PDA

View Full Version : Intel Could Shut Down AMD's CPU Production Completely in Two Months

Hans
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Intel Corporation has sent notice to its chief competitor Advanced Micro Devices that it believes AMD has breached a patent cross-licensing agreement that the two reached in 2001. The agreement covered royalty payments by AMD in regards to aspects of the x86 instruction set used in CPUs, as well as foundry and production rights.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=14588

Madmax
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah so?

AMD holds the license rights to the X86-X64 bit (X64 = 2 x X86) and can pull those rights from Intel.

So we be left with AMD producing 64-bit technology and Intel only allowed to produce x86 technology.

I hope ppl will enjoy the 3GB limit of X86... :)

What a mess this will be if it came to this.

I am sure Intel's FAT HEAD will shrink soon and realize that they can't totally control the market while AMD is around.

Its like a Bully trying to instill fear into AMD.

0x7F0x450x4C0x46
03-16-2009, 07:41 PM
While it would be obviously ideal for Intel to avoid such a directly suffocating effort, x86-64 isn't the only 64-bit architecture in existence.

Cruel_Intentions
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
I think Intel's main concern here is that if the x86 licence is transferred outside of AMD (as the new foundry company is NOT part of AMD), then it may open the door for other companies to produce x86 chips. I don't think they are trying to revoke AMD's x86 licence completly. From what I can see, they are just as little mad that AMD didn't consult them and hasn't been responding to their communications.

If they were trying to revoke the licenece, then they wouldn't be trying to communicate with them to resolve the issue, it would be a much more legal matter.

Also, since X86-64 is a subset of the x86 licence, if Intel revoked AMD's X86 licence, wouldn't that also mean that AMD would loose it's right to produce x86-64 chips? I mean they are built upon eachother and there is no way that AMD would be able to prove in court that x86-64 does not contain ANY of Intel's x86 Intellectual Property. So it would look to me like we'd be back to the good ole days when both AMD and Intel would be coming out with new 64 bit formats and Microsoft would choose which format to back (just like before)

Cruel_Intentions
03-17-2009, 09:31 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-x86-cpu,7288.html

So the question comes down to, is GlobalFoundaries a true subsidary of AMD? Personally, I am not a legal/economic genius by any means, but I would have to say that they aren't. From the looks of it (the article), I would side with Intel in that investing in a company does not make it your subsidary, especially if you do not own %50 of the controlling shares (which it looks like AMD does not). Otherwise, I'm going to buy 1 share of Microsoft stock so I can tell the bank they are MY subsidary when I go to get my next mortage :P

Hans
03-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I think the biggest thing is that Intel wants to make sure the rights to their licensing agreement does not get sold off to a yet unknown competitor. They want to control the competition, and this is a good way to ensure they do.

Upper Decker
03-18-2009, 06:19 PM
intel must be on their monthly. they are currently suing nvidia as well because of licencing rights too. damn greedy SOB's

Madmax
03-22-2009, 08:11 AM
All i can say to add to this matter so far .... is when a giant gets to hungry they will starve.

What i mean is intel sooner or later will have to come to the conclusion of (do we sue and spend millions on this matter) or (do we allow it to continue). If they choose to sue they will starve themselves for money to keep going. If they allow it to continue they will be allowing (possible door openings of other competitors). The issue is intel wants it all and when a giant gets to hungry they will starve sooner or later.

Cruel_Intentions
03-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't see this as intel wanting it all. If they truely did want to be the only competitor in the market then they wouldn't be trying to work out deals with Amd and Nvidia and would instead focus their legal efforts on revoking any licences. I won't fault any one or any company for protecting what is truly their IP.

Hans
03-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Intel knows that CPU's with always be sold, no matter what. Intel is the biggest CPU and GPU maker in the world. It's clear they want to ensure it stays that way.