PDA

View Full Version : safety

mwrc1
04-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Does Bob Hiest still do safeties

_daynzy
04-16-2009, 09:58 PM
ya (as of last week) he does, but getting one done by him doesn't help you any in the long run... he overlooks too many things

fenderbass
04-17-2009, 05:39 PM
it makes me feel safe knowing that these still get done
and I'm on the road with my son..

msdvs
04-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Who would want a easy safety
I would want to know I am safe and others are

fenderbass
04-19-2009, 06:58 PM
You would be surprised.. these safeties have been done for years. It ticks me off because
the car/truck that I share the road with may have some major safety issues that were over looked. And being a mechanic myself makes me even more mad. I have checked cars and trucks that are total junk buckets and give a list of what they need. Only to see that car or truck on the road days later. And I know they were done illegally...

fenderbass
04-20-2009, 07:27 AM
You can report the shop doing it to the MTO. they will do an investigation,but it is hard to prove
unless they pull one of the cars the shop certified. And they would have to find defects to justify
charging him..

corn316
04-20-2009, 11:31 AM
some stuff can go under catch 22 like tires they can borrow some from someone for the safety then put ones that are no good back on and a shop cant get nailed for it but brakes and suspention sterring componets should never be let go at all its a mayjor thing needed.my bigest pet peev is when they let a car or van pass with roted out panels on a uni-body thats what holds the car together and keeps out the exaust fumes

Barry Morris
04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
How often does a safety issue cause an accident??

Yuo'd be surprised, in spite of media reporting to the contrary.

I had a van that I sold once years ago. I had it safetied by another mechanic, to avoid any bias.

Six months later MTO comes around. Seems the young guy was speeding, the cops chased him into the MTO, and now they wanted to know why one brake drum was oversized. And not by much.

My conversation with MTO:
MTO: A drum like that can break!!
Me: Never seen it happen.
MTO: We see it on trucks all the time.
Me: I can blow up a BRAND NEW truck drum easily.
MTO: no response

End result: nothing.

fenderbass
04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I have seen lots of broken drums in my trade..

Barry Morris
04-21-2009, 06:18 PM
So did I.

All trucks.

04-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Bob's last name is Heise, not Hiest. It's listed in the phonebook under Heise Garage in the white pages.