PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Gravy tips

Intangible
04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I was just wondering what your secrets are for great turkey gravy. Proportions? Cornstarch vs flour? Bisto? Veloutine? Chicken stock? Other secrets?

someguy
04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
I usually melt about 2 tablespoons of butter. Once melted I add a 1/4 cup of white flour stir into butter with whisk and cook it until it smells nutty. The I strain the turkey drippings through a cheescloth and add them slowly until the desired thickness is reached. I then add salt, pepper and some nutmeg. This usually makes about 4 cups of gravy.

emeraldlee
04-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I cook my turkey with no water and it makes the richest darkest gravy.

Place turkey in oven with no liquid(you would think it might burns but it creates its own juice) uncovered at 400 for 20 mins then cover and lower heat to 325, cook until done (depending on size of turkey). Once you remove turkey from pan use metal spoon or wisk to remove all bits add salt to taste and then I add in flour until it is a thick paste and then start wisking in potato water until it is desired consistancy I then strain it.

My girlfriend taught me this trick and it was the best I had ever had and I have used this method now for about 20yrs.

gouligann
04-14-2009, 07:19 AM
I cook my turkey with no water and it makes the richest darkest gravy.

Place turkey in oven with no liquid(you would think it might burns but it creates its own juice) uncovered at 400 for 20 mins then cover and lower heat to 325, cook until done (depending on size of turkey). Once you remove turkey from pan use metal spoon or wisk to remove all bits add salt to taste and then I add in flour until it is a thick paste and then start wisking in potato water until it is desired consistancy I then strain it.

My girlfriend taught me this trick and it was the best I had ever had and I have used this method now for about 20yrs.

I do the same recipe, (going on 30 years) but I boil the gibletts, neck and heart and use that for the liquid for more flavor. I save some potato water in case I need more, but usually the giblett water is enough.