PDA

View Full Version : vasectomy

Giggle Squirt
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
At what age can men have a vasectomy? Or is their even an age limit. I know when women they make you wait till 25 or so i was told.

bluekrissyspikes
04-02-2009, 02:11 AM
not sure if there's an age limit but most doctors require that you already have a few kids before they do it.

Sophie's_Mommy
04-02-2009, 11:07 AM
i dont know if there is a age limit, a friend of mine is 27 and he had his done after his 2nd son and he was about 22 yrs old..i think now a days it is up to you when you want it done for men and women..

kitty&mimi
04-02-2009, 01:14 PM
no age limit
they just make sure ur done with kids

Jst4u
04-02-2009, 01:42 PM
A vasectomy is reversible, isn't it?

$Spendbender$
04-02-2009, 01:54 PM
yes it is, but OHIP won't cover it.

It's very expensive..like about $5000. So make sure it's what you want.

DeleteAccout
08-11-2009, 12:05 PM
They're not 100% reversible either. It's a high chance but they wont say you will have a 100% of having a kid again

Jackie B
08-11-2009, 01:13 PM
After 3 years, a reversal has less than a 20% chance of taking. The man's body views the sperm as a foreign body and attacks it.

verotik66
09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
After 3 years, a reversal has less than a 20% chance of taking. The man's body views the sperm as a foreign body and attacks it.

heh thats my wifes job!

$Spendbender$
09-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I know a guy who has 5 kids with 3 wives.

Three of the kids came after 2 reversed vasectomies. Either the odds were with him or he's got some determined swimmers.

I told him he should just get a velcro closure on his :pwink:.

LettuceLady
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
My husband was 26 when he had it done. Make sure that this is what you truely, truely want. I was 23 and really wanted more kids a year later :(

TheManInBlack
09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
I love how its always women asking about this procedure. Always the same excuse too "It's safer and less of a procedure for men to get it" Well this is 2009

Laparoscopy:
Laparoscopic sterilization is one of the two most common methods of sterilization. Typically, you will be given general or regional anesthesia. Your surgeon will make a small incision, about half an inch long, in or bellow the belly button. A harmless carbon dioxide gas is injected into the abdomen, elevating the abdominal wall off of the pelvic organs and allowing your surgeon to get an unobstructed view as well as room to operate. Next, a laparoscope (a small, telescope-like instrument with a light) is inserted through the incision to view the tubes.
The surgeon then inserts a smaller device used to move, hold, and close off the fallopian tubes. This device could be inserted either through the laparoscope or through a second, tiny cut made just above the pubic hairline. The surgeon closes the fallopian tubes by using rings, clamps, clips, or by sealing them shut with an electric current (electrocautery). The laparoscope is withdrawn, and the surgeon will then suture the incision(s) closed.

A tubal laparoscopy procedure takes about 30 minutes. There is minimal scarring, and most women can go home the same day as the procedure.

Mini-Laparotomy:
Mini-laparotomy is the other most common method of sterilization. Most women opt to have this procedure done right after giving birth. For a mini-laparotomy (or "mini-lap"), gas and a laparoscope are not used. General or regional anesthesia is administered, then the surgeon makes a small incision at or above the pubic hairline. She then pulls the fallopian tubes up into or out of the incision, closes them off with a device that ties and cuts them (or seals them shut), puts the tubes back into place, and stitches the incision shut.
Women generally recover in a few days.

Mini-laparotomy is usually the tubal ligation option of choice for those who just went through childbirth. If this procedure is done within 48 hours of delivery, the incision is made below the belly button (instead of at the pubic bone) because the fallopian tubes are higher in the abdomen right after pregnancy.

Many surgeons prefer to perform a tubal ligation shortly after childbirth because you are already in the hospital, the abdominal wall is relaxed, and pregnancy has pushed the top of your uterus near your belly button (where the incision needs to be made). This allows for easier access to the fallopian tubes.

b&aMom
09-04-2009, 04:50 PM
My husband's, back in 98, was a quick little office procedure, with a very small incision. Cost all of about $75 (different province). He was about 22, and we'd just had our second child. No problems for the doc doing it at that age.