PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsible Dog Owner

4caster
04-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I want to post a rant about an irresponsible dog owner I “met” yesterday down on the boardwalk. I was walking with my wife and baby girl in the stroller and had my dog on a short leash. It was a beautiful day and there were other families there with small children. This dog owner had a black lab on a long retractable leash extended about 10 feet. His animal was allowed to charge my dog, growling and baring teeth essentially unrestrained even though it was on the leash. I was able to move my dog away from the situation even though this other dog continued to growl/bark while pursuing us. This guy did nothing to restrain his animal. No pull back, no command. What a friggin, menace. All the while there were small children and families in the area.

I don’t blame the dog, this is all on the owner! This poor animal obviously is not exercised regularly, was not socialized and is not trained properly. We met some very nice people yesterday, many of them dog owners without incident. If you are this dog’s owner, take a class and get control of your animal!

IMHO
04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Wow...thats a terrible situation that the dog owner put you and your family in. It seems it only takes one to ruin things. I have walked my dog everyday at beautiful Bellevue park all winter and met many dogs and their owners. I am happy to report that there was never an incidence. The dogs and their walkers always get to know one another over the course of the winter and its a great outing for the dog and me.

TPK
04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
What kind of dog do you have Thinking? I take my dog to Bellview in the winter too.

Striker
04-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm glad you were able to recognise the problem.Not many would blame the owner,but the dog.

With all the great technology and advancements we have aquired and gained through hard work they have yet found the technology to remove the stupid gene from many of our population.....perhaps there's still hope for this in the future.

SusyQ
04-06-2009, 11:40 AM
The owner should have a muzzle. I hate people who can't restrain their pets.

GRUMPY
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
they think that their dogs are cute I guess.

Oscar_Leroy
04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Anybody who knows me knows where I stand on this.. I can't stand it when Dog owners can't control or don't think they need to control their animal. Its plain stupid to let a dog charge like that as it could cause a lot of trouble for both the animals and any bystanders.

dancingqueen
04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I have a real hate-on for irresponsible dog owners... I live right between 2 people who think that leaving their dogs off leash is really cool
This person probably thinks they know their dog is all lip, and no action... and maybe it is, but the owner should be respectful of other people and their dogs.
people think they know their dogs, but they forget that although domesticated they still have wild feral instincts and as a result are very unpredictable creatures.

IMHO
04-06-2009, 02:12 PM
to TPK......Australian Shepherd..blue merle

GRUMPY
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
does your's do that silly grin too?

Macs II
04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I hate dogs and stupid dog owners http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q104/Macs20006/girl_werewolf.gif

Jst4u
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Nothing a boot to the face won't fix... :)

Anapeg
04-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm glad you were able to recognise the problem.Not many would blame the owner,but the dog.

With all the great technology and advancements we have acquired and gained through hard work they have yet found the technology to remove the stupid gene from many of our population.....perhaps there's still hope for this in the future.

There is always hope but barring that it's called thinning the herd.

tasma
04-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Its definitely the owner and not the dog. I have a rotti that is generally sweet and gentle but don't come into my house unannounced and just walk in if she is there and doesn't know you watch out. She is generally well behaved in public and I make sure I keep her on a short leash when other people or dogs are around, she loves kids though I don't understand but anyway. I never trust a dog I don't know and I just hope people teach their kids the same don't just plow up to a dog and expect the dog to be friendly and happy.

BlueSky
04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I LOVE watching and learning from the Dog Whisperer. I think every dog owner should be forced to watch an entire season's worth.

GRUMPY
04-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I never trust a dog I don't know and I just hope people teach their kids the same don't just plow up to a dog and expect the dog to be friendly and happy.

My pet peeve, I just wish people would teach their kids the proper way to approach a dog and how to pet it. If the dog bites it could be a matter of life or death for the dog. My dog just adores kids and all people in general however who knows what might happen if he gets startled? I doubt very much if anything would happen but you never know.

GRUMPY
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
I LOVE watching and learning from the Dog Whisperer. I think every dog owner should be forced to watch an entire season's worth.

I find that with him and the other dog trainers on tv that there are things that I agree with and others that are a load of crap, however all in all he isn't too bad.

Giggle Squirt
04-06-2009, 05:39 PM
i encountered the same person. I was down on the board walk yesterday with my two chi's

dancingqueen
04-06-2009, 06:29 PM

He seems to be pretty good for a dog owner that has absolutely no understanding of Dog behavior, so yes, most dog owners should watch this. But I agree with Grumpy that some things he does or says are a little un-necessary provided you have a basic-to-moderate understanding of dog behavior.

Oscar_Leroy
04-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I find that with him and the other dog trainers on tv that there are things that I agree with and others that are a load of crap, however all in all he isn't too bad.

I agree 100%. Some of his stuff makes a lot of sense, and some does seem like a bunch of bull.

really?
04-06-2009, 07:34 PM
I have had to do that. Last summer my Mom and I were walking down the camp road. Two ladies and an unleashed lapdog were coming the other way. The dog ran towards us snarling and nipping at our ankles. The owners yelled from a distance "don't worry - she's friendly". After being nipped 3 times between us I booted the dog into the ditch. I can't tell you who was more upset - us or them. Cops were called. I showed them the rip marks in my pants. Nothing came of it. Damn renters...people who live there know better.

Oscar_Leroy
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I can't stand dog owners that don't feel the need to leash their dogs at all. The other day, since it was nice out my wife and I decided to take a walk around the block with two of our dogs.. not even 2 minutes or half a block later we have loose dogs running at us. This was on a fairly busy street also. I honestly don't understand this, why would a person even want to take the chance of their dog getting hit by a car because tying the dog up is apparently way too much work to bother doing.

Barry Morris
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I'd have kicked the other dog's face in, then hoped the owner gave me balls about it. Then I'd have punched his face in.

It wouldn't be the first time I've had to smarten someone up in exactly that manner.

In todays world, I'd be a little more cautious. Handguns aren't that hard to get.

Macs II
04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
dogs shouldn't be out in the public ..they're nothing but nuisance

Oscar_Leroy
04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
dogs shouldn't be out in the public ..they're nothing but nuisance

I don't see how... as long as owners are responsible with their dogs I really don't see a problem.

Giggle Squirt
04-06-2009, 07:47 PM
my dogs listen to me, and they will walk with me without a leash. do i do that when we go for a walk? no, even though i know they will listen to me 99% of the time, their is still that 1% chance that they will let their instincts get the best of them. Also becaue they are so little, they can get hurt/stepped on easily if they were to be loose, I let them loose in my back yard when i am out their with them, they need to run. Even when i am at the beach or at camp, the dogs are still tied.

4caster
04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
i encountered the same person. I was down on the board walk yesterday with my two chi's

I didn't see you down there; I hope you didn't have the same experience. We have a Golden Retriever. Daisy is a beautiful dog and just loves to play. We'll be back as the weather gets nicer.

Giggle Squirt
04-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Yep dog started running towards us and barking. We didn't stay down their long, the wind was to strong for the baby and the dogs. I hope it gets less windy out soon. I love walking my dogs down their. Well, one walks and drags the other. My girl likes to run, and i have a leash that hooks them together so i only have one lead. well she runs and drags her brother, he likes to stroll. She likes to sniff everything and play.

Oscar_Leroy
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, one walks and drags the other. My girl likes to run, and i have a leash that hooks them together so i only have one lead. well she runs and drags her brother, he likes to stroll. She likes to sniff everything and play.

That sounds like quite the adventure.

Giggle Squirt
04-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Yep she wears the pants in their relationship. If i give him a treat and i break it and give him the bigger piece, she will growl at him and he iwll drop the bigger piece she will take it and give him the smaller piece. If he pre warms his bed, and get up she will go and lay in it and growl at him and he will have to go and lay in her bed, which is cold.

Striker
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
I'd have kicked the other dog's face in, then hoped the owner gave me balls about it. Then I'd have punched his face in.

It wouldn't be the first time I've had to smarten someone up in exactly that manner.

Some people just shouldn't have a pet; negligent dumb ****s.

Was he in a wheelchair or just walking with a cane?

GRUMPY
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM

Some people just shouldn't have a pet; negligent dumb ****s.

Ya, I bet;just another Soonet loser who is afraid of their own shadow. You should try coming out into the real world sometime instead of dreamsville you never know you might just like it.

breeder
04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Ya, I bet;just another Soonet loser who is afraid of their own shadow. You should try coming out into the real world sometime instead of dreamsville you never know you might just like it.

Here here! +1 for grumpy

Super Gram
04-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Lets give him +2