PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with todays youth?

onefortheroad
04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
CITY POLICE

NEWS RELEASE

Two males aged 13 and 14 will appear in court on May 5 charged with one count of mischief each.

Yesterday, the accused were apprehended by Station Mall security after they were observed taking bricks from a garden display at the mall entrance and throwing them into the river.

Damage is estimated at $300.

Add
04-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I blame today's adults.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I think taking bricks from a display and throwing it in the river is bad, but look at what other 13-14 year olds are doing. Breaking into houses/garages/sheds/vehicles. They are ganging up and beating other kids in parking lots. I don't condone their actions, but it is pretty ignorant to say "what is wrong with the today". Kids have been acting like this for years. Just because you can say "I remember when I was younger, we never did this stuff", but check your listings, because there were/are kids that did it when you were their age.

We need to be like Singapore, give them canings when they act up.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
But yes, ADD hit the nail right on the head. I to blame today's adults. They have long since forgotten the way kids should grow up. Leaving the kids with the tv/xbox/playstation as the babysitter.

dancingqueen
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
I think it's pretty tame compared to 30 something or 40 something shooting each other in the kneecaps or driving into buildings...
just some perspective :/

onefortheroad
04-07-2009, 10:17 AM
I think taking bricks from a display and throwing it in the river is bad, but look at what other 13-14 year olds are doing. Breaking into houses/garages/sheds/vehicles. They are ganging up and beating other kids in parking lots. I don't condone their actions, but it is pretty ignorant to say "what is wrong with the today". Kids have been acting like this for years. Just because you can say "I remember when I was younger, we never did this stuff", but check your listings, because there were/are kids that did it when you were their age.

We need to be like Singapore, give them canings when they act up.

sorry if I came across as ignorant but I grew up respecting peoples property! I do agree that it is partially the parents fault but at the age of 13 14 you should know what is wrong and right. As far as canings I never laid a hand on my 12 and 13 year old because fixing a problem with beating someone does not send the right message. I think kids today aren't as mature as when we grew up because they are spoiled and even at 13-14 there parents treat them like they are still babies.

Babzz
04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I know what wrong with them!! Too many of them are raising themselves in my opinion!! No morals and do not know that there are consequences to thier actions

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
sorry if I came across as ignorant but I grew up respecting peoples property! I do agree that it is partially the parents fault but at the age of 13 14 you should know what is wrong and right. As far as canings I never laid a hand on my 12 and 13 year old because fixing a problem with beating someone does not send the right message. I think kids today aren't as mature as when we grew up because they are spoiled and even at 13-14 there parents treat them like they are still babies.

I didn't mean igorance as rude, I meant it as lack of knowledge. It is the parents duty not to lay a hand on their kids, I will not do this to my kids nor do I support it in other children. What I do support is, when the parents don't dicipline their kids, and they are caught by law enforcement, then I do believe in canings.

Anapeg
04-07-2009, 10:42 AM
But yes, ADD hit the nail right on the head. I to blame today's adults. They have long since forgotten the way kids should grow up. Leaving the kids with the TV/Xbox/PlayStation as the babysitter.

Blaming the parents isn't totally correct. While some do lack parenting skills I firmly believe the courts and bleeding heart liberals have hand cuffed parents. Time outs and "Johnny, please use your inside voice" don't cut it. Chastising when a smack on the arse is called for falls way short of reinforcement, negative or otherwise. Respect is learned literally and figuratively at the hand of the parent.
The parent has to reinforce better behaviour by their actions as well. As for the electronic baby sitter thing don't get me started, or out comes the soap box. Then you will be sorry.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM
I just don't believe in the 'electronic' babysitter. I love how parents rally against big tv networks about the content, and how their kids should not be seeing it. It should be the parents responsibility to not sit their kids infront of the idiot box all day.

NewCasa
04-07-2009, 10:53 AM
These are kids who tossed some bricks into the water. Didn't any of you do things like that when you were young? I really hope they're not too hard on these kids and no, I don't blame the parents - it's just a kid thing to do. I doubt they gave the legal ramifications a thought - they just saw the bricks and, given that the water's finally cleared thought 'wow - those will make REALLY BIG splashes!'

Soo Today asks what the punishment should be - well I think it's obvious, they should have to work off the $300, providing free labour to the retailer - much like if they'd broken a neighour's window with a stray baseball.

I'm convinced this was not malicious - just a couple of kids who did something dumb.

dancingqueen
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I totally agree NoCassa... this is like Dennis the Menace caliber... people need to chill out

EyelashExtensions
04-07-2009, 10:58 AM
I remember doing stuff like that when I was a young. Pretty much all of us in our class did. We would hang out, play knicky knocky nine doors, throw eggs at cars(Devils night), TP other friends parents places, rearrange peoples lawn decoration(to other peoples yards). The list is endless! Is it right no, but kids are mischievous at times at least they aren't getting caught with drugs or pulling an armed robbery. Way to many kids are growing up way to fast. These teens would be the least of my concern.

NewCasa
04-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I totally agree NoCassa... this is like Dennis the Menace caliber... people need to chill out

Hah! See DQ - THIS is original sin!! lol

dancingqueen
04-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Now do you get it? ;) lol

SIMBA
04-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Want it to stop? Break their hands. Problem solved.

dancingqueen
04-07-2009, 11:10 AM
*cricket* *cricket*

kitca
04-07-2009, 11:14 AM
i come from a recreation background and i firmly believe that there isnt enough for the youth to do in this city. not talking about the middle class and better who can afford it, but the ones who cant afford it or dont have a vehiicle to drive their kids all over or even the parents who dont care what their kids are up to.

if there was something constructive for the kids to do on their own maybe they wouldnt be so bored and get into bad stuff. i know we had the teen centre and i think it is too bad its gone, but i also think you have to catch kids when they are younger than teens. once they reach the teens they are past the rec centre thing.

in other cities i have lived there are community rec centres either utulizing part of the school or another building with a gym. there are free activities (free or very affordable) there are pick up sports of all kinds, crafts, clubs, dances... for all ages. the kids start young and just stay with their group doing stuff they enjoy. so many kids used these programs and did things that they would never get a chance to do otherwise because their families couldnt afford it or didnt have the time or whatever, but the kids loved it and were 'good'.

i thing the youth in our city is bored. and thats not the whole cure, of course what others are saying too, disipline, kids raising kids, lack of knowledge, all that other stuff too.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
They have student bus fare rates, so travel is not an issue. Sure this is minor, but look in the long run. Stealing property from peoples yards to relocate them to another is theft. Throwing eggs and TP'ing is vandalism. Knocking on peoples doors and running is harmless. There is no excuse.

Andre
04-07-2009, 11:19 AM
These are kids who tossed some bricks into the water. Didn't any of you do things like that when you were young? I really hope they're not too hard on these kids and no, I don't blame the parents - it's just a kid thing to do. I doubt they gave the legal ramifications a thought - they just saw the bricks and, given that the water's finally cleared thought 'wow - those will make REALLY BIG splashes!'

Soo Today asks what the punishment should be - well I think it's obvious, they should have to work off the $300, providing free labour to the retailer - much like if they'd broken a neighour's window with a stray baseball.

I'm convinced this was not malicious - just a couple of kids who did something dumb.

OK, I'm going to say it: Why when I was a boy

but seriously, this is just kids. Kids do stupid things and don't even realize that they're doing it.

Now about what is wrong with today...
Why when I was boy the cops didn't arrests kids for doing stuff like this because the parents dealt with it.
Bad was getting caught by the cops. Worse was having them take you home to your dad because both you and the cops knew that that was far worse than arresting you and sending you to court.
Hell I even had one cop apologize to me while taking me home because he knew my dad.

Macs II
04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I can't believe that some people defend these teens....no wonder so many kids are so screwed up now a days.

If these were 5-7 year olds, yes I would say they were just being kids.
13-14 year old's know better and should be responsible for their own action.

04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I demand justice!!! Teens are not bad people and right now i'm wilddd!! I will defend teens even if they... Still! I know teens who are criminals! I don't care! It's not bad!

8th
04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
go to school

Scoff
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Geez, chill out ... throwing bricks in the river is NOTHING!

I'd agree that kids today "seem" a little more out of control but to use the brick throwing incident seems laughable at best. That was just a "boys will be boys" type of thing ... nothing worth getting all stuffy about.

Realize too when most of the people here (on the board) were growing up that Internet news was not available etc etc. We see and hear more about things today because of the advancement in communications.

bluekrissyspikes
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
i think what they did was disrespectful but like others said, it wasn't all that bad and they could have been doing much worse things.

Andre
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Ticdov GTFO -->
This soapbox is no place for you or anyone to use logic or common sense!

Macs II
04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Geez, chill out ... throwing bricks in the river is NOTHING!

I'd agree that kids today "seem" a little more out of control but to use the brick throwing incident seems laughable at best. That was just a "boys will be boys" type of thing ... nothing worth getting all stuffy about.

Realize too when most of the people here (on the board) were growing up that Internet news was not available etc etc. We see and hear more about things today because of the advancement in communications.

yeah right and let's see how you feel next week when the same kids break into your car or home

Peety
04-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I can't believe that some people defend these teens....no wonder so many kids are so screwed up now a days.

If these were 5-7 year olds, yes I would say they were just being kids.
13-14 year old's know better and should be responsible for their own action.

I agree Macs,, They know better!!!

04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm Not happy. I expected Better from you people. I am at School, people. I'm not a skipper.

If anyone has anything to say about me, then say it. I DARE YOU.

Andre
04-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I would kid but I need soonet right now and don't want to be banned.

04-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't either. I regret my attitude.

8th
04-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm Not happy. I expected Better from you people. I am at School, people. I'm not a skipper.

If anyone has anything to say about me, then say it. I DARE YOU. 1. we aren't here to make you happy. 2. your expectations are to high 3. then do school work 4. are you gilligan then?

NewCasa
04-07-2009, 12:09 PM

Did I miss something? Are you one of the kids in question? When did this thread become about you?

04-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Please, Forgive me.. Ok. I've done wrong. OK. I stirred constreversy. I'm sorry. From the bottom of my heart. And it's lunch time, acdc.

MaO3
04-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Its not the value of the bricks it that they vandalized the property.

I would make them pay for the cost of replacing the bricks and make them provide the labour to repair the damage to the flower garden.

Teach them that there is a consequence to their actions.

I don't think that they need to go to jail or be publicly cained.

Madmax
04-07-2009, 03:12 PM
CITY POLICE

NEWS RELEASE

Two males aged 13 and 14 will appear in court on May 5 charged with one count of mischief each.

Yesterday, the accused were apprehended by Station Mall security after they were observed taking bricks from a garden display at the mall entrance and throwing them into the river.

Damage is estimated at $300.

Wow what is wrong with trying to skip some bricks?

I rather use the rocks around that area, but hey at least these kids were trying something new for that area.. :)

Yes of course ppl what they did was not right as it is destruction to private property, but i have to hand it to them for trying brick skipping... LOL

Madmax
04-07-2009, 03:15 PM
But yes, ADD hit the nail right on the head. I to blame today's adults. They have long since forgotten the way kids should grow up. Leaving the kids with the tv/xbox/playstation as the babysitter.

Yeah lets beat em all and abuse the women while were at it so we can make sure kids don't grow up like this.

WAITTTTTTTTTT WIC AND CAS AND AFS would get involved then,

WAITTTTTTTTTT wtf... they should of done so by now for these brick skippers.

WAITTTTT .. whats wrong here .... the parents probably brought these childen up right and these teens decided to try something out of the norm... is something wrong with that?

Is it the adults today that is the issue or it is the LAWS that prevent parents in doing what some kids just need..... TUFF LOVE.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Max, do you leave by your microwave while it is on at night?

Madmax
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Max, do you leave by your microwave while it is on at night?

Did you mean "LIVE" by your microwave at night?

Never as it affects my brainwaves and distorts them in a way that i would start to think irrational and be blamed for all of societies issues, overall its a bad thing to leave your microwave on at night as you are burning electricity for no reason at all and you could potentially destroy your microwave... :) :)

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Actually I meant sleep by your microwave. Your posts hurt to read, so i was temporarily out of it. You should really try to stop sounding intelligent when you are posting, I can see the effort, but you just confuse.

Madmax
04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Actually I meant sleep by your microwave. Your posts hurt to read, so i was temporarily out of it. You should really try to stop sounding intelligent when you are posting, I can see the effort, but you just confuse.

Sleep, Live = similar thing.

As for posting in my way of posting it is only confusing to those who can't understand what it is i am saying. I hate typing in laymans terminology as that only brings the worst out of me and many have seen that on here already.. ask AC/DC about that.. :) . Therefore i will post in my higher educated terminology for those who do understand it and will interpret it properly.

Its unfortunate you don't understand what it is i am saying, but just ask me about what it is you don't understand and i will try to explain it further.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
You grammar skills are deplurable, and you use words out of context and total meaning. Which higher education you are talking about? Grade 5?

tired-n-cranky
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM

You don't learn do you?

Madmax
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
You grammar skills are deplurable, and you use words out of context and total meaning. Which higher education you are talking about? Grade 5?

Well it is much higher then college terminology or sentencing. You must read and interpret what the meaning of my statements truly mean and not the grammar interpertation of the sentences.

I have great grammar skills, but wish not to use them 90% of the time while posting on soonet as it would confuse many on here worse then they are confused now.

I never use words out of context or without a meaning behind the words or statement. Refer to my first short paragraph in this post for more information.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Gr. 5 must've been the best 3 years of your life.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 04:14 PM
To everyone who likes to stay on topic. Give your kids a hug, spend time with them, because MadMax is a perfect example of what happens if you don't.

Madmax
04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Gr. 5 must've been the best 3 years of your life.

3 years, umm you claim something that is not true and i wish to rectify your claim.

It most certainly was not 3 years, but in fact i skipped grade 5 and went on to grade 6 and i did all subseqent years 1 at a time.

Madmax
04-07-2009, 04:16 PM
To everyone who likes to stay on topic. Give your kids a hug, spend time with them, because MadMax is a perfect example of what happens if you don't.

Really now, what is the planned derainged attack you are taking out on me?

You want to play your game or do you wish for me to finish your kid like game now?

By the way it is you who took this off topic, you manipulative individual.

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
No such word "derainged", you might want to rectify that first. Also refer to post #37, you are the one who went off track by going on a wild tangent and manipulating what I had said into your own twisted phrase. Also, you used manipulative in the wrong context again. (I did not, nor plan on manipulating anything, there for calling a manipulative individual is wrong).

Konig-OV
04-07-2009, 04:25 PM
*crickets* Did you call your parents in from the next room to help you with the big words?

Madmax
04-07-2009, 04:33 PM
No such word "derainged", you might want to rectify that first. Also refer to post #37, you are the one who went off track by going on a wild tangent and manipulating what I had said into your own twisted phrase. Also, you used manipulative in the wrong context again. (I did not, nor plan on manipulating anything, there for calling a manipulative individual is wrong).

No such word as derainged, umm you must be derainged not to know that there is such a word.

I posted in post #37 which was a reply to your post in which you wish to blame the adults for what those teens did.

I think you misunderstand a lot of things people say including what it is i am saying and it is unfortunate you don't have the education to do so, but like i stated you should ask me what it is that you don't understand instead of posting insults towards me like a child would do when they don't understand what is told to them.

You stated:

"To everyone who likes to stay on topic. Give your kids a hug, spend time with them, because MadMax is a perfect example of what happens if you don't."

This is your best try so far at trying to control and manipulate this topic and the users within it to fully believe that you like to stay on topic in which you did not. You also tried to decieve all those who are readying this thread into thinking that some how i was not loved as a child and never was hugged by my mom or dad or that they never spent enough time with me. You then went on to say that if such individuals do not do so to their children, they would turn out like me.

Well i have to state it is very hard for anyone to turn out like me as i am beyond the normal individual in thinking and i don't mean crazy like, but infact i am superior to many ppl in intelligence.

Madmax
04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
*crickets* Did you call your parents in from the next room to help you with the big words?

Parents where?

Are you refering to your sisters name "Cricket" or is this a pet name for your grandma?

tired-n-cranky
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Omg enough already you two!

Madmax
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Omg enough already you two!

Yes dad, i will forgive you if you forgive me.. :)

Now don't take those powers of abuse to your head now.

04-07-2009, 05:14 PM
I think you meant deranged there Steve.

BigDreams
04-07-2009, 06:00 PM
3 years, umm you claim something that is not true and i wish to rectify your claim.

It most certainly was not 3 years, but in fact i skipped grade 5 and went on to grade 6 and i did all subseqent years 1 at a time.

If I was your teacher I'd want to get rid of you too.

I agree with whoever said tough love/beating your kid is giving them permission to beat their kids, wives, etc..
What teenagers need is love period. There are ALOT of parents who just aren't around for their kids, or for some reason their kids won't confide in them and turn to people who get them in trouble.

Teenagers are no more troublesome then they were 30 years ago-again like others have said. It's a part of growing up.

04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
hahaha You can't change problem teens with a hug. You have to nip it in the butt when they are younger.

BigDreams
04-07-2009, 06:09 PM
No, but a kid is less likely to act out if they aren't trying to seek attention-which usually comes from absent parents. Of course like I said alot is just human nature-not all, but alot of teens are going to expirement and test their boundries.

Disciplin is a wonderful thing and more parents should do it. That doesn't mean a parent, who the kid should beable to trust, smacking the kid around. That causes fear and lack of trust.

MaO3
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Teenagers are no more troublesome then they were 30 years ago-again like others have said. It's a part of growing up.

You can't possibly be serious? I was a teenager 30 years ago and we didn't do anywhere near the crap that teens are doing now. We weren't angels but the crap kids pull these days not a chance.
We all knew we'd get are butts kicked by our parents if we got in trouble. We had a healthy respect for the law, at least my friends and I did.

04-07-2009, 06:14 PM
There it is! "WE". There is a lot you probably didn't hear about. My dad said when he was a teenager him and his friends did A LOT WORSE than I could imagine.

BigDreams
04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
My parents were **** disturbers growing up. More then once they have commented on how mature teenagers are these days because of the pressure put on them (jobs, school, college/uni etc.).
Which I think it also the reason some kids 'loose it' and rebel for no reason. They usually clean up their act pretty fast though.

Huggy85
04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Please, Forgive me.. Ok. I've done wrong. OK. I stirred constreversy. I'm sorry. From the bottom of my heart. And it's lunch time, acdc.

Pray tell, smart one, what is a "constreversy"?

heintzman
04-08-2009, 12:47 AM
i come from a recreation background and i firmly believe that there isnt enough for the youth to do in this city. not talking about the middle class and better who can afford it, but the ones who cant afford it or dont have a vehiicle to drive their kids all over or even the parents who dont care what their kids are up to.

if there was something constructive for the kids to do on their own maybe they wouldnt be so bored and get into bad stuff. i know we had the teen centre and i think it is too bad its gone, but i also think you have to catch kids when they are younger than teens. once they reach the teens they are past the rec centre thing.

in other cities i have lived there are community rec centres either utulizing part of the school or another building with a gym. there are free activities (free or very affordable) there are pick up sports of all kinds, crafts, clubs, dances... for all ages. the kids start young and just stay with their group doing stuff they enjoy. so many kids used these programs and did things that they would never get a chance to do otherwise because their families couldnt afford it or didnt have the time or whatever, but the kids loved it and were 'good'.

i thing the youth in our city is bored. and thats not the whole cure, of course what others are saying too, disipline, kids raising kids, lack of knowledge, all that other stuff too.

i agree , to an extent,,, the skatepark that was so hard fought for,,, it is not a place that i want my kid to hang out at ,, but he loves it,, he loves to skate,,, last yr. before it was open, he was not suppose to be there but him and his buddies were there, a couple of kids , took his hat, rubbed it in their crotch, spit in it , and the proceeded to pee on it,,,and then proceeded to tell him if he told , they would kill him,, when he got home he told me about it , and at noting that i was going for my jacket, he told me not to go there as i would make matters worse for him,,, so i didn't, but i told him i was calling the cops,,' no , mom ,,, that will make matters so much worse for me,,, they will know it was me!" ,,, this is not right for something that we have fought so hard for , for our youth!!

Striker
04-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I blame today's adults.

I blame a court system that can handcuff a parent.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-08-2009, 09:25 AM
I remember doing stuff like that when I was a young. Pretty much all of us in our class did. We would hang out, play knicky knocky nine doors, throw eggs at cars(Devils night), TP other friends parents places, rearrange peoples lawn decoration(to other peoples yards). The list is endless! Is it right no, but kids are mischievous at times at least they aren't getting caught with drugs or pulling an armed robbery. Way to many kids are growing up way to fast. These teens would be the least of my concern.

All those things mentioned are pretty much in the prank category. However when you steal or vandalize thats a different story..

Konig-OV
04-08-2009, 09:25 AM
i agree , to an extent,,, the skatepark that was so hard fought for,,, it is not a place that i want my kid to hang out at ,, but he loves it,, he loves to skate,,, last yr. before it was open, he was not suppose to be there but him and his buddies were there, a couple of kids , took his hat, rubbed it in their crotch, spit in it , and the proceeded to pee on it,,,and then proceeded to tell him if he told , they would kill him,, when he got home he told me about it , and at noting that i was going for my jacket, he told me not to go there as i would make matters worse for him,,, so i didn't, but i told him i was calling the cops,,' no , mom ,,, that will make matters so much worse for me,,, they will know it was me!" ,,, this is not right for something that we have fought so hard for , for our youth!!

Exactly, these kids, if caught, will get a slap on the wrist and let go. Your son on the other hand will face years of fear from these morons. Kids who comit these crimes know nothing will happen to them, there is no fear factor anymore.

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Right now I am frightened beyond all belief...

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Vandalizing other people's property is serious in my opinion. I would like to see what you think if your place was trashed or something stolen and if you think it was trivial...

The 6th Member Of AC/DC
04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I have always said that the best way to punish these kids is to allow the victim of stolen or vandalized property be allowed to randomly return the favor with no warning whatsoever. Wanna bet they wont like their own medicine??

MaO3
04-08-2009, 09:58 AM
I think that with these kids that they need to know right now that this is NOT acceptable behaviour and should be made to make restitution for the damages ect.. The problem in my opinion with the idea that this isn't serious - is that unless they are made to realize what they did was wrong they will move on to perhaps bigger and more serious crimes.

I think thats part of the problem with the YOA (cause I can't remember what its really called) kids are NOT made accountable for thier actions. So hey what the hell lets get out there and cause a bunch more crap cause all we'll get is a slap on the wrist and told to behave.
Make them re-build the flower bed, and have them do a bunch of weeding etc down at the waterfront so that they have some idea that what they did was NOT acceptable.

dancingqueen
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I think that with these kids that they need to know right now that this is NOT acceptable behaviour and should be made to make restitution for the damages ect.. The problem in my opinion with the idea that this isn't serious - is that unless they are made to realize what they did was wrong they will move on to perhaps bigger and more serious crimes.

I think thats part of the problem with the YOA (cause I can't remember what its really called) kids are NOT made accountable for thier actions. So hey what the hell lets get out there and cause a bunch more crap cause all we'll get is a slap on the wrist and told to behave.
Make them re-build the flower bed, and have them do a bunch of weeding etc down at the waterfront so that they have some idea that what they did was NOT acceptable.

It's called the YCJA (Youth Criminal Justice Act)
And if you think they just get a slap on the wrist, you need to stop watching too much TV, there are repercussions to their actions, they are just not made public.

MaO3
04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Ya OK DQ - I've been in the courts and seen it first hand. What do they get hmmmm let me see probation.
I've seen kids accused of violent crimes get NOTHING! 2 years probation what the hell is that. I've seen a man loose his wife, his home, his ability to work and what did the kids involved get --- S.F.A. -- probation!! Big effing deal.

My dear friend is a probation officer - a YOUTH probation officer and let me tell you even my friend says that there is a serious problem with the system.

NewCasa
04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Vandalizing other people's property is serious in my opinion. I would like to see what you think if your place was trashed or something stolen and if you think it was trivial...

Yes of course it's serious. And I've had the pleasure of having my place trashed and stuff stolen more than once - several times actually. Makes me madder than hell. I don't just want to charge the scum - I want to tear off their arms and beat them with them.

Then I calm down and realize that emotions can't make the laws. Compassion and common sense should. These are KIDS we're talking about here. Eye for an eye will ruin them for life and they will be repeat offenders till they die. I am not saying coddle them, but I am suggesting that in situations like this we should target our efforts at making this a learning experience for the kids and maybe even their parents, if warranted.

SWRKR 01
04-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Hey Ma.....A little pumped here are ya?..LOL

You are right though. I see it everyday.

dancingqueen
04-08-2009, 11:24 AM
well, I have seen otherwise. is the system perfect? no. did you know the terms of the probation? You shouldn't regardless of weather you are the victim or not.
You've seen kids accused of violent crimes get nothing? I have seen people of all walks of life get accused of all sorts of things get nothing... you do know what "accused" means right? :) this person that lost his wife, home, ability to work etc... how the kids where involved makes a lot of difference.
I understand the combination of people wanting revenge more than to rehabilitate combined with people being nosy and not wanting to admit it make this a hot topic subject and when these problems are called to light people get defensive and will desperately scramble to any excuse they can think of.

MaO3
04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
DQ lets just say that they kids were involved in an attack on an man who barely survived. How do I know what happened with respect to thier probation? The parents of one of the boys told me in disgust. He thought his kid needed to go to jail for his part in this. Hows that.

I know that the system isn't perfect, all I'm saying is that there could be a change in the way that kids are handled and maybe just maybe making them and holding them accountable for thier actions will have some LONGTERM effect on their behaviours.

SWRKR - You know how we raised our kids, there were consequences and they bloodly well knew if they screwed up that they would have to deal with them. Thats all I"m saying.

Hope
04-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Right now I am frightened beyond all belief...

hahahaha

nikaza
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I think alot of it has to do with the fact there is too fine a line drawn between child abuse and parents punishing.

Growing up I was too scared to do anything because I didn't want my dad to 'spank' me! Remember when your mom would say " just wait until your father hears about this" and how scared you were! Now a days kids know the number to CAS and will call it on their own parents.

onefortheroad
04-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I think alot of it has to do with the fact there is too fine a line drawn between child abuse and parents punishing.

Growing up I was too scared to do anything because I didn't want my dad to 'spank' me! Remember when your mom would say " just wait until your father hears about this" and how scared you were! Now a days kids know the number to CAS and will call it on their own parents.

I don't spank my kids but I always tell them not to bother calling cas I'll give them a ride there it will save time!:omg: