PDA

View Full Version : is this normal? kids dentist problem

bluekrissyspikes
02-23-2009, 01:20 AM
my son had a dental appointment to get a filling done. he was supposed to go do it at the hospital because they wanted to put him to sleep to do it. first, i assumed they would give him laughing gas cause that's what the dentist always used to use but i guess not. so they wanted to give him an iv and i was not really okay with that. then the work order or whatever it is called said that they might pull his teeth instead of filling them. i was also not okay with that. he is only 2 and it's not like his teeth are rotting out of his mouth. so we left without getting it done because i thought maybe i should get a second opinion or find another dentist to do it using laughing gas to avoid the painful iv. anyways, afterwards the dental office told me that i would have to pay them four hundred dollars because i wasted the hospitals time. this doesn't seem right because a)they are not the hospital, so if that was the case wouldn't i have to pay the hospital? b)it's not like the nurses that saw him and the doc that was gonna see him would have been at home relaxing or something if he had not come in. they were already working. all they did was weigh him and take his height. then they made us sit in the waiting area for two hours. anyways, i made him an appointment with a different dentist and i'm wondering if i should pay them the $400, i have dental coverage so i would think any expenses would be charged to that, if it's normal to pull out a 2 year olds tooth because it has a small cavity and if anyone else's kids have had fillings done, did they not use laughing gas?

just to add, yes, i brush his teeth everyday. he takes floride chews too. it's apparently because i breast fed him for so long and breast milk has a lot of sugar in it, he also got his teeth in before three months old and i guess i should have not let him fall asleep nursing, but it's kinda hard to do that. i feel bad he has to do this now but i do take good care of his teeth.

EyelashExtensions
02-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Wow I would definitely get a second opinion! No way I would let them put my daughter to sleep for dental work unless it was absolutely necessary. I have NEVER heard of them doing that before...not for a cavity anyway. Maybe your dentist is not a good childrens dentist...and they would prefer them sleeping to do the work, I don`t know but I would have walked out too.

mags
02-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Was it 1 tooth or more than 1? It is uncommon to have to pull a 2 year olds tooth out I would think. But I would rather have a kid put into a light sleep which is what it would be rather than the gas.
Dental coverage might or might not cover the hospital bill, talk to your insurance carrier. If not then talk to the hospital and say you are not willing to pay full amount as nothing was done.
Good luck! When does your son see the new dentist?

Chaotic Chick
02-23-2009, 07:59 AM
My second oldest daughter's teeth were in very bad shape and the dentist said it was because I breastfed her for 18 months. Well, they began to decay and I was concerned; they never hurt but they looked terrible. She saw several dentists, none of whom would even fill them, nevermind pull any of them! Since the dentists found it unnecessary to do any work on her teeth, they decayed more and more until they started to hurt her. Now, she has nice, white teeth but because her teeth decayed so much, she did not have proper spacing in her mouth and her teeth are very crowded and crooked. :( She obviously needs braces but that may have to wait another year or two.

When my nephew was two or three, he had a cavity that he had to be sedated for and while he was sedated, they decided he needed a root canal, but they never wanted to pull it. My sister thought it would be better to pull it because she had a feeling it would come down to that eventually. She let them do the root canal though. Last year (when he was five) the dentist decided he needed that tooth pulled, after all of the work he had done. She took him to the hospital to be sedated and my nephew refused to get anything done. When my sister went home, she received a call and was told she owed $800 for walking out. She has benefits and she was mad as hell. (She does not live in Ontario). My sister talked to her insurance company and to the dentist and they eventually told her that she would not have to pay the $800 unless my nephew needed to be in the hospital for further dental work. Sure enough, about a month later, my nephew needed some dental work and now she is stuck having to pay this money, so she has not done it yet.

When my son had a tooth pulled, I think he was four. He just went in to the dentist, they gave him a shot of Novocaine and it took about 30 seconds.

bluekrissyspikes
02-23-2009, 09:20 AM
sorry, he has 2 cavities and they are on his front top teeth. so he's have to go around with no front teeth for the next four or five years. i think the gas would also put him to sleep enough because i had it when i got my wisdom teeth out when i was 17. his next appointment is going to be april 6th so it's a bit of a wait. i don't think an iv is necessary and his teeth aren't hurting hurting him so if they insist i guess i'll just have to leave them be.

mags
02-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Too bad his appointment is April 6, maybe they have a cancellation list his name could be put on. It would be great if this dentist fills the cavities.

Chaotic Chick
02-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Both front teeth? He kind of needs those to act as spacers to ensure his teeth do not get crowded and crooked when the adult ones come in! That is why my daughter's teeth are the way they are; those two front ones and the bottom two rotted. I don't know... I would insist that they simply filled the teeth. Unless your insurance is a barrier. If insurance tells them to pull the teeth, they will insist on pulling them. Not that it is cost effective in this case, with that $400 charge!

bluekrissyspikes
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
he needs them for eating too, doesn't he? i am mainly concerned that he would be traumatized by this

mags
02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
imo he would be less traumatized at his age with the IV sedation, he would be asleep and not remember anything. When having an IV started is too traumatizing for moms they don't have to be in the room. Often kids fear of needles, ivs is something they pick up from adults.
You do need the front teeth for eating but kids often don't have them.

MaO3
02-23-2009, 03:21 PM
When a child needs an IV they put a cream on the spot where they are going to insert the IV, but right this minute I can't remember the name of it. It numbs the area and the IV can be inserted with very very minimal pain. I think its called emla or something like that.

I used to have it used on my FIL when he needed IV treatment (he had alzheimers and didnt' understand). It worked really well.

Be advised that the front teeth are very painful to fill, if they were going to use novacane it has to go into the roof of the mouth -- OUCH I'd prefer to have my child put under IV sedation in this case.

You maybe on the hook for some of the costs since you took up the space in the operating room that someone else could have had. The staff was all on hand to do the work. Sorry probably not what you want to hear.

Kittie
02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
"i think the gas would also put him to sleep enough because i had it when i got my wisdom teeth out when i was 17."

They get you with the IV after you go to sleep with the laughing gas.

cdncutie65
02-23-2009, 05:04 PM
*As a rule, baby teeth in the front do not hold fillings very well and need to be replaced quite often (more cost-most trauma to child)....no it's not a great idea to have them pulled either...but usually if they are hurting, it means there is infection and further issues, so something should be done before that happens. Personally, even if the dentist isnt the best, I would think they wouldnt schedule hospital time for treatment not required...as well lose a half day or more in their office (probably the reason for the costs). Such a tough situation!

bluekrissyspikes
02-23-2009, 07:00 PM
it wasn't the dentist that was going to see him at the hospital. it was a surgeon who was already @ the hospital seeing other patients. the hospital did not have to call in any extra people, they were all there working that day and would still have been there if he hadn't had an appointment. they just had one less patient which is why the charge is stupid. it's not even the hospital trying to get the $$

blueeyedgirl
02-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Mine gets put asleep for dental work because of his disabilities. He had to have his front four teeth removed. They do not put the IV in until the child is some what out of it. I was told that the front teeth do not hold filling well and if the decay is severe that they would have to remove them. Yes he had no front teeth for a few years but it did not affect his eating or anything. Most of his adult teeth are in and they are all spaced perfectly. Both times that he has had to go in his dentist did the work and there was about 4 other families there as well.

bluekrissyspikes
02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
ok, so there is probably no way to get around it if they want to pull them. that sucks. for those of you whose kids had teeth pulled, how did they react to it? and did they get some kind of pain medication for afterwards or just tylenol?

Chaotic Chick
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
When my son had his tooth pulled, he was four so I thought he would freak out. He walked out of there with a big smile because the dentist gave him an airplane lol. I just gave him some children's Tylenol after and made sure he didn't eat anything for a couple of hours.

Tutones
02-24-2009, 12:56 AM
it wasn't the dentist that was going to see him at the hospital. it was a surgeon who was already @ the hospital seeing other patients. the hospital did not have to call in any extra people, they were all there working that day and would still have been there if he hadn't had an appointment. they just had one less patient which is why the charge is stupid. it's not even the hospital trying to get the $$

Time is money. Doctors aren't paid by the hour, they are paid by the patient/procedure. One less patient, when one has been booked, results in a loss of income for the dental surgeon if adequate cancellation time is not given. OHIP does not cover dentists or dental procedures. How else would the doctor be paid for his time?

bluekrissyspikes
02-24-2009, 01:16 AM
When my son had his tooth pulled, he was four so I thought he would freak out. He walked out of there with a big smile because the dentist gave him an airplane lol. I just gave him some children's Tylenol after and made sure he didn't eat anything for a couple of hours.

thanx cc. i'm still worried about it. so, he was able to eat after only a couple hours?

intelligirl
02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Both of my kids had to get all four of their upper front teeth pulled because they have genetically bad teeth with no enamel on them. It was either get them pulled or go to the dentist almost every month to repair fillings. They were both done at the hospital, under general anesthetic and were both covered by CINOT insurance - I didn't have to pay for anything. My boys both came out of the procedure amazingly well and can eat anything without their top front teeth. They were both 3, at the time and I don't think they would have sat in the dentist chair to get any amount of work done, so it was the only decision for us, at the time.

bluekrissyspikes
04-02-2009, 03:33 PM
so my little man had his dental appointment today. the dentist was great with him. she said there is NO REASON to pull his teeth out at all and that they aren't that bad. she's not even going to fill them yet because they aren't hurting him and the fillings would mostly just be cosmetic. she just said if they start to get worse fast or hurt him then she will fill them at their office right away, no need to make it into an all day hospital thing. i'm very pleased with them. he also got to sit on his dad and watch her rebuild two of his teeth that broke and do a couple fillings. he talked to her the whole time and she answered all the questions he had about what she was doing, what all the different things in the office were and why she was doing it. he actually had a lot of fun rather than being forced to sit in the chair against his will and having everyone getting upset with him. he came in saying he likes the dentist. (: i am very pleased with them.

kitty&mimi
04-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Time is money. Doctors aren't paid by the hour, they are paid by the patient/procedure. One less patient, when one has been booked, results in a loss of income for the dental surgeon if adequate cancellation time is not given. OHIP does not cover dentists or dental procedures. How else would the doctor be paid for his time?

i was just going to say the same thing
someone else could have had that spot
that would have been $$$ for him

bluekrissyspikes
04-02-2009, 07:45 PM
i was just going to say the same thing
someone else could have had that spot
that would have been $$$ for him

maybe but he doesn't even need his teeth out. i think that dentist was just greedy knowing they'd get more money by pulling them then by leaving them or filling them. pretty sad that they care more about their wallets than their patients well being. by the way, i didn't dig this thread up to get critisized for not wanting my sons teeth pulled unnecessarily and without warning, but thanks for your opinion anyways.

rmkryan
04-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I think as a parent you did the right thing. I have gotten second opinions for my kids when it just didn't feel right. I don't care if their time is money, my son is not a dollar value. If what a doc sais dosn't feel right or sit right with me then i will go and get a second or third or fourth opinion.

bluekrissyspikes
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I think as a parent you did the right thing. I have gotten second opinions for my kids when it just didn't feel right. I don't care if their time is money, my son is not a dollar value. If what a doc sais dosn't feel right or sit right with me then i will go and get a second or third or fourth opinion.

thank you. you are so right. it just didn't seem right that they would try to do something like that with out even discussing it with the parent first. i'm glad i didn't let them go through with it

mags
04-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Great that things worked out so well.

kitty&mimi
04-03-2009, 04:04 PM
maybe but he doesn't even need his teeth out. i think that dentist was just greedy knowing they'd get more money by pulling them then by leaving them or filling them. pretty sad that they care more about their wallets than their patients well being. by the way, i didn't dig this thread up to get critisized for not wanting my sons teeth pulled unnecessarily and without warning, but thanks for your opinion anyways.

i wasn't talking about ur decision to get a second opinion, that is your business and personally i would have done the same
i was just stating why they would charge u the 400bux even though u had nothing done