PDA

View Full Version : Building on Cathcart/John

Oscar_Leroy
04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Does anybody here know what is happening with that abandoned building on the corner of John and Cathcart. It's been sitting there abandoned for years now, I'm pretty sure its vacant because of a fire.... Just curious

Madmax
04-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't know, but is there not a real estate name on it?

FBI
04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
they worked on it just to make it look good it should be torn down. but you know the powers to be,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GRUMPY
04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
the owner of it has more important things on his mind at the moment as he is very ill .

soosucks
04-06-2009, 12:42 AM
many years ago, that place caught fire. then boarded up for a couple years...
it went for sale...then someone bought it. did some work, then abandoned it for the last 2-4 years

Jackie B
04-06-2009, 12:52 AM
I live about 5 houses down from there. My husband actually videotaped it burning down, because we hated that place. It was vacant and attracted mice to our area, and when it was lived in, it was by creepers and druggies. We were glad to see it go. There was an order in place to fix it up (I believe by the city), and they started the work, but never got back to it after that particular winter, and as far as I can tell, have never been back since.

gewgaw
04-06-2009, 02:01 AM
that place caught fire

now is that surprising...

Wrangler35
04-06-2009, 07:51 AM
the owner of it has more important things on his mind at the moment as he is very ill .

Do hope the person your talking about Grumpy...manages to get back on his or her feet..The guy who bought the old school across from the hard wok...ended tearing it down..and has the place listed for sale..I'm sure he lost a lot of money..How many yrs worth of taxes alone! I was tempted to help him remove the debris...

Oscar_Leroy
04-06-2009, 08:47 AM

I guess that explains why is hasn't been touched. Hopefully all goes well for this man. I used to live pretty much right across the street from that building. Now I live just up the street from it, and it often sparks my curiosity when I walk or drive by it.

kitca
04-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Do hope the person your talking about Grumpy...manages to get back on his or her feet..The guy who bought the old school across from the hard wok...ended tearing it down..and has the place listed for sale..I'm sure he lost a lot of money..How many yrs worth of taxes alone! I was tempted to help him remove the debris...

he was a lawyer from here in town, but i cant remember his name. he sold plenty of the old pieces of that place. i got several of the corbeils and another gentleman got the rest of them. i dont know what else he was able to sell from there, but it was a very cool old building, he took me on a tour of it. he had pretty well taken everything down on the inside, right down to the curved beams of the old church they built the building around.

Wrangler35
04-06-2009, 09:07 AM
he was a lawyer from here in town, but i cant remember his name. he sold plenty of the old pieces of that place. i got several of the corbeils and another gentleman got the rest of them. i dont know what else he was able to sell from there, but it was a very cool old building, he took me on a tour of it. he had pretty well taken everything down on the inside, right down to the curved beams of the old church they built the building around.

Now,you have my curiosity..I have never been in that building...Is there any web page i can go to,and see some inside pic(s)? Sad..sad he had to tear it down,and extremly sad our city fore-fathers in their collective wis-dom...never legally made an effort to restore the building...Extremly SAD!

kitca
04-06-2009, 01:07 PM
no web site that i know of. i didnt have a camera or even think to take pics. i was driving by and saw them there at the building and asked if i could snoop. my dad grew up in that area and he would love to reminise over old photos of that building, if you hear of any ever please let me know.

Wrangler35
04-06-2009, 01:36 PM
no web site that i know of. i didnt have a camera or even think to take pics. i was driving by and saw them there at the building and asked if i could snoop. my dad grew up in that area and he would love to reminise over old photos of that building, if you hear of any ever please let me know.

OK...what was the name of that school...and what was it before the school was build around it..I would love to know the history..I bet if i went to the museum..on Queen st.there might be pictures there etc..Thank's Kitca...

kitca
04-06-2009, 02:10 PM
it was called st. ignace (pronounced st. ignatious) it was a church then a seperate school, i think the name has always been the same. it was a french church and school run by nuns. then the new st. ignace church was built (now st. vincent de paul). it might have been part of the school board offices for awhile in its last years.

Dragonfly
04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
hmm neat i didnt know that

Andre
04-06-2009, 02:39 PM
That was originally the french part of town. From about Gore/Chathcart down to Huron. Between Albert and Wellington by the Underpass.
The Jewish then were primarily south west of there, but were some in the area to Bruce "Beth Temple" and of course the Italians went west from there. This from what my father told me was circa. the 30's or 40's as far as I know