PDA

View Full Version : WIFI Enabled Handhelds

NewCasa
03-02-2009, 01:27 PM
For the last couple of weeks I've been checking out both cell phones and mpeg players (eg. Ipod) that are wifi enabled. The idea is that instead of lugging my laptop around with me I have a small device that will do most of the same stuff. My cell phone is a few years old and I'm no longer on a contract so a switch there would be no problem, however it looks to me like the mpeg player is the better route since then I wouldn't need a data plan etc.

Anyone have any experience with these things and any advice to share?

Thanks!

macdever
03-19-2009, 10:42 AM
my ipod touch is one of the best purchases I've ever made. second gen. itouch's can be jailbroken too now.

V Code
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
For sure. If you don't want a iPhone due to a data plan. Stick with a iPod touch. Same **** only no phone or edge/3g. If your not always close to wifi youmay want the iphone to still get access everywhere.

I love my iPhone and I don't mid paying for it's abilities

Shawn
03-19-2009, 09:07 PM
I am holding off myself getting an ipod touch. Iphone V3.0 is coming out very soon which means the ipod touch software will probably be getting an upgrade to 3.0 as well as they generally run the same software. One of the major new features is copy and paste... can't believe it took apple 3 versions to add that, I find it kind of funny.

V Code
03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
LOL, it's not that bad without copy and paste. I would like apps to stay open and in background when a SMS comes in. I hate relaunching. There is a repo app that is supposed to have this ability but it ran like garbage

macdever
03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
the possiblities are endless once your jailbreak :)

BlueSky
03-20-2009, 09:18 AM
What does 'jailbreak' mean? I will be making the switch this year as well, from a Palm treo 750 to an Itouch phone. It's a bit too expensive right now, and I have to chew up some more time on my contract before it gets affordable.

V Code
03-20-2009, 09:27 AM
jailbreaking allows you to install 3rd party apps. These apps allow for full customization. Themes, ringtones, productivity, games. It will also provide access to the file system once the proper tools are installed and you can install cracked apps from apple.

hemi_69
03-20-2009, 10:39 PM
theres also talk about jailbreaking the Touch and the iphone voiding your warranty. you don't actually HAVE to get a data plan with the iPhone if you're only using WiFi then it's free as long as you make sure you're not connecting to the cell network.
Also the 3.0 upgrade will be free for iphone users however Touch owners will have to pay for it.

V Code
03-20-2009, 11:09 PM
If you don't break your phone it can not void your warranty. Tomorrow I could update with iTunes and make my phone stock.

Madmax
03-21-2009, 08:23 PM
I just purchased a blackberry bold and it cost me 150.00 new. Can't beat that.

I am posting this from it right now over wifi.

I am loving this phone, wifi, bluetooth, GPS..... Awesome.

Madmax
03-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Now i am posting ... this post ... from my PC.

No doubt it is faster to post from my PC keyboard then the Blackberry's keyboard.

I bought the phone yesterday at futureshop and it is awesome, fast and reliable.

I have added some new themes to it including a Iphone theme with the iphone icons .. :)

You can do a lot of stuff with this phone.

Camera = 2.0, can take video as well.

GPS navigation .. i have installed 3 more programs, plus the default blackberry maps = 4 programs for GPS which ever suits a person.

Music can be played on it like any IPOD or MP3 player, i have added a 2GB MicroSd card into the phone.

It endless with Thousands of apps ppl have created and blackberry.com have made for these phones.

Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth.

I bought a bluetooth ear piece and it works very good with this phone.

My old cellphone was 4-5 years old now and i decided i would go with one of the top selling phones in the market and the Blackberry Bold is in my opinion tied at number 1 with the Iphone, but the blackberry bold has some features the Iphone can't do.

One example is:

The blackberry can take a picture of video and allow you to email it as an option right away. The Iphone can't do that.

As for the lower end Blackberrys they all don't have WIFI and even the newer 8900 series phone does not have WIFI.

I look long and hard for a phone that would give me all that i wanted and this is the only one at this time that can do so.

It is a 3G phone also, but some carries in this town don't have 3G service and the ONLY one that i know of that DOES have a 3G service (RUNS IT ON 3G CDMA) = this is not a FULL 3G service, but infact only a little faster then the EDGE service offered by one of the carriers in this city.

A true 3G service would equal a speed of around a g wireless connection, the 3G CDMA is around a wirless B or slightly lower, the EDGE is slightly lower then the 3G CDMA.

So it maybe a little wait for a true 3G service to be available from any carriers in this city, but having a phone that is WIFI is no doubt something i recommend everyone to make sure you get for a backup service incase the mobile goes down or your out of the mobile area you can still connect to the net.

The sound is awesome on the phone, no worries about not hearing anyone or hearing music on this phone, Video clarity is very good/excellent and colors are GREAT.

Voice recognition for calling a stored contact is a awesome feature.

NewCasa
05-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know anything about either Archos or about the new Creative Zen that's supposed to be coming? The Archos is out now and has WiFi and the new Zen will too but I'm not sure it's available yet.

General Lee
05-05-2009, 05:33 PM
i have the Iphone u do not need a data plan i use the wi fi all the time it kicks ass i did not pay much for mine as rodgers was trying to get me to stay with them so i got a sick deal on mine and i use it for eveything