PDA

View Full Version : Roast chicken a la help !!!!

IMHO
03-03-2009, 11:43 PM
I have 2 chickens I want to roast(first time)..Any suggestions on how to get 2 nice roast chickens? Seasonings?Time? pans? heat?oven position?

MaO3
03-04-2009, 09:16 AM
I ensure that the chicken is clean in side, remove any icky stuff and dry the cavity with paper towels. If you plan on stuffing it, now would be the time to do that. If you dont' care to do that I cut an onion in half and stick that as well as a clove or two of garlic into the cavity.

I use a rack in my roasting pan to keep the bird off the bottom.
I season my birds with Lowreys season salt, and a bit of garlic powder. Add water to the bottom of the pan - enough to cover the bottom plus some extra.

I keep a lid on my roasting pan for the first hour or so (depending on the size of the chicken) Take the lid off, and baste the chicken with the juices in the pan.
(you can always throw in a bit of dry chicken stock too)

Cook the last hour without the lid for a nice golden brown skin.

I use about a 350 oven for a couple of hours depending on the size of the chicken.
Hope that helps.

PS I use a traditional enamel roasting pan, but if you don't have one, use an open pan and cover with foil for the intial cooking time.

IMHO
03-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Wow...thats a very complete direction.Tha nk you so much.

MaO3
03-04-2009, 10:12 AM
You are welcome. Good luck.

tasma
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I also use the one pan crockpot for chicken. I add the chicken with some chicken stock in the pan not much because it will make its own juices. add veges and potatoes in the last hour and you hve everything made for you. after dinner I throw all the bones into the pot add water and cook the bones in the pot for soup.

H.E. Pennypacker
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
I use a rack in my roasting pan to keep the bird off the bottom.

what i do is put carrot celery and onion on the bottom and the bird will sit on top of those veggies and the flavors will also go into it.

BrAt
03-06-2009, 11:49 AM
You can also use apples, onions and whole cloves of garlic (crushed) along with a bit of apple cider or chicken stock in the bottom of the pan for the chicken to lay on.