PDA

View Full Version : MY Rant. Go suck an Egg SSMPUC.

Quick Slice
03-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Okay, I don't really rant on here very much, nor do I really comment on many things on this board. However, I would like to bring up my PUC bill.

$513 for one dam month!

Does anyone else seem to have high PUC bills? I am not sure what yours is, obviously, but my dam bill is out of control! I live comfortably for myself and my family, the heat is usually on, not over 15, which is half way on my dial in my livingroom, and similar for my kitchen. Mostly all others are off until bed time, or just before bed time to take the chill off.. I feel we are being screwed so bad for this. There are many people that don't make much more than 700-800 Net every two weeks, and get stuck with these $500 PUC bills.

It's like I might as well be on welfare or something, because to keep reasonably warm in the shat weather is apparantly too much to ask for. You have to be the Queen of England to be comfortable around here... and be able to cover your costs. Ridiculous. Not to mention the bad economic times. What about the poor employees that are laid off, and are not getting much money in now-a-days.
And if you don't pay your bill, they'll cut you off. They don't give a @#$@#

I wish we could make a stand like that guy that bought JIFFY... or as if were were able to switch, like we could from Bell Phone, to Shaw Phone Services... ARGHAHGAH

comments?

Brookelynn
03-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah my bill was unusually high too. What is your bill normally roughly?

Chaotic Chick
03-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I have not had to pay PUC in a year and a half, but when I did I was paying an average of $350 or so per month and I thought THAT was a lot! That was with six people in a large four bedroom house.

I agree. I think we should have a choice who we use for power. $500 a month is a lot for most families these days!

Peety
03-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Wow that is crazy,,
Is that electric heat?
My bill is about 300 a month and we have oil hot water tank so our is alot more.
Sounds like it be about the same as what we pay, We are a family of 4.
We have 2 shops and the house,

Macs II
03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
My PUC bill was $260.00 and I have everything electric including the heat ....it's the highest I ever got in this house

Giggle Squirt
03-18-2009, 11:39 PM
OK my house holds heat like no tomorrow so if i have my furnace set at 15, the house stays at 19 or so just from the normal daily activities of cooking and laundry and people moving and such.... some days it will kick on like once or twice.. I have had my furnace off for 2 days now and it has been holding around 18 19.... anywho... last mont i got my puc bill and it was 286. My bills are never more then 130 in the winter time. We are never home and my hunny was showering at work so it was just me and the kids... So i called and aparently they just guessed at what my usage was.. well they doubbled it and i went out and read my meter to them and it was like half of what they billed me for so they did an adjustment on it.. So their is my long rambling story fo my puc bill... During the summer my bills are in the 60 to 100 dollar range... we are never home in the summer at camp or racing and dont' ahve ac or anything like that.

Quick Slice
03-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Well up until December, our bill ran up to no more than $300.

In January, it went to $428, which was sick enough..........
Feb, $500 also

And actually, now thinking of it, i was really trying to watch how high of a level we had the heat on at, (baseboard heating) so I don't know what else to say for it.

This truly sucks because we had all new windows installed lastyear.... seems like such a drag.
We live only in a 900sq.ft semi.. Like man! What can I do? I don't want to pay that. Should I wait for one of those cut off papers, and get community assistance trust to pay it off?? lol

Sunshine19
03-18-2009, 11:40 PM
that is insane. We have gas and have equal billing. Our PUC and gas bill together won't come close to that.

Brookelynn
03-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Thats bull**** that they are estimating your usage. How do they justify estimating a bill twice your normal amount? You should be charged for what you use only and it should be read only. Crock of **** that is.

Peety
03-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Well up until December, our bill ran up to no more than $300.

In January, it went to $428, which was sick enough..........
Feb, $500 also

And actually, now thinking of it, i was really trying to watch how high of a level we had the heat on at, (baseboard heating) so I don't know what else to say for it.

This truly sucks because we had all new windows installed lastyear.... seems like such a drag.
We live only in a 900sq.ft semi.. Like man! What can I do? I don't want to pay that. Should I wait for one of those cut off papers, and get community assistance trust to pay it off?? lol

I know people that heat with electric and the bill was close to 400. They were gone for 2 months and thats all that was on.

Giggle Squirt
03-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Thats bull**** that they are estimating your usage. How do they justify estimating a bill twice your normal amount? You should be charged for what you use only and it should be read only. Crock of **** that is.

i was talking to people at work and aparently it is quite common for them to guess the amount of usage.. they call it estimatedusage or avere of something.. anywho it is like doubble what we used... if you have you last bill, and what the read date and use was and then this bill what the usage was, then go check you meter... see if it is higher then your actual usage.

Super Gram
03-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Theres got to be something wrong. Maybe you should have someone check out all your elec outputs. We have a house and it's not even that high when we have our A/C on. That takes a lot of elec . Of course there are only 2 of us in the house, so that makes a big difference.

Super Gram
03-19-2009, 12:25 AM
BTW the PUC estimates it every second month but still charges you to read it.But of course they hide it somewhere. Union gas tells you

IMHO
03-19-2009, 12:36 AM
I find, even with a new high efficiency gas heating system, that my gas bills are way up this winter.PUC stayed about the same. They never read the meter for 2 months and then called me to complain they could not open the gate. They left no cards to fill out so i had to go down there with a bunch of numbers. What a pain.

bluekrissyspikes
03-19-2009, 01:43 AM
when they estimate, if it's over it gets corrected on your next bill when they actually do a reading. ours is almost $200 but our heat is gas and for some reason it's retardedly high, like $700 in the winter and $200 in the summer.

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 01:44 AM
water... electricity it gets used up

Macs II
03-19-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm so happy I have electric heat now ....with the money I'm saving I could buy a new car every 5 years http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/Macs20006/cheer2-1.gif

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm so happy I have electric heat now ....with the money I'm saving I could buy a new car every 5 years http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/Macs20006/cheer2-1.gif

dont you find electric heat dry for nose bleeds? i think oils better

Macs II
03-19-2009, 01:50 AM

and this effecting you how?

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 01:52 AM
and this effecting you how?

i see it on the bills

Macs II
03-19-2009, 01:53 AM
stop reading your moms mail

Misschix
03-19-2009, 01:53 AM
im so pissed to come home and see my bill
on the bill it lists 56 dollars for our water consumption, everything else is Electric with our reading being feb 27th, we have new windows, energy efficient washer and dryer, kids bathe every 2 days, I just dont understand ,,,like slice said our heat is MAYBE on 15, it is absolutely ridiculous,...Im calling tomorrow, the amount i have paid over the past few months I should have not paid 4400 for my windows to get done or bought 1800 energy effiecient washer and dryer...this is ridiculous

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 01:56 AM
stop reading your moms mail

http://www.mommiescamelot.com/forum/images/smilies/drink.gif

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Macs pays bills...

velle
03-19-2009, 04:11 AM
Me + wife + 2 adult kids = about $170-$200 per month. Gas heat and hot water.$500 per month seems insane.

Super Gram
03-19-2009, 06:50 AM
Must be a mistake on the meter:thumbs_down:

NewAgeGal
03-19-2009, 07:13 AM
My PUC bill stayed pretty well the same but my god my GAS BILL!! Jumped from $189 to $637 FOR ONE MONTH!! I'm going to demand they send somebody out to check the meter. No matter what, I'm going to have to pay it, and as somebody on a fixed income....that sucks alright. It's going to be a skinny month for groceries.

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 07:44 AM
It's going to be a skinny month for groceries.

:omg: dats no good

blueeyedgirl
03-19-2009, 08:46 AM
We have electric heat and keep our heat at about 23 degrees celcius and our bill this month was the highest at $263. It was a really cold month so i think this winter that will be my highest bill.

mags
03-19-2009, 09:16 AM
If your bill was estimated call them & get someone to read your meter. Have you thought of switching to equal billing?

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 09:22 AM
We have electric heat and keep our heat at about 23 degrees celcius and our bill this month was the highest at $263. It was a really cold month so i think this winter that will be my highest bill.

yes lots of burnt oil this winter

Konig-OV
03-19-2009, 09:44 AM
My highest was $350. I bought everyone electric blankets if they are cold. The blankets barely use 10-15watts of energy, compared to baseboard heaters 150-1500watts. My heat is always on 15, I have 3 floors, 3 bedroom, and it's always warm.

lynys
03-19-2009, 10:02 AM
When I was using Union Gas two years ago, I had myself on equal billing. Definitely worth doing it that way, as you never know how bad the winter months will be.

Anapeg
03-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Equal billing is the answer. It eliminates the "vicious dog" and the "drive not shoveled" reasons for estimating rather than actual reads.

someguy
03-19-2009, 10:43 AM
My PUC is read every month and is about $140 and my gas also read each month runs around $110. Two adults and 3 kids live here and the house was just built 4 months ago.

$Spendbender$
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, equal billing is the answer. I've never had anything but and never will. No suprises that way. Makes budgeting a breeze.

PUC $170 a month with partial electric heat. Gas is $200/mo for gas stove, 3 gas fireplaces, gas hot water heater. 2200 sq/ft house with 5 people.

gewgaw
03-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Is it worth it to change to Direct Energy maybe?

Wrangler35
03-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Okay, I don't really rant on here very much, nor do I really comment on many things on this board. However, I would like to bring up my PUC bill.

$513 for one dam month!

Does anyone else seem to have high PUC bills? I am not sure what yours is, obviously, but my dam bill is out of control! I live comfortably for myself and my family, the heat is usually on, not over 15, which is half way on my dial in my livingroom, and similar for my kitchen. Mostly all others are off until bed time, or just before bed time to take the chill off.. I feel we are being screwed so bad for this. There are many people that don't make much more than 700-800 Net every two weeks, and get stuck with these $500 PUC bills.

It's like I might as well be on welfare or something, because to keep reasonably warm in the shat weather is apparantly too much to ask for. You have to be the Queen of England to be comfortable around here... and be able to cover your costs. Ridiculous. Not to mention the bad economic times. What about the poor employees that are laid off, and are not getting much money in now-a-days.

I wish we could make a stand like that guy that bought JIFFY... or as if were were able to switch, like we could from Bell Phone, to Shaw Phone Services... ARGHAHGAH

comments?

That really sucks big time.....400..and 500 dollar bills for PUC alone...and on a limited budget...The genius government must have a program to cover a % of costs towards consumption of heat,electricity etc..Taking into account the amount of money you make...vs that one bill.I hope there is a rebate for the unusually high PUC bills you have been paying come income tax time!

All the best in getting to the cause of that bill and others relating to PUC...

Super Gram
03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
We are on equal billing too. PUC and Union Gas.....you pay PUC for 11 months and if its not paid..........you pay it on the 12th month.....works out very well

V Code
03-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Is it worth it to change to Direct Energy maybe?

Is it worth it to switch to a company run by scam artists? Wow that the winning question of the day. Why don't you sign that contract and tell us how it goes!

Koss
03-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I've saved a lot of money using an on-demand hot water heater powered by natural gas.

Konig-OV
03-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I checked my consumption in Februarys (Income tax season), and my usage is much higher than other months. I doubt because of income tax, they raise the bill.

I'm not on equal billing, I generally pay $400 a month when there is snow on the ground, and $200 when there isn't, then I never pay a bill in July and August. Beats equal billing, and then i have 2 months, I know i don't have to pay.

tasma
03-19-2009, 07:18 PM
I had started a thread of just this same thing not that long ago. My bill was $300/m and my equal billing was only 115.00 which left a huge difference every month. I was equally billed at $115/m because the previous owners were paying that amount. We moved in and the amount almost tripled and I was trying to find out why my bill was so high! I still haven't figured it out but at least its no just me!

lucky seven
03-19-2009, 08:03 PM
My bill was the highest this last month than it has ever been ($330). We are usually about $125 a month on average, yet when I asked about equal billing, I was told that my payments would be $240 - $250 per month. They said that way they would owe me at the end of the year and that most people when they know that the payments are the same all the time, usually end up using more than they would have used before being on equal billing. That way there isn't a huge amount being owed at the end of a year. I thought their explanation was ridiculous. I have one of those electronic readers at my door. They just have to drive by and use the little machine to get my numbers, they don't even have to come in the house or anything. That makes my bill an actual read every month, but often in the winter months they just estimate them. I know that my dad was having a problem with them just estimating his bills in the winter time and they told him that they only have to actually read the meters every couple of months. So in the winter, he has high bills, but then in the spring he gets 3 or 4 months that he doesn't pay at all.

Duke
03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Winter bills can certainly be expensive with electric heat.

For the sake of clarification, meters are read monthly (if the meter is accessible) it's a good idea to keep the path clear if you want a true reading.

Equal billing is usually a good idea to reduce the difference from month to month however the PUC tends to set the amount slightly higher to avoid a negative balance in August. The balance (if owing) is automatically withdrawn from your account and can be an unpleasant surprise if you don't pay attention to the balance.

If the meter is not accessible the estimate is based on historical usage plus 10% (not twice), of course usage does vary and the estimates are sometimes out of line.

There are alternatives to the provincial rates charged by PUC by signing with a retailer. Retailer rates tend to be much higher but offer long term stability, details are here http://www.energyshop.com/

Collection letters (after one month of non-payment) add another $30 to the bill.

Shawn
03-19-2009, 09:02 PM
K, I am not going to read everything so who knows if someone already said it... but you can request them to re-read you meter. Usually they only read it every few months and just assume your usage goes up in the winter... so if you have them re-read it, it might correct your bill.

V Code
03-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I had started a thread of just this same thing not that long ago. My bill was $300/m and my equal billing was only 115.00 which left a huge difference every month. I was equally billed at $115/m because the previous owners were paying that amount. We moved in and the amount almost tripled and I was trying to find out why my bill was so high! I still haven't figured it out but at least its no just me!

Wow. That's not good this summer you may get a big shock when you owe them a lot of money. Happened to me. Over $1000 because we used a lot more than the previous owners but were payng what they did

Duke
03-22-2009, 01:09 AM

$513 for one dam month!

comments?

Quick....Did you find out anything about your high bill? Are you with PUC or a retailer?

BAILEYDOG
03-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Koss did you buy your on demand system or rent it from reliant. I want to switch to one

bohd
03-22-2009, 10:43 AM

brilliant...

someguy
03-22-2009, 12:12 PM
brilliant...

maybe but I think it is also the whole truth too

gewgaw
03-22-2009, 12:14 PM
brilliant...

someones grumpy....

dodgegirl
03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
we lived in a 4 bedroom house on old garden river road 3 yrs ago and I have proof.. Our winter bills were anywhere from 650-800 a month for puc. yes it was electric heat. finished upstairs and down and at that time there was only 4 of us.. we moved to a small 3 bedroom home cause puc was killing us there and our puc is around 120-150 a month and there is 5 of us. but we have oil heat here.

Tutones
03-22-2009, 05:27 PM
10 years ago a two bedroom apartment with old baseboard heaters cost me over $400 a month for electric heat in the winter... that was before the prices went up. Electric heat sucks unless you have an extremely well insulated house with newer high efficiency heaters installed.