PDA

View Full Version : New Harmonized Sales Tax

MaO3
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Got this in an email today. I had heard a bit about it on the news but not much. After reading this email I'm not real happy about this. I know that this is a political issue but its one that will affect every one of us. Please leave it in the Soapbox.

Today, smack dab in the middle of a tsunami of horrible economic news, the Ontario provincial Liberal government has introduced what many will see as a massive tax grab, just when we all can least afford it.
On Canada Day, July 1st, 2010, Ontarians can not only celebrate the birth of their nation, they can also celebrate a new harmonized sales tax system that will pump up the coffers of our provincial government and empty out the pockets of taxpayers.

But don't worry people ... we have elected a compassionate and magnanimous crew down at Queen's Park. They've announced that over a two year period, you'll be receiving three rebate cheques that will total $1,000 as a hand up from your elected officials to help offset the costs you "might" incur due to the sales tax harmonization.

What, pray tell, might those extra costs that you "might" incur be on? That KFC Wrapper you pick up for lunch; your morning cup 'o joe at Timmy's; that newspaper you read; that vet bill you willingly pay for your beloved pet; your prescription drugs; the gas you put in your car; the oil or gas you have delivered to your home to keep you and your family warm; etc. etc.

$166 a year to drink coffee and eat snacks at work;
$156 a year to drive your car;
$72 a year extra to heat your home;
$55 a year to get your hair cut, go out and see a movie and send your clothes to the cleaners;
$33 a year to read The Star;
$50 a year to to prevent pregnancy (The Pill);

These are but a few that I've worked out as a starting point. As you can see, in year 1, we're already over $500 (remember the bribe the Liberals are giving us, that $1,000 rebate cheque spread over two years). As I said, this is only just a starting point and I've used very conservative figures like $20 a month for haircuts, $20 a month for dry cleaning and $10 a month for movies.

Thinking about selling your home? Add about $2,000 to your closing costs.

So tell me, why aren't you bowing down and scrapping your forehead off the floor at the feet of Dalton McGuinty et al thanking them so much for that extra $1,000 rebate cheque (which, by the way also is only for the first two years after implementation, after that its all gravy for the government)? I know my forehead will be clean, and come Oct. 2011 when the next provincial government election happens, I will remember this and remind as many other Ontario voters as I can, thank you very much.
This opinion article was written by an independent writer. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not necessarily intended to reflect those of DigitalJournal.com

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/269917

Sophie's_Mommy
04-09-2009, 05:33 PM
when i bought my new tv a few days ago, i got it at the brick and i had to pay a 10 fee for disposal of the tv in years form now when it is ready to be disposed..lol..i guess its a new thing...

04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Couple of things that need clarification. I thought it was $1000 a year, not two. And "just when we all can least afford it". if I can't afford an extra $156 a year to drive my car, i don't think i should own one if I'm that worried about the extra cost. That's an extra $13 a month.

I do think it sucks, but I doubt it's going to change, even if we elect a new government. Our country spent a lot of money toward things that we all wanted, (One way or another). We all want new roads, new jobs, better places of entertainment, new and better things. But that takes money, it's a vicious circle that everyone wants to get more and pay less.

Kinger
04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
There was no actual information here bout harmonized sales tax. Just the ramblings of some frustrated person. Harmonized sales tax will help. And it will cause difficulties in those who don't pay tax to get rebates, which in my opinion is a good thing.

MaO3
04-09-2009, 06:17 PM
We will be paying tax on things that have not previously taxed. Like we need more taxes. Adding the provincial tax to basically everything we buy or any service we use, when its never been applied before.

04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
When it's all said and done, and I go buy, lets say, a dvd at $20, how much tax we looking at?

MaO3
04-09-2009, 06:22 PM
DVD will not cost you anything extra, its combining the GST and PST which you already pay to buy a dvd.

However when you go to the dentist he will now be forced to charge HST instead of just GST. So add 6%, same for fuel 6% increase, where we have only been paying GST we will now be forced to pay the additional 6%.

04-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I see, when I pay the invoices at work for all the services, they just charge GST on their invoices (Since it's a service), once in effect, they will have to charge HST? Which combines GST and PST?

MaO3
04-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Yes Sir

effectively adding 8% to all services and some goods that are not taxed currently, like FOOD!

Carolyn
04-09-2009, 06:27 PM
PST is actually 8 %

MaO3
04-09-2009, 06:29 PM
oops, sorry. So its 8% and gst is 5% sorry I mixed up the numbers.

Carolyn
04-09-2009, 06:30 PM
nope GST is down to 5% now

MaO3
04-09-2009, 06:35 PM
sorry! Your right Carolyn. Gst is 5% and PST is 8%. My mistake.

Damm that makes it worse. They'll be adding 8% to everything.

Carolyn
04-09-2009, 06:36 PM
I know....as if we don't pay enough for hydro and gas, next year there will be another 8% added to our bills

MaO3
04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
To me and our household thats a 320.00 additional a year for heat and electricity.
To me thats not "nothing"

Super Gram
04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
To a retired person that is something.

Jackie B
04-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I know books only have one of the taxes, and now will have two. That's just one example of many, how we are going to be affected. He kept his promise to lower the GST, and is now merging them to make up for the loss in other ways, and ensuring the percentage can never go down again.

Tutones
04-10-2009, 01:02 AM
Baby formula, diapers, children's clothing will all no longer be PST exempt as well. Nice kick in the teeth for a new mom on maternity leave.