM
How old is she? Tylenol makes an Infants' Cold (Plus Cough) medication. It's for children 6 months+.

Here is the dosing chart according to weight.

Under six months Consult physician
6-11 months (12-17 lbs) 0.8 ml every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
12-23 months (18-23 lbs) 1.2 ml (0.8 + 0.4ml) every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
2-3 years (24-35 lbs) 1.6 ml (0.8 + 0.8ml) every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
>35 pounds Use Children's liquid

Oh, and Jst4u... glad to hear your little one is feeling a bit better. :)

Jst4u
02-17-2009, 10:16 AM
They say childrens cough syrup isn't good. I've been recommended not to give her ANY.

She had a bit of a runny nose since Tuesday, a high temperature Thursday evening and the cough started Friday. Her red eye and her high temperature are the reason I brought her to the Dr. on Friday.

If your daughter just has a runny nose, I wouldn't worry about it. The cough would be from the snot tickling her throat and I know from experience...if you cough hard enough for long enough, you will puke. Unless she gets a temperature, don't bring her to the hospital. I sat there for for hours yesterday because people were clogging it up with headaches, sore throats and ridiculous nonsense that they can easily care for at home.

Jst4u
02-17-2009, 10:28 AM
I would be careful about cough medications. My daughter has never had any. I didn't want to take a chance. If it's just a runny nose, wiping it or using a saline solution works. If there's a fever or pain, use Tylenol.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1328358/the_dangers_of_cough_syrup_for_children.html

Babzz
02-17-2009, 10:39 AM
make sure she is peeing.. You really have to watch for dehydration
My boy had pneumonia when that age and I know how scary it is ..
pedialite or gator aid and keep a close eye on how high the fever goes :(

Sophie's_Mommy
02-17-2009, 10:42 AM
How old is she? Tylenol makes an Infants' Cold (Plus Cough) medication. It's for children 6 months+.

Here is the dosing chart according to weight.

Under six months Consult physician
6-11 months (12-17 lbs) 0.8 ml every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
12-23 months (18-23 lbs) 1.2 ml (0.8 + 0.4ml) every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
2-3 years (24-35 lbs) 1.6 ml (0.8 + 0.8ml) every 4-6 hrs. (max 4 doses/day)
>35 pounds Use Children's liquid

Oh, and Jst4u... glad to hear your little one is feeling a bit better. :)

i was told by my pharmacist just to use a vaporizer not to use any meds. and she is 7 months and weighs 21 pounds..lol..

Sophie's_Mommy
02-17-2009, 10:45 AM
They say childrens cough syrup isn't good. I've been recommended not to give her ANY.

She had a bit of a runny nose since Tuesday, a high temperature Thursday evening and the cough started Friday. Her red eye and her high temperature are the reason I brought her to the Dr. on Friday.

If your daughter just has a runny nose, I wouldn't worry about it. The cough would be from the snot tickling her throat and I know from experience...if you cough hard enough for long enough, you will puke. Unless she gets a temperature, don't bring her to the hospital. I sat there for for hours yesterday because people were clogging it up with headaches, sore throats and ridiculous nonsense that they can easily care for at home.

ya i know , the cough is from her snot dripping down her throat, and coughing so hard makes her puke sometimes, yesterday she projectile puked all over daddy who was at least 2 feet away, it was funny cause she laughed right after doing it..lol, shes had this cold before and i dont think i ll be bringing her to the hospital unless she ends up with a high high fever that won't go away after giving her Tylenol.
i just asked cause alot of people keep saying to get her checked cause their babys were like that and they ended up really really sick and not eating or drinking, she eats fine she usually drinks 24 -28 ozs a day and the past few days shes been drinking 12 ozs at the most..she is peeing a pooping ok, so i think its just a little cold and it will pass like before..her cough sound horrible and you can hear the congestion in her chest,,

Sophie's_Mommy
02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
I would be careful about cough medications. My daughter has never had any. I didn't want to take a chance. If it's just a runny nose, wiping it or using a saline solution works. If there's a fever or pain, use Tylenol.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1328358/the_dangers_of_cough_syrup_for_children.html

i knwo what you mean, i read all the sites and stuff and it makes me paranoid to give her anything, i did not even want to give her tylenol after she was int the hospital with a uti...

Jst4u
02-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Oh wow. My daughter is a munchkin...21 months and 24 pounds with the appetite of a sumo wrestler lol (usually)

Babz, she is drinking a lot. The Dr's yesterday were surprised that she wasn't the least bit dehydrated. She really does seem to be in a completely different mood today. You can tell she's sick still, but she was lethargic yesterday and couldn't keep her eyes open. Kind of like she was drifting in and out of consciousness.

BrAt
02-17-2009, 11:11 AM
I did not know that about Infants' Tylenol Cold (or any infant cough medication for that matter). Good thing my kids never needed it that young.

I wonder how they can be permitted to make it and sell it if the complications are that serious. Hm.

Anyhow... hope your kiddies get better soon!! :)