PDA

View Full Version : i cant wait!!!

kitca
03-16-2009, 12:23 AM
i always get so excited in the spring, its my favorite time in the garden. i get most of my chores done in the spring, but in the fall i have a harder time.

does anyone mulch? what do you use? i use tons of shredded leaves and someitmes pine needles. iknow they say pine needles are acidic but i use so much compost which is alkaline. also, ive read that pine needles take so long to break down that they arent all that acidic after all. any thoughts?

EyelashExtensions
03-19-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't mulch only because last year was my first year to have a real garden. We were supposed to redo all our flower beds this year and put in a pond, BUT my hunny might not have any work left after April. So my flower gardens are going to be limited. I really hope they get some jobs and soon! There's still some hope i might be able to get the beds finished but it's up in the air right now. To be honest I don't even know how to mulch, lol. I'll have to google that!

p.s. I have the salvia here for you, I'll be dropping it off soon.

kitca
03-19-2009, 11:26 PM
oh good, thanks.

great site is from gardenwebformums called "soil, mulch & compost". i really learn alot thorough all the different forums there

mulching helps cut down on weeds and helps to keep the soil moist and cool. alot of folks around here i notice buy the red bark or some such stuff. i buy the red bark for some places, but i like to use shredded leaves. the worms just feed off them and imporove the soil.

i hope good things for you & your honey and the work situation. it is very scary!

yoda
03-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Peety, where are you going to buy the lime? I used to buy it at Shaw Milling on Bruce St. but last year they said that they don't sell it anymore. I don't know where else to buy it.

will
03-22-2009, 03:01 AM
TSC probly has it, the co-op store in echo bay, its used in farming, you can probly find it in the pest/weed control area of the hardware store.......sawdust works great i get mine for free, as much as i want.....also works well to seed lawns with as it maintains moisture for the seeds to germinate, for wood chip mulch, go to Waste Knot on great northern, its more resonable that the bags i think, and yes the red looks nice but you gotta make sure its not paint, you can get veg based dyes and color it yourself if you want to....besides, buying the bagged stuff just adds more silly bags to trow out.

PS i cant friggin wait eihter, if nayone wants me toi build a pond just ask or some advice

i cant wait to build my new pond in the front yard with a fountain of sorts and maybea bird feeder on top (not sure how yet, will have to get fish to eat fallen seed, and then will have to be deeper and then froble have to mesh over the pond becasue some kid could fall in....littel crap heads shouldnt be in my front yard anyway

also filling in my pond in the bak yard and making a whole outdoor entertaining area wiht woodburning oven and above ground pond sink fridge the whole works (thats the plan at least, i can hope right)

yoda
03-22-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks Peety & will, I'll try those places

will
03-22-2009, 02:54 PM
i can advise one thing...againt the plastic pond, i have one and i will use again, but for the first one, spend the money and get the flexible liner, you will like it better, more work but it will be worth it,

#1 you can make your own design.

#2 you will probly want to change the look many times (i did dug 4 different ponds before settleing

#3 i dont have a reason but i know you will like it better

pennys pets, new north greenhouse, and animalia have pond liner in bulk on the roll sold byt the metre or foot or something, but if you want you can go with the precut stuff from home depot or canadian tire it works out to the same price or close to it..i think personaly its better to get the rolled stuff

actuallyt goin to canadian tire to price some out right now and get some peat pots and seeds

EyelashExtensions
03-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I might have to take my income tax and get a pond, I want one soooo bad! I have a bunch of plants started in my `greenroom`. I can`t wait either.

will
03-23-2009, 12:58 AM
peety go to coles station mall, in the good deals display there is a book called creating water gardens its 6.99 i picked one up its great i think i may havea pic of my first pond, i will look i have to get my pic of me and chef micheal smith off the sd card anyway

EyelashExtensions
03-23-2009, 02:23 AM
I got a free pond info kit from Pennys pets. Came with a dvd, magazine and flyers. They might have more now that spring is on it's way.

kitca
03-24-2009, 12:00 AM
im gonna throw in my 2 cents on ponds. i have 2 one little one from a preformed tub, and another larger one with a liner. the liner is much much much easier. if you have any gravel or roots to work around getting that preformed liner is so hard to be level (thats all we have is rock and roots).

the other thing is that everyone says go bigger. and they are/were right. those preformed ones are so small, at least with the liners you can get a bit bigger. even the bigger one is too small. i also did alot of research and for the protectant for the liner i used used carpetting instead of buying the underliner and saved some money that way. ive had mine in for6-7-8 years or so with no problems at all with the used carpetting.

i love how all the birds come to the pond and drink and bathe in it. for a couple of years i also had frogs come to the pond. its so wierd - right in the middle of downtown and frogs appear! but, the birds.... they just love it, it attracts so many of them.

also, check out that forum called gardenwebforums, there are several ones there about ponds and stuff. im sorry i dont have a direct link at this time, but trust me, and check them out.

will
03-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Pennys is a bit pricy, try animalia or new north green house when they open next month..trust me

Peety
05-27-2009, 08:46 PM
I am in the digging stages of my pond.
I been pricing out the liner ,,Its quite expensive,some places 200 dollars,
I have all the rocks and lilly pads.
I keep changing my mind!..I had it all done once.Where is a good place to buy fish?

I just bought a pond kit!