PDA

View Full Version : Roses help!

EyelashExtensions
04-18-2009, 08:08 PM
O.k. I broke down and bought some roses! Now what do I do? lol. I've never had roses other than some ugly looking ones that are at the side of our house(wild roses maybe they are called). I have no idea how I'm supposed to care for them. Full sun or part shade etc...Anything I need to do when I go to plant them? When is a good time to plant them? Should I leave them to grow in my greenroom for a few weeks? Ohh and pruning too! Should I prune this year or wait till they have grown for a year first.....ohh the questions I have!

Luv'inLife
04-20-2009, 08:35 AM
they can be very tempermental, my suggestion....Google it.

kitty&mimi
04-20-2009, 09:09 AM
i have roses
i prune them in the fall
they like lots of sun
or part sun/shade
i would not plant them yet, i would do it in may

the 'twigs' i prune in the fall i stick them back in the soil, sometimes they take sometimes not...

but i would google the particular rose u have
check martha stewart too

EyelashExtensions
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I googled it but found so many answers I don't know which one is the right answer. lol Maybe I'll check chapters indigo for a good book!

kitca
04-21-2009, 10:51 AM
it should say right on your rose what type it is and where to plant the crown. roses need alot of sun, full if you have it.

when you prune, you prune down to a bud that is facing outward, so the rose branches go out instead of inward.

just treat it like any new plant and give it a good hole with lots of loose compost and good soil around it. you can water it in with some transplant fertilizer, which will help the new roots. and make sure it gets enough water its first year.

i dont prune mine till spring because the branches die back, and i prune them down to the green outward buds. besides, they bloom all fall even in the cold, they are amazing. though, i guess it depends on the type. in the late fall i just pile a bunch of shredded leaves all around the base to help protect the rootball and crown.

mine were here when i first moved in and have been doing well for over 18 years now. they are hardy little devils!

EyelashExtensions
04-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks Kitca! I plan on adding more at the back of my house where the sun hits all day long. I figured nothing is back there so I might as well put in a rose garden!

Peety
04-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I use the spikes,,
and also use the leaves to protect them in the fall.
I might if it does well this year(2 year) I might build it a lean too,,

kitca
04-24-2009, 11:18 AM
roses are so beautiful, if you have the sun and the space a rose garden would be wonderful.

especially if you wait till july when all of the perineals (sp?) go on sale at 50% off, you can get some good deals.

just a little extra note here: with the lethal rose prunings there are 2 things you can do. lay them out in a garden area that is bothered by cats or other animals - it is a non lethal or cruel way of keeping them discouraged from visiting. or burn them, because they sure do hurt!