PDA

View Full Version : weight gain

Sophie's_Mommy
04-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Ok i have a problem and im going to make a appointment to see my doctor cause there is just something that is not right.
When i got pregnant i weighed 160 pounds, the day i gave birth i was at 180 pounds.. Now after i had her, i eat healthy, i dont over eat i walk everyday, exercise and my diet is no diffrent then it was before and during pregnancy and i never gained weight. Now it seems im gaining 5 pounds per week and thats no joke, i only eat lunch, i don t eat breakfast, for supper i may eat or i may just have a bowl of healthy cereal and that is it..i may at times have a cookie or two, but what im trying to say is i dont over do it or eat junk food all the time. Now i dont know if maybe having a baby put my hormones all out of whack. I was never suppose to have kids due to hormonal problems so maybe having a baby did something to my body. I have NEVER been this heavy ever, i dont want to say what i weigh on here ( its not 300 pounds though..lol.) but if you pm i ll tell you.
Could it be a thyroid problem? Im going to see my dr. i just wanted to knwo if anyone has ever had those problem where just suddenly you started gaining weight by the week. i weigh myself every tuesday and everytime i get on the scale its kike 5 pounds if not more heavier then the last week. It is very depressing. I had to go out yesterday and spend like 500 on clothes that fit me cause all my stuff is two small. I look in the mirror and almost cry cause it sucks. It took me 4 years too loose 70 pounds i got down to 160 and now im back up there again...any advice or anyone else have this happen or know what it could be?

PS. I DONT NEED ANY RUDE COMMENTS FROM ANYONE ONE HERE.. :)

someguy
04-15-2009, 10:58 AM
First problem is 3 meals a day. Breakfast is the most important one of the day. Stay away from sugar, cookies, Swiss Chalet chesscake, poutine,custard and pies. Eat lots of veggies and fruit as well and that may help.

Jst4u
04-15-2009, 11:05 AM
After you have a child, everything changes. I used to be 130lbs eating McDonalds every day and washing it down with chocolate bars lol I was 210 lbs the day I gave birth (ALL water retention) and now I'm 160lbs...but I sure don't look it, IMO. It's all boob for me haha But if I so much as look at McDonalds, I gain 5 lbs.

I agree with someguy, though. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you're not that big of an eater, I would say eat 5 small, healthy meals a day. Don't do the 3 main meals and gorge yourself for each one. It's not healthy.

Sophie's_Mommy
04-15-2009, 11:15 AM
i cant eat in the morning, but i guess i can try, and im not a big eater at all, i only eat when im hungry and its not alot before im full...and yes the cheesecake is no good someguy and im cutting put all sugar and sweets as of today. but when i do eat sugar or sweets its not alot..i eat fruits and veggies. i dunno its very frustrating. But i will try to eat 3 small meals a day all being healthy, breakfast will be a challenge cause i have a hard time swallowing food int he morning..lol.
the thing is is my eating habits have been the same for the past 6 years and ki never gained a pound, if anything id loose a pound. but after i had the baby i gain weight just looking at food..lol..makes me not want to eat anything at all but i know that is not good ...all i can do is try to eat better and exercise everyday, i do walk everyday with the baby and we walk for about 2 hours per day..now that the weather is nice and snow is gone i can start to bike again, i just bought one of those trailers that the baby goes in and you pull with your bike, so that will be a little tougher to bike but the workout will be good..
i think that something more is going on in my body then just eating..i think a hormone or thyroid os out of whack ..i dunno..i guess i ll have to wait and see what the dr says and till then eat fruits and veggies and no sweets or pop....i can go my entire life without sweets but pop is my weakness :(

Browningfan
04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you dont' eat breakfast your body thinks your not going to feed it, and goes into Fat storeage mode.

Try to eat something even one peice of toast is better than nothing.

$Spendbender$
04-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I agree with Browning.

Even if you have yogurt or a piece of fruit, it's better than nothing.

Misschix
04-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Ive gained alot fo weight since i had my third child...

I used to weigh 97 lbs....im at 168 right now....

My problem is drinking beer lol

I started power walking, 50 crunches a day, eating breakfast (I never ate breakfast either)
and trying not to eat late at night which is hard cause i work nights...

make sure you take vitamins as well.....

good luck with the dr..

Intangible
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
If I were you, I would ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian. Perhaps you need some help with choosing the right foods and the right proportions, so that you're eating enough, and you're getting all the fuel your body needs to function. Like someone said above, if you eat too little, your body will tend to hold onto any calories you give it. Insufficient nutrition causes muscle loss, as your body will break down muscle to get the nutrients that you're not giving it. Less muscle=lower basal metabolic rate=gain weight.

Tutones
04-15-2009, 05:27 PM
If it is a thyroid problem you will notice other symptoms such as extreme fatigue, hairloss, dry skin/hair etc... that will clue you in.

The posters above are right about the 3 meals a day. You're metabolism actually slows down if you don't eat at regular intervals. You can effectively gain weight on less calories if you don't eat regularly.

A complete physical is a good idea, though, as other things can cause you're metabolism to slow down as well.

Sophie's_Mommy
04-15-2009, 06:27 PM
well i am always tired lately and i have extremely dry skin on my face, the doctor actually gave me cream for it it was making it all dry and flaky and red..it seems to be a little better since i started using that cream, i have dry scalp which i never had before..maybe it is a thyroid problem. I went shopping today bought fruits veggies and yogurt and healthy stuff and im going to try to eat 3 means a day all healthy, im going to write down everything i eat even if i have half a cookie..which i wont but im just saying and i ll give it a month if i still have the same problem i will bring my journal to the doctors with me and show her...its just really depressing and i dont understand why its happening so fast. i could see if i ate all day and it was all junk but that is not the case at all..
thanks for all the advise and im going to try some of it starting today :)

gewgaw
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
maybe your metabolism or hormones.... underactive thyroid?? i dont know

kitca
04-15-2009, 07:00 PM
this senario happened to me a few years back. i gained about 5 pounds a week and at that time i was going to tops and i know i was eating well and exercising. i was also started to loose handfuls of hair.

problem with standard memical tests are that sometimes you definatly have a problem but it does show up on the tests. you still come back within normal ranges. your hormones really can go crazy after having a baby. and especially the extra stress can cause a breakdown of hormones.

check out some google searches on thyroid, on adreanal burnout, and post-natal hormone levels. see if your symptoms match. i had so many symptoms that i didnt even realize i had, i just thought it was all part of being a new working mother and all of that.

kitty&mimi
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
sounds like thyroid.
mind you, ur body goes to **** after having a baby...
when u mentioned dry, flaky skin that is what made me think of low thyroid, also do u have dry eyes? that's another symptom
just google 'hypothyroidism symptoms' and see if that is you...
when u go to the dr he/she will check ur thyroid (bloodwork)

someguy
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Also if blood tests sometimes come back normal you may have Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome

Amaranth
04-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Also if blood tests sometimes come back normal you may have Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome

A physician is unlikely to agree with that; usually one needs to see a naturpath if that is suspected. For some reason, doctors do not believe in low body temp/normal thyroid hormone secretion amounting to Wilson's. My tests were normal but I have a low body temp and still have many symptoms of thyroid disease after many years of thyroid hormones and I have seen many doctors who rolled their eyes when I mentioned Wilson's lol. Apparently it wasn't Wilson's. I just found out it is a thyroid tumour a few weeks ago but the doctors sure thought I was crazy at the mere mention of Wilsons.

someguy
04-15-2009, 10:34 PM
A physician is unlikely to agree with that; usually one needs to see a naturpath if that is suspected. For some reason, doctors do not believe in low body temp/normal thyroid hormone secretion amounting to Wilson's. My tests were normal but I have a low body temp and still have many symptoms of thyroid disease after many years of thyroid hormones and I have seen many doctors who rolled their eyes when I mentioned Wilson's lol. Apparently it wasn't Wilson's. I just found out it is a thyroid tumour a few weeks ago but the doctors sure thought I was crazy at the mere mention of Wilsons.

My doc is the one who told me about Wilson's. Put me on Eltroxin and my temp went up no longer tired and blood tests were all normal

Amaranth
04-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Every doctor I saw thought I was crazy when I mentioned it. I did see a naturpath several years ago when I lived down South and I was told my body temp was too low but once my family physician had my thyroid meds regulated I was fine. Last year my thyroid became really large and although I have always eaten healthy and exercised regularly I gained between 5 and 10 pounds a month. I brought up Wilson's to my doctor and an endocronologist in recent months and they rolled their eyes at me.

I have been on Eltroxin since I was a teenager but my body temp is really low right now and the blood test results come back saying my TSH is fine. Maybe all the symptoms will go away when they just remove the thyroid. Hopefully.

$Spendbender$
04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
sounds like thyroid.
mind you, ur body goes to **** after having a baby...
when u mentioned dry, flaky skin that is what made me think of low thyroid, also do u have dry eyes? that's another symptom
just google 'hypothyroidism symptoms' and see if that is you...
when u go to the dr he/she will check ur thyroid (bloodwork)

Those are also the symptoms of age, weather changes, childbirth, allergies and about 100 other ailments.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but WHY do overweight people always pull the "thyroid card"? I know about 6 people who are on thyroid meds and they aren't helping them lose weight or feel better. I think that's just something Doctors throw at women to shut them up.

Seriously. After I had a few children, got older, developed allergies, gained weight, my Doctor said "Oh, it MUST be your thyroid!!" He tested it, and guess what? Normal.

lynys
04-16-2009, 09:19 AM
It could be any number of things. I know a person who found out she was lactose intolerant and allergic to gluten, and when she cut both of those out of her diet, lost a major amount of weight.

I would say to make sure you get a ton of exercise and eat properly, which you were not doing to begin with.

kitty&mimi
04-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Those are also the symptoms of age, weather changes, childbirth, allergies and about 100 other ailments.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but WHY do overweight people always pull the "thyroid card"? I know about 6 people who are on thyroid meds and they aren't helping them lose weight or feel better. I think that's just something Doctors throw at women to shut them up.

Seriously. After I had a few children, got older, developed allergies, gained weight, my Doctor said "Oh, it MUST be your thyroid!!" He tested it, and guess what? Normal.

im not saying it's JUST her thyroid
ya i agree it could be ANYTHING, from allergies to just hormonal crap after having a baby
that's why i suggested she google the symptoms
dry skin could be just plain dry skin, to hormonal changes (ie childbirth, period etc) to thyroid issues (yes i said it!!!) to lack of essential fatty acids....who knows, only her dr. can help her though

and i do hate to say it but hypothyroidism does cause weight gain
and once 'fixed' with meds, it doesnt make it easy to lose weight, IT IS POSSIBLE to lose weight once on thyroid meds , i repeat it is possible! hypothyroidism is not a death sentence, it's just a hurdle to get over

try exfoliating for the dry skin :)

Sophie's_Mommy
04-16-2009, 09:43 AM
and to YOU and yes i know who it was that left that rude comment in my rep.comments, your comments do not bother me at all..lol..i could say my fair share about you and your life but i choose not to cause i m the better person..grow up!! you keep leaving these harassing messages in my prep comments. Do u not have anything better to do? If you put your time towards something more productive then the time you put into harassing me you would get father in life..Im to old to play your high school games and your way older then i m and yet you act like a little child..there is a way to find out who is leaving these msgs and thats how i know it is you...

anyways im trying to make a appointment today with my doctor she was not in yesterday...i ll ask her everything you guys have mentioned on here. Its just frustrating cause i dont eat alot at all..i eat very little and even hubby said, he eats more then me and for anyone who knows him they know he eats very little as well..lol he is a skinny tall guy....i dunno, i know it has to do with having the baby, my hormones were screwy before i had her and thats why they said i would never have a baby and maybe my hormones are more screwed now that i did have a baby..

Sophie's_Mommy
04-16-2009, 09:45 AM
My doc is the one who told me about Wilson's. Put me on Eltroxin and my temp went up no longer tired and blood tests were all normal

were you cold all the time? cause im hot all the time..lol..i always have to have the fan on and the windows open , even when i was 160 pounds i was still hot all the time..

Sophie's_Mommy
04-16-2009, 09:48 AM
IT IS POSSIBLE to lose weight once on thyroid meds , i repeat it is possible! hypothyroidism is not a death sentence, it's just a hurdle to get over

try exfoliating for the dry skin :)

oh it is possible to loose weight that is correct, i lost 80 pounds in 2 years and was at a nice healthy good looking weight, then this happens..lol..

yes i do exfoliate my skin as well but its always dry, just my face and in my eye brows and scalp now...grrr pisses me off..lol.
my one left eye is blurry now, that started when i got pregnant, if i close my right eye i can not make out words and faces seem blurry..i have to see a eye doctor for that..and my hair does not fall out that i notice, i have extremely thick hair and when i brush it i always have alot of hair in the brush and when i shower and rinse my hair i always have hair that comes out so i dont know if im losing hair, its the same as it always was..

Jst4u
04-16-2009, 10:02 AM
were you cold all the time? cause im hot all the time..lol..i always have to have the fan on and the windows open , even when i was 160 pounds i was still hot all the time..

I used to be cold all the time. I had a baby and now I'm always boiling. Even in the winter, I'm still really hot all the time.

I would say make sure you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and eat healthy food. Like someone else said, if you miss meals, your body will instantly take any food you put into it, and store it (fat) and you will gain weight.

Sophie's_Mommy
04-16-2009, 10:11 AM
I used to be cold all the time. I had a baby and now I'm always boiling. Even in the winter, I'm still really hot all the time.

I would say make sure you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and eat healthy food. Like someone else said, if you miss meals, your body will instantly take any food you put into it, and store it (fat) and you will gain weight.

ya i know im always hot it sucks..lol..
this morning i had fruit salad, i cut up strawberry's, raspberry's, blackberry's, cantaloupe and banana's..and out it on plain yogurt.I was able to eat it, i guess cause it was light..
for lunch im having steamed broccoli over plain whole wheat rice. no butter or anything, and supper i think i ll make fish and rice...
im only drinking water and skim milk. no pop or juice. pop is going to be hard, i love pop, i have like 2 cases of Pepsi and a bottle of root beer in the fridge, hubby does not drink pop,. so im going to have to give it to my mom or else i ll want to drink it..lol

Jst4u
04-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Pop is definitely a killer if you're trying to lose weight. I'm not a morning eater, either, but yeah...the fruit and yogurt thing is a great morning meal for me, too.

If you stay away from pastas and breads, that will help, too. Not sure if you eat much of that...but it helps. Try rice noodles and whole grain foods. Much healthier.

And avoid salt!!! That is a killer...literally.

kitty&mimi
04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
even diet pop is bad!

kitca
04-16-2009, 05:04 PM
yes - all pop and sports drinks diet and non diet!!!! also, just a tip, add some walnuts and some bran buds to your fruit and yogurt mixture for some fibre and healthy oils and protien. (its also delicious)

EyelashExtensions
04-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Thyroid problems are at higher rates around the great lakes basin than a lot of places. I think that's why most Drs. around here rule that out first. It could be anything though. If you were more active before the baby, that could have something to do with it. Not getting out as much as you were or walking etc...

kitty&mimi
04-17-2009, 09:53 AM
ya they call it the "goiter belt"

Sophie's_Mommy
04-17-2009, 10:08 AM
well i have a appointment next week with my doctor...till them its only fruits veggies brown rice and water for me..lol..and lots of walking everyday..i love to walk though..i have a doctors appointment for the baby check up today after that im going to go to the mall and maybe if it is nice whitefish island..

and for the loser who keeps harassing me and sending me rude msgs, you can grow up anytime...you dont bother me at all , it just makes you look even me stupider then you already are...

Intangible
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Don't forget protein at each meal.

bluekrissyspikes
04-17-2009, 07:02 PM
i have similar problems after the birth of each of my kids. i've been tested for a bunch of things but everything came back within normal range so then doctors just assume i'm eating too much but most of what i eat is veggies, lean meat or whole grains. it seems to fix itself after a year or so