PDA

View Full Version : Crunching sound when braking

Asparas
03-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I just bought myself a brand new 09 Mazda 3. I know it's under warranty and I'm going to be taking my car to the dealer to see if there is anything wrong with it. However, I'm coming here first to see what your opinions might be because first thing they said is they've never heard of anything like this.

I'll explain the situation. This doesn't happen all the time, so I'm not sure what it could be. Sometimes, when I start slowing down when approaching an intersection, I'll start pressing on the brakes to start the slowing process. When I go to push on the brakes harder to come to a complete stop, I feel and hear a crunching sound coming from the front brakes and pedal.

Does anyone know what this could be?

AmdWolfman
03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
how long has this been happening. It could be sand ,salt , but who knows. good idea to bring it to the dealer first. I'm saying sand and grit only becuzz it is the season. Did it happen in the summer also?,,,could be time for a change of brake pads.

puppy
03-12-2009, 01:53 PM
does it have anti lock brakes?

H.E. Pennypacker
03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
does it have anti lock brakes?

+1 good question.

Giggle Squirt
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
My abs does that. Makes a crunching/grinding sound and i feel it in the pedal

puppy
03-12-2009, 10:39 PM
abs brakes are meant to make noise when applied and on icey surfaces.....that is how they work.....sounds normal to me....

Luv to be on the GO
03-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Asparus...don`t be alarmed
When I got my car ( I mean when it was brand new)
The same thing happened to me ....it`s your anti-lock brakes
I was kinda embarrased when I took it back to the dealer !!!
They probably thought God women are dumb LOL

gewgaw
03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Remember to pump em and not slam them!

Giggle Squirt
03-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Remember to pump em and not slam them!

you don't pump abs.. The computer does it for you faster then you can even think.. You just keep your foot on the brakes and let the abs system do the work for you... I am so glad you don't drive.

puppy
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
you don't pump abs.. The computer does it for you faster then you can even think.. You just keep your foot on the brakes and let the abs system do the work for you... I am so glad you don't drive.

i was going to say the same thing....abs work all by the computer....no need to pump them and with abs the pedal feels like it is pulsating...

GRUMPY
03-14-2009, 12:32 AM
ya but what does he know about computers?

gewgaw
03-14-2009, 01:04 AM

eh i was a great driver! until ummm never mind....

Broken
03-15-2009, 09:52 AM
My truck does that and I was wondering why. It only does it in the winter and only on slippery surfaces. So this is what it is?

puppy
03-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Broken....yup that is what it is...

fenderbass
03-15-2009, 06:33 PM
What is that noise and vibration?

This is normal and indicates that the ABS is active. Various ABS sound or feel differently. Some of the effects, for example are:

* a groaning noise
* a rapid pulsing of the brake pedal
* a periodic dropping of the brake pedal
* a hard (non compliant) brake pedal
* a light that turns on to say "low traction".

You should familiarize yourself with how your system functions by first reading the "Owner’s Manual" and then testing your ABS in an empty parking lot under various climatic conditions i.e. dry, wet, snow and ice.
Pulsating brake pedal Brake pedal will pulsate
As the ABS engages, you may feel the brake pedal pulsating. This is caused by the system applying and releasing pressure to the brakes.

The noise associated with ABS when it is functioning should not be confused with brake squeal. If your brakes squeal under normal braking, this may mean the brake pads are worn and need replacing. A pulsing brake pedal every time you apply the brakes may mean warped brake rotors and/or seized brake calipers that require servicing.

REMEMBER...WHEN IN DOUBT, CHECK IT OUT. Transport Canada recommends that if you are experiencing any abnormal braking, have it checked out at your dealer.

fenderbass
03-15-2009, 06:38 PM
I only copied this because some people don't understand how ABS assisted brakes function.
Like it says if you are questioning your brakes then get your dealer to inspect them..I have seen lots of cars,trucks and vans that were checked by local shops and were assured the customer that the brakes were good. And they are but the electronic part of the brakes(ABS)was having issues. Your dealer knows the system best, That's why we go on training.

fenderbass
03-15-2009, 06:42 PM
also one more thing that people may or may not know
Is the stopping distance shorter with ABS?

No! From early commercials, it may have looked like you could stop on a dime. That instantaneous stop is not realistic. When braking on dry or wet roads your stopping distance will be about the same as with conventional brakes.

You should allow for a longer stopping distance with ABS than for conventional brakes when driving on gravel, slush, and snow. This is because the rotating tire will stay on top of this low traction road surface covering, and effectively "float" on this boundary layer.

A non ABS braked vehicle can lock its tires and create a snow plow effect in front of the tires which helps slow the vehicle. These locked tires can often find more traction below this boundary layer.

Can you disable your ABS and just have conventional brakes. Yes and No. If you disable your ABS by simply pulling the fuse then of course your ABS won't work. But what people don't know is most ABS Components such as the BPMV(Brake pressure metering valve) is also disabled this is like the conventional proportioning valve in older and non ABS cars,trucks and vans. With this disabled you will have unbalanced braking from front to rear...

Giggle Squirt
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
ya the distance thing with abs is very true. It will help you maintain controll over the vehicle. After having a vehicle with out abs for years and then getting in to a vehicle with abs, the first time it kicked it i nearly messed my pants. Without abs i would just be pulled into the snowbank and such and i was use to trying to controll a vehicle with out abs. With abs i am able to some what stear and keep straitght.. If i find myself stopping and the abs kicking in, i will try to stear towards some road sand or something to try to stop the "floating" effect and get some traction. Abs can be very annoying at time, and it does not kick in until the vehicle is over a certain speed I do believe the standard is around 17kmh. I also had a vehicle where the speed sensors were gone and the abs didn't kick in when i expected it to... and i also had a vehicle where the tone rings were gone and the abs would kick in when it was not needed.

Another point to add to gearheadjay... ABS system can work on one wheel or all 4 wheels... if only 3 of the four wheels are slippiing then it will pulsate only the three... And it is also important to maintian pressure on the brakes... evertime you take you foot off and pump your brakes it resets the abs causing a longer stopping distance. I would also recomend that people with abs equiped vehicle take it out to a back parking lot or something and expaiment with it so they know how it will recat and any noises it will make so when it happens during a normal driving day you won't become paranoid. Also if you have a truck and are pulling a trailer your abs will react differently even if you think you have traction the weight of the trailer will affect slippage and stuff... i personally found it to kick in alot more.

Barry Morris
03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I have a van with ABS. I was quite surprised to find the truck sliding right into an intersection when I had been very sure that it would stop before that point. An unusual situation, but not very nice.

When I got the truck, as soon as possible I took it out to try out the ABS and get a feel for how it works. I suggest eveyone do the same.

Canwrench
03-18-2009, 11:44 PM
"Your dealer knows the system best, That's why we go on training"

LOL thats funny you's guys are all the same think you are the top of the feld and ONLY you know how to fix cars. I have seen the dealer take people to the cleanners over fixing simple things !!!! Only to show up at my door not fixed

fenderbass
03-19-2009, 07:59 AM
"Your dealer knows the system best, That's why we go on training"

LOL thats funny you's guys are all the same think you are the top of the feld and ONLY you know how to fix cars. I have seen the dealer take people to the cleanners over fixing simple things !!!! Only to show up at my door not fixed

You didn't read all the posts in the thread...This is not a debate about who is better, I will stand by my word that the Dealer knows the cars they sell
and service the best..Hands down. Everything that local small shops learn is because the dealers have already found the problem. I will not argue with you about this
If you think dealers rip all there customers off. ..Then that's your opinion. But I know different. This thread was a simple question about ABS brakes..on a 2009 car.
If you have nothing to add that is positive then please don't respond to this thread.,...Thanks.

03-20-2009, 02:53 PM
ya the distance thing with abs is very true..NO.

No.

NO!

Did I say "NO"?

If your front tires are locked up and sliding, you cannot steer your car. A sliding tire has no traction. That's why it's sliding.

Tell you what. Try making a panic stop on a slippery curve with no ABS, and try it with a vehicle with ABS. The ABS will allow you to keep control of your vehicle. Lock up the non-ABS vehicle, and you'll be calling a tow truck to pull you out of the ditch/snowbank.

MissMuffett
03-20-2009, 11:27 PM
my dad asked me the same thing and hes suppose to know about cars :P hahaha..
abs!!

Giggle Squirt
03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
NO.

No.

NO!

Did I say "NO"?

If your front tires are locked up and sliding, you cannot steer your car. A sliding tire has no traction. That's why it's sliding.

Tell you what. Try making a panic stop on a slippery curve with no ABS, and try it with a vehicle with ABS. The ABS will allow you to keep control of your vehicle. Lock up the non-ABS vehicle, and you'll be calling a tow truck to pull you out of the ditch/snowbank.

If you read the post before mine, the person posting said that the distance with abs is longer i was simply agreeing. And yes i have locked up a car with out abs going around a corner on the ranger lake road. Both on gravel and when it was ice packed. ANd if you read my post after that i did explain how the abs will let you stear you vehicle and maintain control. While a non abs vehivle you will slide and not have any control.
Thanks.

corn316
03-21-2009, 01:41 AM
i only have one problem with my abs brakes it comes on too soon i have to bring it in and have them adjusted to start later they come on way to early and over notning

gewgaw
03-21-2009, 07:06 AM
maybe ice-cracking on the road?

fenderbass
03-21-2009, 12:44 PM
i only have one problem with my abs brakes it comes on too soon i have to bring it in and have them adjusted to start later they come on way to early and over notning

what type of car/truck do you drive...there is no adjustment for ABS..

Giggle Squirt
03-21-2009, 10:43 PM
The only time i have ever had an issue with abs comming on too soon and for no reason was when the wheel bearing was going and it was messing up the wheel speed sensor... SO the only solution to my problem was a highly expensive wheel bearing...

MissMuffett
03-21-2009, 11:25 PM
what type of car/truck do you drive...there is no adjustment for ABS..

bet it's a chev product....around 95-2000?? they had problems with abs brakes coming on too soon over the slightest..it was a little malfunction that was caused I believe by the unit itself, not the sensors....

fenderbass
03-22-2009, 08:54 AM
bet it's a chev product....around 95-2000?? they had problems with abs brakes coming on too soon over the slightest..it was a little malfunction that was caused I believe by the unit itself, not the sensors....

It was caused by rust build up under the front speed sensors...Causing the sensor signal to
drop off. The EBCM would see it as a wheel slip and set the BPMV into ABS mode...Easy fix if the sensors come out, Clean the rusted area were the speed sensor sits on the hub. Use a good pimer
and allow it to dry..repeat this three times. Clean the sensor and reinstall..repeat this for the other
front. and test in a parking lot. ABS should be good. So yes it wasn't the sensors causing the system
to go into ABS mode...it was rust.

corn316
03-22-2009, 11:30 AM
actualy its a ford escape 06 and they are controled by a computer so they can be adjusted and if one tire is on dry pav and the other on ice it should not come on

fenderbass
03-22-2009, 02:29 PM
actualy its a ford escape 06 and they are controled by a computer so they can be adjusted and if one tire is on dry pav and the other on ice it should not come on

Did Ford tell you they could adjust your ABS?..

Asparas
03-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Well thanks for all the replies. It certainly was the ABS. Doesn't do it anymore as the roads are nice. I've driven in vehicles with ABS and none of them ever felt like that. However, they were considerably older compared to this one so that could explain it since the brakes wouldn't pulse nearly as quickly as on this car.
Once again, thanks for the replies. Please continue your debate on ABS, it's quite educational lol.