PDA

View Full Version : Latest leather project.

Chako
04-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I just finished this one a few minutes ago. I think many of you will know who commissioned this one once you see the name on the dog collar.

I was hesitant at first to take up this project. I like to show my work..but don't really do it for advertizing. Truth is, it isn't a business, and I don't have the time to devote to this if it were. However, as some of you know, I do take on the odd project..especially if I like the person, or the project is challenging/intriguing enough for me.

This is a special dog collar for a person I met once before on a photography jaunt. That was partly why I took this one on. Also, it was a dog collar. I have done one of these before..but nothing like what she wanted...and that was very intriguing.

Time for some pictures.

Here is the 3 piece western buckle chosen by the customer. Note how I place the stars up and down in a pattern.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r207/Chako_photo/IMG_0083small.jpg

During our many online conversations, she wanted a separate place for the dog tags. I had to look very hard to find something suitable for this. This image shows the dog tag clasp (the only one I had that would work for this purpose), and the name. I dyed the name tag a red to make it stick out from the background.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r207/Chako_photo/IMG_0085small.jpg

Once I fixed the 6 gold star conchos on the collar, I didn't like the overall feel. It is an odd thing. When I work with leather, I never have a goal in mind. I let the piece dictate my work, and therefore the end result. Not sure if I can explain that better. The piece didn't feel right. I decided to dye parts black. In part because of one of our prior conversations about working with black leather, and partly because the black really highlights the silver and gold in the conchos. I also wanted the piece to be broken up a little by the stars..thus the star edging dictating where I dyed the piece.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r207/Chako_photo/IMG_0086small.jpg

And here is the larger view.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r207/Chako_photo/IMG_0087small.jpg

I just hope the person I made this for likes it.

dodgegirl
04-12-2009, 03:30 PM
AWWWWWWWWSOME... My daughter still has the purse and belt you made for her and she loves it, the only thing is she will not wear the belt in fear of not looking like it did when you brought it lol... BUT SHE LOVES IT..

Peety
04-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Very Nice,,

MaO3
04-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Nice job as always Chako. My husband still wears the belt that you made him. He's very proud of the fact that he its a One-of-a-kind.

bluekrissyspikes
04-13-2009, 01:10 AM
you are very talented. for someone who is pretty artistic, do you think it would be a hard skill to pick up? it looks like fun.

Chako
04-13-2009, 08:06 AM
I am self taught...and if I can do it..then I would imagine anyone could.

I started slow about 8 years ago. Baby steps. Now I think I can do pretty much anything if I set my mind to it.

There is a lot to know, and that is part of the draw for me. I never get bored with it as I am still constantly learning.

I got into this in an odd way. I was walking in one of the pawnshops when a non descriptive box caught my attention. I didn't look closely at it the first time. I went up and down a few more aisles and eventually went back to the box out of curiosity. I found a bunch of tools inside I had never seen before. I asked around and nobody knew what they were for. I bought them on the spot. My father thought I was crazy...seeing as he had never seen them either. So we both were clueless. When I got home, I looked them up on the Internet and found out they were leather tools. I had inadvertently bought about 600 dollars worth of hand tools (I found the kit on the net) for the princely sum of 57 dollars.

I figured since I got such a grand deal, I should look up exactly what and how to do leather working. The giant kit came with 3 books. Before you know it, I had bought many more, read them all, and started to practice. I first started on scrap pieces of leather that the Tarp Farm gave me when I showed up on their doorstep for supplies. My next step was to buy a bag of 25 leather ovals. I gradually made things bigger and better. A few months later, I figured out that if I punch two holes, buy some wooden dowels, I could make decorative hair pieces. Most females at my workplace got a few of those during my learning phase.

Then I got into making purses, belts, etc...and also into dying leather. It does take some time, and I am still learning.

It is a wonderful hobby.

If there is a downside...its the expense of the tools and leather. Even with the steal of a deal on my first kit...I figure I have spend roughly over 7k to date on tools and materials. It has taken me years to gradually buy stuff. I am at the point where I have all the tools and stamps I need to do pretty much anything I could imagine by hand. I still do not have a proffesional leather sewing machine, and a few of the bigger ticket times. These are just time savers and super expensive. There are plenty of specialty tools for belts, purses, and other projects. Just go over to the Tandy Leathercraft site to see just how many tools there are that you may eventualy need once you get into the larger items. The nice thing is that you don't need them all right now. The bad part is that once you start to fly sort of speak..you will be buying them later..and this stuff only goes up in price each year. Another bet is to do garage sales..I kid you not.

Also...Tandy Leathercraft also has a monthly sale. You can save a bit of money from month to month depending on what you need. The Tarp Farm is their local dealer in the Sault.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Your best bet is to get one of the cheaper starter sets/kits to start off with.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/department/Starter-Sets/Starter-Sets.aspx?navlocation=left

I hope this answered your question.

And for everyone else....fantastic! :)

bluekrissyspikes
04-13-2009, 01:50 PM
thanks. i'm going to look into it. i can't really afford to spend that much but maybe if i ask for it for my birthday or x-mas i'll get it.

GoldDogs
04-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Its beautiful!!!!!

GoldDogs
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
It is so Gorgeous! I can't stop looking at it!

Chako
04-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Bluekrissyspikes. It is a wonderful craft. You don't have to spend a lot to start with. It can get expensive. I know a few people who have spent almost as much as I have in scrap booking.

Yorkie. Happy you like it.

bluekrissyspikes
04-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Bluekrissyspikes. It is a wonderful craft. You don't have to spend a lot to start with. It can get expensive. I know a few people who have spent almost as much as I have in scrap booking.

Yorkie. Happy you like it.

lol..that's true. i like to start with everything i need though so i can jump in with both feet and possibly drown. :teeth: i'm pretty spoiled though, and my b-day is coming up next month so i think i'll get one. who knows though.