PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Disorder

*Angel*
03-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Does anyone on here suffer with Anxiety? I really could use someone to talk to who understands and maybe who is going through what I am...

Tansy
03-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Watcha going through, Peanut?
I was actually diagnosed with 'Manic Depression' years ago when I went to an emergency clinic thinking I was having a heart attack. Turned out it was extreme stress in my life.
Don't be afraid to talk about what you're going through with friends/family/loved ones. You're *not* 'crazy', and it's much more common than you think. It's just one of those things that people never talk about.
Seeing understanding is a completely rational, intelligent thing to do.

Brookelynn
03-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Been through it and still struggling with it. Tansy is right, you're not crazy. I used to think the same way. I was scared to death of it. You can talk to me anytime :)

Gimic
03-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I deal with anxiety myself. I lose feeling in my body and have rapid heartbeat at times and sometimes feel disoriented etc. Your not crazy though.

If you find your heart beating rapidly try 'Box Breathing' you breathe in while counting to 7, then hold it for 7 seconds while counting to 7 and then exhale counting to 7. I find this helps take my mind off things and also helps slow my heart beat, my social worker told me this. As Tansy said you should talk with your family and friends about what your going through, its better to get it out than keep it in, that's for sure.

I've been doing Cognative Therapy with a social worker and i've felt much better than I have in many months. I hope that you can get things under control and manage your anxiety as I did, remember you are not alone. I never knew how many people in my life suffer from anxiety problems as well, so its good to know that your not alone.

Babzz
03-10-2009, 10:51 AM
My son also struggles with anxiety.. It can be very hard on him but we are both dealing with it and I try very hard to understand it. I can see the symptons and now and help him through it when he has an attack of panic

gewgaw
03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Anxiety is a common thing nowdays... i personally think it comes from stress from work, repetitive tasks...

SWRKR 01
03-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Sent you a PM

gewgaw
03-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Does anyone on here suffer with Anxiety? I really could use someone to talk to who understands and maybe who is going through what I am...

take Paxil lol

EyelashExtensions
03-11-2009, 09:11 AM
A past member on here also took cognitive therapy and it did wonders for her. It's supposed to work very well, it might be something to consider. Ever since my ex and I broke up my anxiety/panic attacks have pretty much gone. I can tell when they are coming, the minute something bad happens I prepare myself so to speak. Before they would just come unannounced. Try to get rid of as many stressers as you can. I'm a VERY laid back person so when I started getting them it took me by surprise. I'm back to being laid back again and not having to worry about to much. It definitely has to do with money, jobs, bills, relationships, children etc... You may want to try an online support group since it's anonymous as well.

Super Gram
03-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I don't think too many people understand anxiety/panic attacks. I am bipolar and had them very bad. I beat it and it took me a year. Very simple method but you have to practise it. I went to recovery started by Dr. Abraham Low in Chicago in the 1950's. There is one here if you want to try it. If so PM me and I will give information.The book that we read is called "Mental Health Through Will Training. A chapter is read every week Then there is examples given and how they beat it. The method is so simple. For ex one of the sayings is, using objectivity as a means of terminating a panic. That is doing something like reading etc.

gewgaw
03-17-2009, 09:25 PM
A past member on here also took cognitive therapy and it did wonders for her. It's supposed to work very well, it might be something to consider. Ever since my ex and I broke up my anxiety/panic attacks have pretty much gone. I can tell when they are coming, the minute something bad happens I prepare myself so to speak. Before they would just come unannounced. Try to get rid of as many stressers as you can. I'm a VERY laid back person so when I started getting them it took me by surprise. I'm back to being laid back again and not having to worry about to much. It definitely has to do with money, jobs, bills, relationships, children etc... You may want to try an online support group since it's anonymous as well.

paxil works wonders :confused2:

Misschix
03-18-2009, 12:53 AM
I suffer from EXTREME panic and anxiety attacks
I cannot take meds because I panic about taking them....it is bad....
I get shaky, my heart races, I feel like IM going to pass out and die...I cant see staright
Ive had yet to pass out but the past two years they have increased severely...
Mr dr is no use to me either...If anyone has advice..I would love it

gewgaw
03-18-2009, 01:44 AM
I get shaky, my heart races, I feel like IM going to pass out and die...I cant see staright

well, i suffer from OCD and BDD my doc gave me Paxil... there are other meds you can take but the only other option is the cognitive therapy the stuff Keebler does :)

Sophie's_Mommy
03-18-2009, 09:27 AM

im the same way,the first time it happened to mei thought i was dying...i gave hubby my health card incase he had to call a ambulance, i think i scared the crap out of him..lol..but it truly feels like you are dying...i can not take anything for it either...but ya its scary as heck..but the good thing is i think i ve only had one since my daughter was born and it was very mild i was able to shake it off so to speak...they were bad when i i was pregnant though and before i got pregnant...they are not fun..my mom gets them and doctor said i get them prolly case i inherited them from her..and hubby gets them often too at least 2 a week, his are bad, he can t even go into a store and shop without having to leave, i bring him to walmart and he gets all panicky so he goes outside for a minute, it really sucks..

houlegan
03-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I too had an attack - ONLY 1 x - and thought I was dying! After that first one, I was so scared it was going to happen again ... I tried to return to my normal routine - but couldn't ... everytime I would go anywhere, I was so worried I would have another, I just avoided everything. I had a very hard time just sitting - I had to be moving all the time.

At emerg and then with my family doctor - they put me on Ativan... then I couldn't go anywhere or do anything without taking the Ativan. I started taking more that 1-2 day - sometimes 3 or 4. Not good. It did get me out of the house though - a bit lethargically but I did what I needed to do nonetheless.

When I went to my doctor to get them refilled - she said no not good on the Ativan and set me up for counselling. That helped but I was still having a hard time going anywhere. I went to a hypnotist - cost me $ but it did help a lot. If I started getting anxious, it helped to let me recognize my feelings and control them better and not get carried away in the anxiety which only multiplies the feeling. That helped alot.

When I finished my school year - I was going to college at the time, I started working. Then it would get bad again. It seemed each time a major change came, the normal feelings of anxiousness would get bad again.

So I went to the doctor - she put me on Paxil. It worked great and let me feel confident in my life again. It took a long time to do this.

I went off the paxil about 2.5 years ago - that wasn't easy either but I did it.

I still have anxious feelings but I recognize them, deal with them and in my head instead of giving into the negativeness, do self-talk and focus on the positive things in my life. Sometimes when I start feeling anxious...I just laugh about it (on the inside).
That really seems to help.

But just know that it does get better... work with a doctor, counsellor, or just talking about it with others helps. It is sometimes a long road but it does get better if you continue trying to deal with it and you are aware of your feelings.

kitty&mimi
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
celexa is used for GAD, little side effects
check it out chixy, just google it
u really shouldnt live with panic attacks etc, it's very hard on your body, mentally and physically
you can't live that way

editted to add: i shouldnt say little side effects, i meant that the side effects arent as bad as others...
the best thing to do is talk to a pharmacist about new generation meds for this disorder, get educated first about them

Misschix
03-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I panic about the side effects of any medication
I panic about being doped up I panic in stores , I panic at work , I dunno its bad...
Like I said My dr is pretty useless though

zoo crew
03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I suffer from severe panic and anxiety. Meds work for some people but for me there were too many side effects. My therapy ended up being my dog. She is a companion that can sense my anxieties and has helped so much. When I begin to get worked up she licks my face or my hands and from that point we go for walks or we have cuddle time on the couch. I know some people may think this sounds so simple that it wouldn't work but it does. It just takes a very special dog.....

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 11:23 AM
paxil does work though, i wouldnt be a functioning human being without them

kitty&mimi
03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I panic about the side effects of any medication
I panic about being doped up I panic in stores , I panic at work , I dunno its bad...
Like I said My dr is pretty useless though

see a therapist then, they would know more
my NP is opposite from ur doc, she is all about the meds, and it's all psychological
lol
maybe the therapist can help you without taking meds

kitty&mimi
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I suffer from severe panic and anxiety. Meds work for some people but for me there were too many side effects. My therapy ended up being my dog. She is a companion that can sense my anxieties and has helped so much. When I begin to get worked up she licks my face or my hands and from that point we go for walks or we have cuddle time on the couch. I know some people may think this sounds so simple that it wouldn't work but it does. It just takes a very special dog.....

i believe you....
i get freaky in the winter, no panic attacks, but it affects me somehow
in the summer im a different person....
it's all about being outside, being in the sun etc
crazy eh?

EyelashExtensions
03-19-2009, 12:30 PM
I started a new medication about a month ago and one of the side effects people seem to have are panic/anxiety attacks and low and behold I had 3 in a row(3 days) all day long! I'm hoping it's a side effect that goes away and it's only temporary cause the medication is doing wonders for me, other than the new side effect of panic/anxiety attacks. Today I seem to be fine so far. I haven't had one in two years and now this ugghh.

sahara
03-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I sent you a PM.

Gimic
03-22-2009, 09:13 AM
I deal with anxiety atks everyday and have gotten some great tips from the social worker I work with to help change things etc. If you need some support I'm willing to listen, drop me a line on msn messenger matrix_gta@hotmail.com

gewgaw
03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
I deal with anxiety atks everyday and have gotten some great tips from the social worker I work with to help change things etc. If you need some support I'm willing to listen, drop me a line on msn messenger matrix_gta@hotmail.com

no Paxil...?

Super Gram
03-23-2009, 02:50 AM
well, i suffer from OCD and BDD my doc gave me Paxil... there are other meds you can take but the only other option is the cognitive therapy the stuff Keebler does :)

Paxil is an anti depressant

Chaotic Chick
03-23-2009, 05:00 AM
Paxil (and some other anti-depressants) work well for panic attacks. The only thing is, there are nasty side effects and withdrawals once one has quit them. Paxil and Effexor are two of the worst for that. Prozac and Luvox are sometimes used for panic disorder as well.

I tried every medication there is for panic attacks and anxiety. There are some things that make them worse like smoking, caffeine and alcohol. Not eating properly can cause anxiety to get worse as well. I hated the medications. I was always trying a new one and always having to go through side effects and then withdrawals. So I quit all of the meds and went to therapy and now they are pretty much gone. I get the occasional bout of anxiety related to exams but that is about it.

gewgaw
03-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Paxil is an anti depressant

depression = OCD, anxiety???

Gimic
03-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Yeah I am on Paxil, 60mg I find it has helped some, but the real thing that helped was seeking counsilling for the issue and being able to get help and deal with the anxiety at hand and the things that cause the anxiety and what not. I've been feeling much better since seeking counsil.