PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War II Rant.

Chako
02-19-2009, 07:21 PM
I have been waiting for this title for a while now, having enjoyed the Dawn of War series tremendously. I even read the review in PC Gamer a few weeks ago, and thinking the darn game was out, tried a few places and told it wasn't out until today, the 19th.

Well today rolles around, and i get a copy from EB games. I get home thinking that I will be having fun in no time. Well, shock and amazement, the darn thing uses STEAM as a DRM. Bloody hell, I hate DRMs with a passion. Had I known this, I would have not bought it. I missed the little steam works title on the overly busy and poorly written back of the game. Well ok, I figure I have a few games on steam already, and it should work. Well, here is the freaking kicker. It tells me that I have a 3 hour download before I can even play the freaking thing. What the heck. I look at my store bought DVD and ponder why I have to wait bloody 3 hours to download off of steam, when I have the freaking thing in my CD tray!!! Is it possible that the CD is only a dummy with no game on it? If so, it’s a sad day I tell you.

I swear, PC gaming is dying a horrible death, and I can thank every freaking pirate, and thief out there for ruining one of my passionate hobbies. Not to mention stupid developers. No small wonder people are jumping off the PC game ride.

Well, I get to wait a few more hours as steam slowly tortures me with a very slow trickle. Well all I can say is good for Gamestop.

Upper Decker
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
people are pirating games because they dont want to shell out obscene amounts of money for half assed games that are buggy as hell. Or the fact that these games can be beaten by a retarded monkey with a screwdriver in its head in under 20 hours at max difficulty. My copies of farcry 2 and fallout 3 (both i bought and paid for) had to use cracked content from those pirates you scorn so much to run the game for more than 10 min without a crash of some sort.

Chako
02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Really, I have both those games, and didn't require content from hackers to get it running perfectly.

And yes, I detest pirates and thieves.

EDIT: Well I figured I may as well add that I just came from THQs support forum. It seems that the install from the DVD is wacked beyond belief. My experience seems to be the norm.

Upper Decker
02-19-2009, 09:03 PM
both my copies of farcry 2 and fallout 3 were absolutly horrid for crashing on me, especially fallout 3. got to the point where i would be reloading the bloody game every 15 min. updates didnt help any. and that was before i was overclocking any hardware

Ultra54
02-19-2009, 09:24 PM
people are pirating games because they dont want to shell out obscene amounts of money for half assed games that are buggy as hell.
chicken or egg?
Well Chako, perhaps you are jaded in your prediction of the demise of computer gaming. How could you let that deter you to the point of not buying a game you have been waiting for? If you right click on the dvd what does it have on the disc? I like Steam personally and use it for many many games. My Far Cry 2 works without issue.

Chako
02-19-2009, 11:35 PM
There are files on the DVD. I have spent the whole night wrestling this thing into submission, and I am royally pissed off that I haven't been able to play it yet. I have scoured the net, visited the official forums and support sites to no avail. What I have found out is that many people are in the same boat as I am. The game at first will not install from the DVD, but will do so from steam. If you wait till that is done, the game won't work. You can force it to install from the DVD, but it still won't work. There are even snippets that tell people to change their steam language and back again, etc.. Nothing works. It does show that the game is installed perfectly...it just crashes when I try to play it. I don't even get into the game. I even once got a message stating that the game was not available yet lol.

As for me being jaded...no. I can see the writing on the wall. Itís as clear as day, and I am not happy about it either.

What a complete waste of my time and money. Worse yet is that I own every THQ title every produced, and this one should be great...and yet, I still can't get steam to work properly with this title.

Stay well away from this one folks. It doesn't work out of the box.

\m/ Rich \m/
02-20-2009, 06:03 AM
There are files on the DVD. I have spent the whole night wrestling this thing into submission, and I am royally pissed off that I haven't been able to play it yet. I have scoured the net, visited the official forums and support sites to no avail. What I have found out is that many people are in the same boat as I am. The game at first will not install from the DVD, but will do so from steam. If you wait till that is done, the game won't work. You can force it to install from the DVD, but it still won't work. There are even snippets that tell people to change their steam language and back again, etc.. Nothing works. It does show that the game is installed perfectly...it just crashes when I try to play it. I don't even get into the game. I even once got a message stating that the game was not available yet lol.

As for me being jaded...no. I can see the writing on the wall. Itís as clear as day, and I am not happy about it either.

What a complete waste of my time and money. Worse yet is that I own every THQ title every produced, and this one should be great...and yet, I still can't get steam to work properly with this title.

Stay well away from this one folks. It doesn't work out of the box.

betcha if i pirate it, it'll work fine. Photo outing sunday?

Chako
02-20-2009, 06:21 AM
Too busy this weekend with work Rich, maybe next weekend.

As for the hacking partÖyou know what, I can see why people do it. I still feel it is ruining an industry when the game developers impose grand stupidities that piss off honest buyers. Still cant get the darn thing to work yet, and I have uninstalled steam and reinstalled it over and over. This wouldn't hurt so much if I didn't really care about this game.

Aggravation station.

mboy67
02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
can you tell us more about the errors your getting trying to run it. and which hardware your trying to run on.

\m/ Rich \m/
02-20-2009, 06:46 PM
don't get me wrong, there are games worth buying.. its just sad when paying customers run into these issues and pirates are not necessarily affected.

Hans
02-20-2009, 09:18 PM
Instead of spending all this money, time and effort on DRM and anti piracy features, they could spend it on making a better product?

Upper Decker
02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
Instead of spending all this money, time and effort on DRM and anti piracy features, they could spend it on making a better product?

Case and point.
Also there are hundreds of threads ive come across with people who were having brutal stability issues with fallout 3 and people having to use the skulltupra rip fix(for pirated copies) for legit copies for the game to work.

Chako
02-21-2009, 08:01 AM
I fully agree.

Now here is the strange thing. I decided to use my upstairs system, and the game runs perfectly. My downstairs system won't even let me get to the title screen, as it crashes immediately.

downstairs system:

-Intel E6600 CPU.
-2 gigs of Corsair 800MHZ RAM.
-1 Asus ENGtX280 graphic card.
-Asus Striker Extreme mother board.
-Antec 900 computer case.
-3 Antec Blue LED 12cm case fans, 1 14cm case fan.
-Seasonic S12+ 650W Power supply.
-Razer Lachesis mouse, Microsoft Natural Pro keyboard.
-Logitech Inspire 5300 5.1 speakers.
-1 LG DVD burner.
-1 Western Digital velociraptor 300Gig HD.
-Samsung 24" LCD.
-Vista Ultimate 32Bit.

Upstairs system:

-Intel Q9450 CPU.
-4 Gigs of OCZ 1600MHz DDR3 RAM.
-2-ATI 4870 video cards.
-Asus Rage Extreme motherboard.
-Thermaltake Mozart XT case.
-10 Asus blue LED 12cm cooling fans.
-Cooler Master 1000W power supply.
-Soundblaster X-FI soundcard.
-HP 24" LCD.
-Logitech G15 keyboard.
-Logitech G7 mouse, Logitech MX Revolution mouse.
-Wacome Intuos3 6x11 tablet.
-Logitech 530 5.1 speakers.
-2 LG DVD burners (one Blueray burner).
-3 1/2" bay card reader.
-2 Western Digital Raptor 150s, 2 Maxtor 200s
-1 500 Seagate Free Agent Pro backup drive.
-Vista Home Premium 32bit.

I haven't used my upstairs system much lately. All drivers are the most recent also on both machines.

Oh well, at least I can play the game now.

Chako
02-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Well, I can play it, but it crashes something terrible. The only saving grace is that I don't lose much advancement when the game does crash.

This game is an entomologists dream come through.