PDA

View Full Version : Hat Tip to the North

Slow
03-29-2009, 09:22 AM
"Canadian researchers have uncovered a vast electronic spying operation that infiltrated computers and stole documents from government and private offices around the world, including those of the Dalai Lama, The New York Times reported on Saturday.

In a report provided to the newspaper, a team from the Munk Center for International Studies in Toronto said at least 1,295 computers in 103 countries had been breached in less than two years by the spy system, which it dubbed GhostNet.

Embassies, foreign ministries, government offices and the Dalai Lama's Tibetan exile centers in India, Brussels, London and New York were among those infiltrated, said the researchers, who have detected computer espionage in the past.

They found no evidence U.S. government offices were breached.

The researchers concluded that computers based almost exclusively in China were responsible for the intrusions, although they stopped short of saying the Chinese government was involved in the system, which they described as still active."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090328/ts_nm/us_security_spying_computers

Anapeg
03-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Nice to know we're good for something other than maple syrup.

Slow
03-29-2009, 11:42 AM
Nice to know we're good for something other than maple syrup.

Let's not get carried away.

(that's a joke, for those of you that look to be offended at every turn)

Anapeg
03-29-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry, I lost my head.

Jack Butler
03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
Why, what's wrong with our maple syrup?

Slow
03-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Nuttin'

Jack Butler
03-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Good....that settles it.

Upper Decker
03-30-2009, 01:26 PM
how about the outrageous prices on the maple syrup? I know the stuff is delicious, but $11 for a 500ml container is highway robbery.

NewCasa
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
how about the outrageous prices on the maple syrup? I know the stuff is delicious, but $11 for a 500ml container is highway robbery.

So make your own - much cheaper that way I'm sure.

Barry Morris
03-30-2009, 02:38 PM
....They found no evidence U.S. government offices were breached.

That does not surprise me.

Slow
03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
That does not surprise me.

Your responses are much too long, and you explain things is way too much detail. Can you shorten them up?

BlueSky
03-30-2009, 02:56 PM
He is no doubt saying that it is wonderful that the US computers had such good security that they could not be breached!

Slow
03-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Why, yes he is!

Scoff
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM
He is no doubt saying that it is wonderful that the US computers had such good security that they could not be breached!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123914805204099085.html

"Cyberspies have penetrated the U.S. electrical grid and left behind software programs that could be used to disrupt the system, according to current and former national-security officials."

"The spies came from China, Russia and other countries, these officials said, and were believed to be on a mission to navigate the U.S. electrical system and its controls. The intruders haven't sought to damage the power grid or other key infrastructure, but officials warned they could try during a crisis or war."

No, of course the Americans are bullet-proof in cyber-space ... right Slow? I wouldn't be suprised if the US government also contested to removing their country's name from the list that was shown in the original post, the US government did not want to admit to invasion of government property but the public works property invasion was leaked. In fact, in the article above it states that US government property has been successfully breached. (65,000+ since 2006)

Don't worry ... we'll keep sending some of our brightest computer professionals your way to help you out.

Barry Morris
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
The USA is invulnerable.

To common sense, all to often.

Scoff
04-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Ya, white flag accepted.

Slow
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Ya, white flag accepted.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Shanny
04-08-2009, 10:27 PM
thats it I'm off Chinese food................OK not really, I'll just will stick to buffet

Barry Morris
04-09-2009, 08:41 AM

Ya, right.

More like, burgurlars seldom break into their own houses.

Madmax
04-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I think the world expecially governmnet organizations need to go back to the old days of paperwork and not computers for such secret documents.

Computer networks are to easy to break into and steal information.

Wrangler35
04-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Ya, right.

More like, burgurlars seldom break into their own houses.

In a good mood i see...Barry!

Scoff
04-13-2009, 11:07 AM
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Accepting defeat is being a big man ... good for you Slow.

Yep, I used your infamous "white flag accepted" line (lol, you do realize it's a common phrase right?), however unlike you I used it correctly and not just any chance I get. ;-)

Anapeg
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123914805204099085.htmlDon't worry ... we'll keep sending some of our brightest computer professionals your way to help you out.

We had better keep them supplied. If they can't protect us we are screwed. With present day equipment our military wouldn't put up much of a defense. Unless the U.S. is still willing to lend us uniforms, weapons and such. I not sure they would trust us with anything nuclear though.
Scenario; Russian nuclear sub has been submerged off the coast of Nova Scotia for eight months and we haven't noticed. One day the captain decides the crew needs some exercise and surfaces to allow all to go for a swim. Our navy notices ( hopefully within sight 'cause I'm not sure we have radar yet) and fires. The Russian commands "Dive dive dive". They go to periscope depth and he sees a cannon ball headed his way. "Initiate cannon ball procedure, now!" Sea mans response " You mean we have a cannon ball response?"
:omg:

Scoff
04-13-2009, 03:53 PM
We had better keep them supplied. If they can't protect us we are screwed. With present day equipment our military wouldn't put up much of a defense. Unless the U.S. is still willing to lend us uniforms, weapons and such. I not sure they would trust us with anything nuclear though.
Scenario; Russian nuclear sub has been submerged off the coast of Nova Scotia for eight months and we haven't noticed. One day the captain decides the crew needs some exercise and surfaces to allow all to go for a swim. Our navy notices ( hopefully within sight 'cause I'm not sure we have radar yet) and fires. The Russian commands "Dive dive dive". They go to periscope depth and he sees a cannon ball headed his way. "Initiate cannon ball procedure, now!" Sea mans response " You mean we have a cannon ball response?"
:omg:

Dude ... can I have some? It's been a while since I smoked that BC hydro. ;-)

Talking about network security capabilities and you relate that to physical protection somehow. hmm ...

I guess what you're trying to say is we should keep sending them the smarts so they can protect with the braun? That's a hail-mary pass for sure ... you related to Slow? Something tells me you are.

Want to pull something else out from left-field Ana or would you like to focus and stay on topic?

Anapeg
04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Sorry, I had thought I addressed your line which I quoted. We won't acknowledge them financially to do our bidding so they go elsewhere. That happens to be those who guard our butts, until we hopefully can take better care of ourselves.