PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

Dragonfly
04-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Ok so, I am going to sault college in the fall but I cant find a sitter that is close to me or sault college that doesnt want payment for times that the kids are not there. The college will only pay for the hours I spend in class...does anyone know a daycare or a sitter or something, that I can do so that I dont have to miss out on going to school?

KelBear
04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
How old is your child?? Why not try the daycare @ the college..?? and get subsidy thru the city? I pay $55 a month and my daughter is in the Daycare everyday.. Depends on what you need I guess..

tasma
04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
what about finding out about a parenting co op? See if there are other parents that can watch your kids and you can sub out and watch theirs at different times that your available.
Or maybe there are other parents in the same course find out what arrangements they have made for their kids and see if you can use their sitter for the same price?
Or maybe someone on here could help you out with some babysitting.

Tutones
04-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Ok so, I am going to sault college in the fall but I cant find a sitter that is close to me or sault college that doesnt want payment for times that the kids are not there. The college will only pay for the hours I spend in class...does anyone know a daycare or a sitter or something, that I can do so that I dont have to miss out on going to school?

Alternative Day Care at Alexander Henry. They are AWESOME with the kids, you can apply for subsidy that will cover for extra hours or you can choose half days for some days as well, if your classes are not all day. You will likely find that some extra time to get your homework done will be needed outside class times. They are only open/charge for school days. (And it's not very far from Sault College)

Good luck!

kitca
04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
there is the private home daycare that goes through the daycare organization and it is inspected and monitored etc. there could be some close by the college or where you live. my daughter went to one sort of in the soo college area that was just incredible. there is subsidizing (sp?) available through that.

Dragonfly
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Well one is old enough for the sault college one but my youngest is not. Where do I go to find out about the things that you guys have mentioned? Subsidy and what not. The henry wont allow me in unless I am on welfare or attending that school, which I am doing neither of...

Tutones
04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Well one is old enough for the sault college one but my youngest is not. Where do I go to find out about the things that you guys have mentioned? Subsidy and what not. The henry wont allow me in unless I am on welfare or attending that school, which I am doing neither of...

Wrong. The Alternative Daycare at Alexander Henry will accept anyone who is on subsidy or not. Both my children attended the Alternative School Childcare and I work full time.(Don't confuse it with the YMCA one downstairs). They take infants as well as toddlers. The majority of the the children there are the children of working parents who are neither on Welfare nor attending Alexander Henry. Call them - if you get on a waiting list now you most will likely have a spot before September.

Misschix
04-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Contact child care algoma...
I was in within 2 weeks to a GREAT home
My kids absolutely love going there
You can get subsidy as well

Dragonfly
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
oh cool ok. I will try both of those out!

BigDreams
04-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Good luck finding child care!

Sorry about the OT question, but; what program are you doing? I'll be moving to Sault in the Fall from 9 hours away and am pretty nervous that I don't know anyone (though I know thats how most college student start out).
Maybe it's time I make my own Sault College thread.

Dragonfly
04-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Haha well I am taking academic upgrading so unless you are doing that I more than likely wont see you. But next year as long as all goes well I hope to start. But my boyfriend took pretrades this year and is taking the millrite course next year.

But back on the topic thanks guys I think I got my subsidy coming and a daycare :). Thanks muchly!

Dragonfly
04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Contact child care algoma...
I was in within 2 weeks to a GREAT home
My kids absolutely love going there
You can get subsidy as well

Who are you going to? I should be in with Kim Boyer. She is a family friend

Sophie's_Mommy
04-09-2009, 10:47 AM
did u get my msg?

Barry Morris
04-09-2009, 10:58 AM
If you get subsidy, you should consider putting the child in ALL day, everyday, not just when you are in class.

From what I've seen and heard, first year students are loaded down big time with work, homework and all. They just want to get rid of you and keep your tuition!!! You'll appreciate to time to yourself, especially that first semester.

Dragonfly
04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Well as I said I am going to upgrading so there is no tuition and such and its work at your own pace so the load is what I choose it to be. But basically they said after the subsidy I only pay 3 dollars a day no matter how long they are there for. So SOMEDAYS I will leave them there for their own social interaction but usually I will bring them home. As nice as the break is I like them around and would rather raise them rather than someone else.

And yeah Sophies Mommy I did but my msn is messing up and I got my babysitting in order now I think, sorry. My only issue was that I had a daycare lined up but no proper funds for it, but now I have both lined up if all goes well. If anything changes I will definately let you know.

verotik66
04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
How old is your child?? Why not try the daycare @ the college..?? and get subsidy thru the city? I pay $55 a month and my daughter is in the Daycare everyday.. Depends on what you need I guess..

damn i pay 10x that for 2 days per week