PDA

View Full Version : Buying From US - Customs Fees

HBomb
04-16-2009, 02:04 AM
I'm sure this has been asked a few times but what is the customs fees or duties or whatever on instruments/amps bought from the US? If I buy something online from the US and have it shipped to Weirs or Pak n Ship in Sault, Michigan. What should I expect to be charged once I bring it to the border/customs?

OU812
04-16-2009, 08:29 AM
taxes are the only fees i have ever paid. and that's only if you exceed a specific amount. i have bought a ton of stuff from both ebay and musicians friend . some items expensive and some not. print out your reciept from paypal or print a copy of the item with price from the web site. i have been in a few predicaments in the past from sellers not including receipts in the packages. need some sort of proof as to what you paid for the item. printing the web page eliminates the guess work.
the most important advice is DO NOT ship to your residence. customs brokers will suck up any savings you may have incurred. bought a power amp from new york and shipped to my house. shipping was $30.00 . brokerage fees were $180.00. and they wanted cash at my door. an expensive lesson learned.

ByrdDawg
04-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Sometimes if the item you have bought is only around a hundred bucks or so, they will just wave you right through.

Not too many bargains left now though with the Canadian dollar being where it is, unless you get lucky on Ebay.

The other side is you get way more variety over there then you get shopping on this side.

Do the math beforehand and you will come pretty close to what it will cost you in the end.

They charge the taxes on the Canadian dollar value.

starterwiz
04-18-2009, 03:53 AM
I just passed on a Daion Mugen Mark 2 12 string on Flea bay, and the damn thing sold for $190 grrr. There are deals right now...no-one's spending. That axe shoulda gone for 700.
I learned the same lesson. Do not ship home! I claimed a nice one over $1400, and had to pay 13%.

Greenman
04-18-2009, 10:06 AM
We are fortunate to live in a border town. If you can bring it across yourself you will save a ton. UPS and Fedex will suck the life out of your wallet.
I just ordered a custom preamp from Scotland and I am ready for a hefty customs fee but I had no choice.

OU812
04-24-2009, 07:54 AM
green dude u still alive? went by your house no one answered door couldn't get to garage because of fence locked. wtf? can't call you, can't come to your house. how do we connect??

Greenman
04-24-2009, 04:34 PM
green dude u still alive? went by your house no one answered door couldn't get to garage because of fence locked. wtf? can't call you, can't come to your house. how do we connect??

Quit your whining and check your email. lol