PDA

View Full Version : Can you figure this out?

Bufford
03-12-2009, 08:51 AM
Our power was off most of yesterday due to really high winds, so to keep busy I cleaned out some old papers and found this old recipe in my Grandmothers handwriting, I wonder if any younger cooks of today could even understand the instructions?

In a large spider melt a stirful of sweet butter, fill spider with naked and shaved ripe tomatoes, cover with four shakes of flour, pour on clabbered cream to top, move to right of stove “left if you are cooking on a b-a-s-t-a-r-d” cook long-brown slow.
Use to dunk fingers in or slop over plow tracks.

Do you understand it?, just for fun re-write it in modern terms

Sophie's_Mommy
03-12-2009, 09:30 AM
is this a joke?..lol.

Bufford
03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
this is NOT a joke, it is a real old recipe, writen in the culinlary style of yesterday years, I wii post the resipe in modren terms later.

A*lil*Loopy
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm going to take a shot at it for fun, if I'm wrong so be it.

In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter, add one can of tomatoes, (or could be whole blanched, peeled and diced tomatoes), add 1/2 cup of flour, and fill to near top with whole fat whipping cream or ricotta cheese. Simmer til thickened.
Use as a dip or as a sauce for mashed potatoes.

All I could think of was mashed taters for the plow tracks.

Bufford
03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Loppy..you almost got..darn good try, here is what it means

Spider = large fry pan, generally cast iron.

Stirful = large spoon used to stir a pot with.

Sweet butter = fresh churned un-salted butter.

Naked and shaved tomatoes = skinned and sliced thinly.

Four shakes of flour = cup of flour.

Clabbered cream = also known as clotted, soured or curdled milk, has a long tradition as a food of the American south. Beneficial bacteria in the milk converts the sweet milk sugar (lactose) into lactose acid. This gives the milk a tangy taste similar to yogurt. This milk also has a reputation as a healthful dairy beverage.

Move to right of stove = wood burning kitchen stoves have the fire box (the place you put the wood in) on the left which is the hottest spot on the stove, by moving the pot to the right it will be able to simmer very slowly.
B-a-s-t-a-r-d = a wood cook stove with the fire box on the right side.

Cook long-brown slow = simmer, don’t allow to burn.

Dunk fingers = strips of dry toast.

Slop = pour.

Plow tracks = homemade egg noodles cut into strips with a knife.

So in modern culinary terms this is a thick rich tomato sauce that is simmered in a slow cooker, and used as a dip or as a sauce over pasta.

kitca
03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
you are so lucky to have that recipe handwritten by your grandmother!!!! thanks for sharing, that is very cool.

Giggle Squirt
03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
could you post a picture of the recipe?

gouligann
03-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Interesting thread! No spices mentioned at all.
Thanks for sharing Bufford.

Any idea what year this was written? What nationallity was your grandmother? I'll guess English?