PDA

View Full Version : Speaker's Corner

Hey Mr DJ
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
If the Soo had a televised Speaker's Corner show and a booth somewhere downtown would you take advantage of the opportunity to be seen and heard on tv?

Shawn
03-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Lol... would we actually get a chance to use it? Figured Tony would be the first in line to be heard, I don't think the rest of us would get a chance...lol

lynys
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Speaking of Tony...

How did I manage to get myself on his mailing list? I am tired of having junk sent to me. I've never even met nor spoken to the man, so what gives??? :sangry:

A*lil*Loopy
03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
In a heartbeat!!

There are so many issues that could be addressed quickly and seen/heard by a mass audience. I'm not talking politics either, I have things I would love to inform the public of.

Craig Huckerby
03-05-2009, 02:30 PM
I don't know, from past experience people don't like to voice their concerns to a video camera. If you have a beef, shot one in your video camera and send it in to me at soonews, I would love to have something like that if it gets a good reaction.

EyelashExtensions
03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Speaking of Tony...

How did I manage to get myself on his mailing list? I am tired of having junk sent to me. I've never even met nor spoken to the man, so what gives??? :sangry:

Ditto on that! I wonder if it's our tax paying money that's going to this junk mail he keeps sending.

And heck no...don't you know you gain 10 pounds when on t.v.!

EyelashExtensions
03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't know, from past experience people don't like to voice their concerns to a video camera. If you have a beef, shot one in your video camera and send it in to me at soonews, I would love to have something like that if it gets a good reaction.

That is actually a really cool idea! Have locals video tape their questions or comments....very neat indeed!

bouffant
03-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Great way to steal someone else's idea!! I think a speaker's corner would be a better idea because not everyone has a video camera and it would make great spontaneous "in the moment" kind of reactions from people. Sending in personal videos takes away from the reality tv aspect of what a speaker's corner actually is, and you only get one shot at it whereas someone that sends in videos can redo it over and over again. I'd rather see people be as real as they can possibly be, under the pressure of having only a minute or so to record what they have to say.

Craig Huckerby
03-05-2009, 03:44 PM
stealing the idea? isn't there already a speakers corner with CITY TV in Toronto and Vancouver? I just know that people do not always like to be on the spot on camera, if they are relaxed you get a better product - from personal experience this is what I've discovered. Hey if you want to maintain a speakers corner, go right ahead but who's going to air it?

EyelashExtensions
03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Speaker's corner is an old idea, not something new to be stealing.

Scoff
03-05-2009, 04:51 PM
If the Soo had a televised Speaker's Corner show and a booth somewhere downtown would you take advantage of the opportunity to be seen and heard on tv?

What do you think this is TO?

I think it's unrealistic to think this would last or fly in this barren land we call "the Soo" ... hate to burst bubbles. Have fun your first couple of days with this then watch the tumbleweeds roll.

bouffant
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I know that speakers corner originated in toronto on city tv, many years ago. As of stealing the idea, I was reffering to how craig's idea was trying to take the thunder away from DJ's idea about finally getting a speaker's corner booth in our city. I think it's a great idea, maybe DJ and craig can work together, after all, two minds are better than one.

bouffant
03-05-2009, 05:06 PM
What do you think this is TO?

I think it's unrealistic to think this would last or fly in this barren land we call "the Soo" ... hate to burst bubbles. Have fun your first couple of days with this then watch the tumbleweeds roll.

It's because of attitudes like your's that new ideas for our city get put on the backburner. The only way our city will grow and change is if we embrace new ideas and teach the idiots of our city that change is good.

Madmax
03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
If it were national TV.

THEN yes.

If it is the hillbilly TV in this town.

THEN no.

As much as it is important for us ppl to be heard within our town. It is more important to get our messages on national TV as then the politicians have no excuse to say they never heard the enormous cries from its ppl with in this city.

We need change and we need it fast in this town as if not, sooner or later this town will become a ghost town.

Craig Huckerby
03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder, just trying to give you a venue to air the comments. There's not much good having a speaker's corner if no one can watch them right? That's where I can possibly help..I could run a bunch of the video clips to a fairly big audience locally, that's all I was saying...

The Berean
03-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Speakers Corner is an area of Hyde Park in London, England where anyone could mount his (literal) soapbox and talk about any topic he pleases. It has been used since about 1872

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakers'_Corner

Madmax
03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder, just trying to give you a venue to air the comments. There's not much good having a speaker's corner if no one can watch them right? That's where I can possibly help..I could run a bunch of the video clips to a fairly big audience locally, that's all I was saying...

Try and get it national attention/exposure and it would be a much better idea.